Height of rail in inches??

Dexter Outdoors

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    With all the stuff I have learned from here on rail fishing, and with a directed search just completed, I realized, I do not know how high, in inches, most of the rails are. Does anyone happen to know the height of any of the fine boat's rails, especially in the stern corners. It is between my upper thigh and belly button, but cannot remember exactly where.

Just got my new rods from Timmy/ Plan to fashion a rail somewhere at home to play with them with weights.

Thanks

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    It varries a lot, and varries not just by the boat but also by the position on the boat. Also rail width is a factor as you can use both the inside and outside portion of the rail as a fulcrum at different points in the fight.

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
    Sep 9, 2010
    SouthBay SF
    Name
    The Kid
    Boat
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Just got my new rods from Timmy/ Plan to fashion a rail somewhere at home to play with them with weights.

Make sure you have a place to stand that is higher then the ground as your rod tip will be below your feet using the outside edge of the rail. Make sense?

I tried using Jamie's fake rail at Bob Sands. It works, but a platform a few feet higher to stand on would be a more accurate simulation.

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    I can imagine it would affect the "sit on the rod butt technique". For us under the arm guys that use the outside rail edge it does not matter cause the angle is always shifting how close or how far you stand and where on the fore grip the rod lays.

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
    Sep 9, 2010
    SouthBay SF
    Name
    The Kid
    Boat
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Under arm, outside rail with a 7' - 8' rod and simulating up and down the rod tip will be below your feet.

Upvote 0

dh515

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 18, 2004
    So Cal
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
    With all the stuff I have learned from here on rail fishing, and with a directed search just completed, I realized, I do not know how high, in inches, most of the rails are. Does anyone happen to know the height of any of the fine boat's rails, especially in the stern corners. It is between my upper thigh and belly button, but cannot remember exactly where.

Thanks

Intrepid: Stern corners approximately 36” from deck to top of rail.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    I believe the minimum rail height would be 42”. Years ago we had to add a cap rail minimum to get certified by USCG.

Thanks for the idea to check with the Coast Guard. Of course this is not what the actual measurements are, but might serve as roxy as minimum

"Title 46Chapter I › Subchapter K › Part 116 › Subpart I › Section 116.900
    (d) The height of top rails required by paragraph (a) of this section must be as follows:

(1) Rails on passenger decks of a ferry or a vessel engaged in excursion trips, including but not limited to sightseeing trips, dinner and party cruises, and overnight cruises, must be at least 1,000 millimeters (39.5 inches) high.

(2) Rails on a vessel subject to the 1966 International Convention on Load Lines must be at least 1,000 millimeters (39.5 inches) high.

(3) All other rails must be at least 910 millimeters (36 inches) high."

So most are likely just over a meter high.
    Need to make my fake one about a meter high from a platform, that makes outside higher than the inside (To practice outside edge technique.)

Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0

Squid Sammich

Aug 23, 2015
    Texas
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    To be determined
    Speaking of measurements for practice purposes, what about the weight of a medium sized sardine?

I have heard a wooden clothespin is a comparable weight. Not sure if that is the spring type or the old school type but either one would not match the drag characteristics of a sardine imo.

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Speaking of measurements for practice purposes, what about the weight of a medium sized sardine?
    I have been using a tennis ball, into which I placed one of the expensive hooks I deformed in my break-it machine. The Tennis ball weighs just over 2oz. (Of course, it weighs a bit more when wet - which I allow to make me feel better about my casting.)

A sardine just between 6 and 7 inches in length, in 1927, weighed about two ounces:
    caljsiol_sio1ca175_012_009.gif

Isn't that fun??

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    You need to get your butt on a boat that might be rocking and you might be getting bumped from other anglers around you to learn to cast!Tom
    Actually, been casting since before I caught my first yellowtail 55+ years ago. Practice now because new gear is different, and staying sort of semi capable requires refresher practice.

You are so correct, doing it for real is much more challenging. What I am doing is what I coached for so long: practice with as close to perfect technique as you can, so when, in the heat of the real deal you fall off perfect, it still works. Yes, I sure do need to get on a boat. Been there, many times, love it.

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    An old plastic swim bait (no leadhead) and use a normal hook and hook the swimbait just slightly under the skin so that if you cast too hard it rips out just like a real bait. Then get up on something tall and practice pitching (and kicking the spool forward mid cast). You can get a sardine surprisingly far with this technique done correctly, then once you feel you have it down watch a good skipper do it and blow your mind....

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Pin a 5" swim bait. Close to a dine.

Buuuuut so many variables go into that equation that it becomes instinct and ocean wobble.

I was so nervous on my first real cow trip. I thought I would be pulled overboard. Not the case choate and a few others made me feel comfortable. Roy said it best, "its like fishing albacore but everything is bigger. Okay lets do this.

Watch a few of the bad asses on your trip. There are a few. Then blend that 100+ years of experience together for yourself.

Just remember look at the bow height and stern. Then compensate as its constantly changing. It will come natural. Over think enticing a bite with sano rigging. Not a mathematical formula that does not work with all the conditions

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    Maybe just or more important to casting a bait is learning how to pick and handle the bait while trying to get it on the hook and into the water!Tom
    I completely agree, I had a Captain tell me 30 years ago, most of you're fish will be caught at the bait tank. I'm a huge believer in bait selection and presentation.

Upvote 0

rodblder

Feb 19, 2004
    San Diego
    Visit site
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    none at this time
    Having fished both the Intrepid and Excel for over 10 yrs, the Intrepid is higher than the Excel due to modern safety requirements not in effect when the Big X was built....

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Equivalent to 3 medium to small anchovies.
    Maybe Sardine is closer to 5 to 6 medium anchovies:

Anchovy biological data presented here are collected from commercial landings at two coastal ports in Washington: Ilwaco and Westport. During the 2014 season, a total of 10 samples were taken resulting in 990 anchovies sampled. Average length in 2014 was 106 mm with an average weight of 11g. Of these samples, 108 were aged: 80 were 1 year olds, 5 were 2 year olds, 21were 3 year olds, and 2 were 5 year olds.

Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    Maybe Sardine is closer to 5 to 6 medium anchovies:

Anchovy biological data presented here are collected from commercial landings at two coastal ports in Washington: Ilwaco and Westport. During the 2014 season, a total of 10 samples were taken resulting in 990 anchovies sampled. Average length in 2014 was 106 mm with an average weight of 11g. Of these samples, 108 were aged: 80 were 1 year olds, 5 were 2 year olds, 21were 3 year olds, and 2 were 5 year olds.
    You've done you're homework, I was just kinda joking around. Back many years ago, before sardines were around, when all bait was anchovy, we used to get anchovies the size of todays medium sardines. Haven't seen those for quite some time.

Upvote 0