Help/ Advice for Salmon

Discussion in 'Northern California Fishing Reports' started by hanahou7, Jun 26, 2018.

1. hanahou7

hanahou7 Newbie

Name:
    Terence
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Hunter
    Hey Guys,

I like to think that I know how to fish, but for some reason, I can't get into salmon to save my life. My dad and I have been out of Moss Landing a few times with no success and decided to try Half Moon Bay yesterday for the first time. Everyone except us seemed to have their limits haha.

Here is what we did and if you have any suggestions/ recommendations, I'd really appreciate it:

Launched around 5:45am and headed with the fleet about 30 mins South West and found some nice bait balls holding around 150 ft. I set a downrigger (12 lbs weight) down to 120 ft to pass right on top. Trolled a Big Al's inline flasher with a crippled anchovy (brined blue). Also set out a deep six diver to go shallow (let out 120 ft of line) which I assume was diving at maximum 60 ft with a Big Al's inline flasher and an FBR with anchovy (brined blue). Troll speed was between 2.0 and 2.5mph on the sonar but not sure how accurate that was (I checked the action of the lures and bait and they seemed to be at a good pace/ speed). Trolled for 1 hr without a hook up and saw other boats with nets flying. Switched it to a watermelon flasher and crippled anchovy, watermelon apex, black apex, changed the downrigger depth to 50 ft, nothing seemed to work for us. Trolled for 5 hrs without a single hit.

Anything you all would do differently? I'm really confused as to what we did wrong.

Thanks for the help!

2. TunaTran

TunaTran Newbie

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Striper
    Try depth at 25-30'....

3. davedave

davedave Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    26' ACB
    Frustrating! We've all been there.
    A couple of things to consider: If you have a 12 lb. downrigger weight at 120 ft., and the "blowback" has your line angled at roughly a 45 degree angle trailing behind you, you are missing your targeted depth as your bait/lure is now much higher in the water column than if it was hanging straight down.
    Your speed. Maybe it's just me, but I have found that increasing my speed to roughly 3 knots can make all the difference when I'm not getting any hits @ 2.5 or slower.
    Consider the distance your bait/lure is trailing behind your downrigger release.
    I typically drag my lures 25-35 feet behind the boat.
    We've been doing real well trolling Watermelon Apexes and hammered Gold spoons (straight. no flashers/dodgers).
    Hope this helps!
    Edit: Also, I use 20 lb. downrigger weights. Helps keep the lures at targeted depth.

Bigeasy, esgeo and hanahou7 like this.
  4. hanahou7

hanahou7 Newbie

Name:
    Terence
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Hunter

Thank you! This is very helpful. Yes, I did notice that it had about a 45 degree angle.

That's an interesting note on speed. For salmon do they tend to prefer a quicker troll speed? Just wondering if it would be best to start as slow as possible (1 - 1.5) and then increase as needed, or start quick then adjust lower/ faster?

That is a good note about distance behind the boat. I was running them about 20 ft since i figured it was deep enough it wouldn't make a difference but i'll try and run it a bit further next time.

Thank you again!

5. Artfish

Artfish Newbie

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Scout
    Try a gold or silver crippled anchovy with a red hotspot flasher, or a white kajiki at 25ft to 45ft.

hanahou7 likes this.
  6. davedave

davedave Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    26' ACB
    "That's an interesting note on speed. For salmon do they tend to prefer a quicker troll speed? Just wondering if it would be best to start as slow as possible (1 - 1.5) and then increase as needed, or start quick then adjust lower/ faster?"
    LOL! I think fish are like women! And what they prefer today is not necessarily what they will prefer tomorrow (or what the woman next to them will prefer.....today)!
    Which is why I have about Eight tackle boxes FULL of everything in every size and every color!
    Honestly, I just don't know. I'll troll at one speed for a while, and if I'm not getting any hits I'll try another speed/another lure. Sometimes I'll pull the throttles into neutral until the downrigger line is hanging straight down then put it back in gear again. Sometimes making a turn will trigger a bite.
    If I hear "radio fish" are being caught at a certain depth, I'll usually start by running at least one of my rigs at that same depth. But I'll keep changing things up if I'm not catching.
    Keep trying! You'll get them!

