Help a Brother Catch a Grouper

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
I've always wanted to get a swipe at landing one of theses beasts. How would I gear up on my upcoming trip? I'm assuming putting a dropper loop on my large rig (80-pound), torpedo weight (how heavy? condition-dependent?) and pinning a mackeral to a big J-hook. How big? Help a brother out here?

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
With a dropper loop, hook size will depend on the bait size, as well as the sinker size with the current. Someone shout have a big hook. Ask the crew. Personally I carry 8/0 and up. (Actually have 4/0 and up but big J hooks 8/0 to 12/0). And have sinkers to 16 oz.

Lake

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
I've always wanted to get a swipe at landing one of theses beasts. How would I gear up on my upcoming trip? I'm assuming putting a dropper loop on my large rig (80-pound), torpedo weight (how heavy? condition-dependent?) and pinning a mackeral to a big J-hook. How big? Help a brother out here?
Agree with the others, especially the flylining a skippie. You also need to go on the right trip. The Ridge will usually give you a shot. I've also caught them dropper looping at Alijos. Don't take more than you need.

Reactions: Fish Asassin

NoLDR

OG BD member
Mar 26, 2003
Sherman Oaks
Name
BRAD
Boat
29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
Live skippy all the way. Hardest part I find is getting the hook out of the skippy and into the grouper reeled in plenty of skippies that looked like they were run thru a pasta maker.

ifish42na

No Bad Days
Oct 23, 2004
Harrington Park, NJ
www.bhptackle.com
Name
Basil
Boat
Friends With Boats
Get on the right spot, Captain Justin put us on a spot one time coming up the line on a long trip. He told me to use my heaviest gear, 200lb test and make a double hook rig with big J-hooks. I caught a skipjack, a crew member clipped the tail and we put a 10/0 behind the head and in the tail. Dropped that big bait to the bottom and got smacked immediately, pinned to the rail! Another time he stopped on a shallower spot and I grabbed a boat rod with 40lb test, went 8 for 8 on cut bait while everyone who was fishing 80lb could not get a bite. This was always on the way back from a long trip for just a few hours but those 8-10 day trips might get you a better shot to spend some time trying for these groupers. A fun way to fish and an exciting hookup.

Reactions: Squid Sammich

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
Seen way too many people have their clocks cleaned on 80lb. If you really want one, use 130lb or larger on a big reel (like a 30 or 50). They seem to bite the best when you are anchored on a high spot (90 to 130' deep) and everyone else is catching skipjack and small yellowtail. (They must be interested in all the commotion going on in the chum).

When the small stuff invades, grab your 130 lb with a leader to match with a 12/0 or bigger and wait until someone catches a skipjack. The deck hand will pin it on the hook, clip the tail with his dykes and send it over the side. The skippy will zoom straight down and when you get bit, put the rod on the rail and turn the handle. If that fish gets it head pointed in the direction of the rocks, you lose! It is a very short, powerful strike and the ones that can get their heads turned are the ones with a grouper in the fish hold. The time window to catch them is very short as generally the boat will pull the anchor and move to get away from the "trash fish"
Good luck!

Reactions: ZZZZZ

carcass

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 25, 2009
Cedar City Utah
Name
scott
Boat
None
I tried for grouper and got three black sea basses. One on a sardine, one on a squid, and the third on a Salas 6x.

Still waiting for my first grouper.

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
Get the biggest bait you can find and put it on heavy line with a big hook. Otherwise you’ll reel up a lot of small stuff to get what you want

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
All mine the last few trips have been on the yo-yo. regular 6x, full speed wind. They will also take a mak on the flyline.

Reactions: Bill W

Outhouse

Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
I’ve caught my share of grouper over the years. When choosing a weight, get one large enough to get to the bottom without a lot of bend in your line.

Also, when dropping down, feel the weight constantly bumping the bottom. If you can’t feel the bottom, either let out more or pick up excess line. The critical moment is when the fish inhales the bait. You must put the wood to him fast. After several cranks, you are probably good, just keep steady pressure.

Eagle123

Jan 28, 2014
Name
Claude LaBonte
Boat
Indy
I caught this one on a 2oz sliding sinker on a sardine at the 23 fathom spot in 2007 (caught 2 that day)
grooper.jpg

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
My best came on a dropper loop rig, 80 lb mono on a high spot headed up from the Potato Bank on a November 8 day. Pinned on a Sardine, can’t remember hook. It tried to pull some line of my 6/0 (and I thought I was fishing a tight drag) but I palmed the spool and stopped him. Less than halfway up and his bladder inflated and he floated to the surface. 51 lb Broomtail. Dumb luck... ;)

Reactions: Eagle123 and Bill W