Ghecs13

Oct 21, 2020
Santa Ana CA
Name
Hector Guerrero
Boat
Yes
683ABA8E-3A69-4B7D-90AE-BB39677ED836.jpeg

I got these 400g jigs from mustad and I’m going for rockfish tomorrow, thesejigs are pretty big so I’m not sure if they’d be too big. I’m going heavy cause of the new regulationsI wanna get down deep faster. What do you guys think? TIA

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
View attachment 1261004
I got these 400g jigs from mustad and I’m going for rockfish tomorrow, thesejigs are pretty big so I’m not sure if they’d be too big. I’m going heavy cause of the new regulationsI wanna get down deep faster. What do you guys think? TIA
just put both hooks on top,
and cast it down swell, it wouldn't hurt to try it .

Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    I fished 03/02/21 out of LB in some deeper zones and got no RF bites on a couple of heavier flat fall type jigs. I even tipped them with squid. To be fair, I was using those on spots with a very slow bite.

The best way to find out is to bring them and give em a try. If nothing else it will give you an opportunity to switch up techniques.

Post a report and let us know the outcome.

Reactions: Ghecs13
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Those beautiful knife jigs are something that you will be glad that you have in your tackle box. They are especially useful for yellowtail and tuna in a speed-jigging application (see utube) more than rockfish, but of course anything can happen down deep. Have fun. If you try them in a swimming pool you can see how they flutter, and you will like it.

Reactions: Ghecs13
    Upvote 0

Vaerion

Jun 13, 2019
    CA
    Name
    Rgoh
    Boat
    Na
    Bring some lighter ones too. We had pretty good weather on Fri and did go up to 500ft. Managed to get down with 220g arc (semilong) and 250g feed fall (wide) jigs. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Ghecs13

Oct 21, 2020
    Santa Ana CA
    Name
    Hector Guerrero
    Boat
    Yes
    I've certainly caught rockfish on jigs similar to those. But if fishing real deep I'd probably just go with a two hook dropper loop with a heavier than needed sinker to get down fast. The early worm catches the early bird.
    Yea I’m gonna start out with bits of squid and once I’ve got a few tacos in the bag that’s when I’ll move to the jigs

Upvote 0

Ghecs13

Oct 21, 2020
    Santa Ana CA
    Name
    Hector Guerrero
    Boat
    Yes
    Sorry for the late report I’ve been pretty busy at work. But Monday was a success, I started off with bits of squid on a double dropper with feathered hooks I think I had 8 rockfish before 10 am that’s when I moved to the jigs but like mentioned above I was able to just use the 200g we didn’t go deeper than 475 ft. And I also caught one on my home painted jri. After I hit my limit I kept fishing and filling others bags all in all great trip rock fishing Catalina and I have yet to try the 400g jigs.
    Side note: the Pursuit out of 22nd street is a great boat I was a little worried as I had read about them on BD but to my surprise all the deckhands were very helpful and proactive and captain Gus was Badass and had some funny shit to say great boat and staff

851AEBE6-C5A6-42CF-B21E-D664CA338BD5.jpeg

688785F9-0A79-43DD-BD8E-206941AA5FCA.jpeg

Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat
    skiff
    View attachment 1261004
    I've caught big boccacio on the Williamson Abyss. It looks to be about the same size.

Upvote 0