hanahou7 likes this.
  7. hanahou7

hanahou7 Newbie

Name:
    Terence
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Hunter

Hahaha definitely! Thanks again! Just gotta keep at it

8. Crash

Crash Member

Name:
    Robert Young
    Boat:
    20' Skippy
    the fish have been on top 15-35', stay away from jellyfish, any speed under 4 mph works... stick at it you will catch fish

brokeass boater and hanahou7 like this.
  9. jigsaurus

jigsaurus Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Boat:
    12' plastic cod killer
    you always gotta be changing up to find what they want. also try to make a couple friends out there so you can share info. good luck to you buddy!!

hanahou7 likes this.
  10. jgy

jgy Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Looking for a World Cat 320EC (hit me up if you have one for sale)
    I troll between 2.5mph -3.5mph depending on current and wind. I vary the depth on all lines until one produces more than others. I also put attractant on my lures and flashers. Seems to work for us. Also, if the fish are shallow, I like to use dipsy divers since they're more user friendly than downriggers. If you hear of radio fish, ask what they're using and what depth. We all usually help each other out.

Shawn/onemoredrift and hanahou7 like this.
  11. hanahou7

hanahou7 Newbie

Name:
    Terence
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Hunter

That's awesome! And thanks for the advice on the dipsy diver...i ran a luhr jehnsen one yesterday and i haven't caught anything on it so wasn't sure if they work or not. Nice to hear someone else runs them as well.

What channel do you guys usually use? We have a radio but only ever keep it on the NOAA channel since I don't know which channel is OK for us to be on. I'd be happy to jump on and contribute (though yesterday I would have just been reporting how crappy i was doing haha).

12. jgy

jgy Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Looking for a World Cat 320EC (hit me up if you have one for sale)
    In HMB and out the Gate, channel 19. If in the SF bay, 68.

hanahou7 likes this.
  13. hanahou7

hanahou7 Newbie

Name:
    Terence
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Hunter
    Awesome! Thank you!

14. Shawn/onemoredrift

Shawn/onemoredrift Newbie

Name:
    Shawn/onemoredrift
    Boat:
    Big bite
    Try glow cripple anchovie 15-40ft deep on the wire 2.5-3.0 mph also gold and silver spoon lost a couple slugs at the boat. Good luck I will be there this weekend try channel 19 on radio call for the big bite Shawn

721A4253-7E67-435B-9DD6-771021A7753E.png

psd58, El Gato Diablo and hanahou7 like this.
  15. hanahou7

hanahou7 Newbie

Name:
    Terence
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Hunter
    Awesome! Thank you for the tip. Those are some beautiful fish btw.

Sounds good, we plan on being there Saturday so I’ll give you a holler.

Thanks!
    Terence

16. El Gato Diablo

El Gato Diablo Newbie

Name:
    Damon
    Boat:
    25' Sea Ox Blue Water Pro 'Infinity'
    What are you leader lengths behind the flasher? Also we find it helps to keep our hands very clean when baiting rigs, especially if you've been smoking. Brined and blued baits overnight, but I think you said you do that. I've been getting limits off a pro-troll UV flasher with agitator fin, and UV or glow crippled anchovies. As others have said, change it up...even your speed and depths. Also I've found it most successful to troll in a general east/west direction in Monterey Bay. Spoons like the Gold Tom Mack will get that anger bite out of them when they're not hitting bait or just not hungry...that's all I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned. Good luck on Saturday...oh, also hit up channel 11 in Monterey Bay for info. salmon record.jpg

17. hanahou7

hanahou7 Newbie

Name:
    Terence
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Hunter

I have the leaders at least 24" behind the flashers. Is that too close? I don't smoke and definitely try to keep my hands as clean as possible. I'll definitely try and mixing up the speeds and depths and pick up some spoons. I haven't tried running those but it sounds like guys have pretty good success with them.

Thank you for the help! My dad and I actually do most of our rockfishing/ halibut out of Santa Cruz so I'll definitely hit up channel 11 when we're down there. Thanks again!

El Gato Diablo likes this.
  18. El Gato Diablo

El Gato Diablo Newbie

Name:
    Damon
    Boat:
    25' Sea Ox Blue Water Pro 'Infinity'
    24" is good...

hanahou7 likes this.
  19. desmonic

desmonic Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Hopefully One Day
    I went out with party boat twice this weekend and we limited (25 guys) both times in less than 3 hours. We also fished half moon bay area. 80% fish was caught at 25-35ft depth. We fished with anchovies and smaller flashers. Guys with spoons did not have much luck.

hanahou7 likes this.
  20. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    Anybody up there mooching or is it just trolling?