HELP 1989 Johnson 40 HP VRO

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by USMCfish, Jan 8, 2015.

1. USMCfish

USMCfish USMC-FISH

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Tuna Can
    Gents, I have a very good condition 89 Johnson 40 hp VRO, runs great, I am having some tilt trim issues, first off it works perfect on the trailer at home up and down, well I have taken boat out 2x in last 2 weeks, first day I ran boat and fished mission bay when I put boat on trailer trim would not go up, I had to wait about 30 minutes and then it went up, yesterday I fished SD bay flawless day until leaving trim would not go up, I ended up waiting in parking lot for over 1 hr for it to finally rise. Any input or any mechanics that would like to take a look please send me a pm or please post ideas for me, I also want to change impeller it works great but the guy I purchased boat from said it has not been changed in 7 years.

Thanks for all your help!!

2. osidefishin

osidefishin big daddy

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    18' Klamath cc " Second chance "
    maybe a bad ground or a short?does it make any noise when its trying to go up or down or nothing at all?

3. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    Weird that the problem only happens after use. Is it on a charger when it works well in the driveway and the battery run down a little after fishing? Ever had a problem with the cranking speed of the engine when the tilt is acting up?

As oside says start by checking wiring connections. If you have a voltmeter check/note the voltage at the battery. Keep working your way up the system with the positive lead and keep the ground on the battery ground. Go to the key switch if you have one and check the voltage going in and coming out. Next step would be in the engine wiring harness - you will need to figure out which wires are for the tilt.

Absolutely change the water pump and the lower unit oil while your at it. Pull off the prop to check for line and grease the shaft.

4. boatless indago

boatless indago Boatless in Dago

Name:
    lj
    Boat:
    nomo boat
    say maybe ya change out ALL the connectors on any and ALL wires connecting power to and from your tilt mechanisms. If not change at LEAST sand them to a shiny tint and re-tighten nuts etc to them.possibly spray a protective coating over them....of course this is AFTER ya got full control of up and down going on!! Also having some serious thoughts as to the life left in battery/batteries........that waiting time to work sounds like low batts coming slowly back up after use. Is your alternator NOT charging as you travel???

5. USMCfish

USMCfish USMC-FISH

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Tuna Can
    Thanks for the replies, The battery is new and the fishfinder does show battery constantly staying around 12.4v, it does make a clicking sound I believe which are the relays, when its not going up there is no sound from the trim motor just the clicks from the buttons(relays), I also thought it could of been a low battery and did plug in jump box to give it extra boost and nothing. Also the cranking speed of the engine is just literally like 1 second it fires instantly. Its so mind boggling.

6. osidefishin

osidefishin big daddy

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    18' Klamath cc " Second chance "
    did you check the ground?

7. USMCfish

USMCfish USMC-FISH

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Tuna Can
    I did it all shows good connections, could is possibly be a bad relay? but they both click not sure if that means anything or not...

8. J Woodman

J Woodman I know nothing

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    15' Gregor Baja Special "Silver Bullet II"
    Are the relays back by the motor. It sounds like maybe they are getting wet during use and grounding out when you first try to tilt the motor. After they have dried out a little they begin to work again.

9. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    After checking to make sure the relays are not getting wet I would take your jump starter and find the leads that go from the relay to the pump. A lot of trim systems setups use the relay(s) to reverse the polarity on the two leads that go from the relays to the pump. Apply 12 volts and ground to those leads and the trim should go one direction - reverse them and it should go the other. If it does that then the problem is in the wiring/switch/relays somewhere. Testing the pump/hydraulics as described above will eliminate the pump as the problem.

The catch is since your problem is intermittent you have to do the testing when it is failing. Sounds like you problem is somewhat reproducible which is good. Sometimes it is a PITA to troubleshoot intermittent problems.

10. Fishbones

Fishbones Your wife thinks about ME

Name:
    Rich
    Boat:
    One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
    There should be a release screw on the pump body so you can manualy raise the engine, so you don't have to wait an hour to go home.

11. baaadlybent

baaadlybent Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    26' Striper "Baaadly Bent", 21' Bayrunner Baja "Vamonos", 15' Gregor "Little Vamonos"
    I have a 2000 Johnson 115. My trim started doing the same thing. There is a tilt limiter mounted to the tilt tube basically under the powerhead and in front. It was corroded. This happened in Baja so I could not get the part. So I cut out the limiter and connected the wires to bypass it. Only problem is if you don't watch the outboard when you tilt up you could tilt too far and hit the transom.

12. baaadlybent

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    26' Striper "Baaadly Bent", 21' Bayrunner Baja "Vamonos", 15' Gregor "Little Vamonos"
    And you can troubleshoot the trim mechanisms to be certain the trim motors work by removing the relays and shorting them with a wire. May want a friend who knows how relays operate to do that one to be sure you hit the correct leads.

13. baaadlybent

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    I seem to remember the limiter has two wires going to it. You can disconnected them and short them together, then try the trim. If it works that is your problem. Easy fix. The part costs about $30.

14. 2 Stroke

2 Stroke Newbie

Name:
    John Alfonso
    Boat:
    Trophy 2002WA
    Bringing up an old post. You can take the relay for the pump off and stick it in the freezer for a an hour or so then try it again. If that works flawless afterwards buy a new relay. Also if you still need the impeller changed I will do it for free just buy the parts.

15. irob2

irob2 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    robert
    Boat:
    REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
    Trim relay

Bottom Line likes this.