RWP

Almost A Member
Mar 31, 2021
VB
Name
Ryan
Boat
Kayak
Yeah. Kevin is a great guy, but their website and phone service is rough.

It took about 20 minutes to make sure they had guides in stock and place the order and like 4 days later I got an email saying they were out of stock.

I gave up.

Upvote 0

Nirvana

But I don't want to edit this section
Aug 20, 2010
Sequim, WA USA
Name
Grant Darby
Boat
Which one?
My guess is it's just " regular" no flock......sort of like "heavy duty X wrap". No X for scales to stick and feels better in the hand than X. Wish I could get in colors.

Upvote 0

RWP

Almost A Member
Mar 31, 2021
VB
Name
Ryan
Boat
Kayak
99% of the time with stuff like this, there's a far better 3M alternative available, usually for less money too.

Upvote 0

tgorman

Jul 22, 2010
Loma Dorada. Tijuana Mexico
grovescapital.com
Name
Todd Gorman
Boat
Robalo R180
Sniper Skin closeup.jpg

Take a look at Sniper Skins

They are a tough pvc type material. Was very surprised at how well it held up on the rail, wasnt planning this trip and just grabbed this rod I'd just built. .
2 giants and every one of us had it on the rail for quite a while on Memorial day.
a few scuffs of the print but it held up very well. I would not replace it for Cold Shrink or a Rail Dog as a rail rod. But it more than worked for this 2.5 days trip. I have it over 2 layers of cork tape and really like it. Feels really nice in your hands. they are sort of tacky and they started out as hockey stick grips and have added fishing, softball, golf etc. Some cool patterns.

So, if you want something tougher than x-wrap.. this is a very good alternative.
And they look and feel good while fishing. all the deckhands and the Capitan all commented on the rod and the build.
Charlie at the rail.jpg

close up of reel.jpg

Reactions: kbray001
Upvote 0

AWilliams

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat
none
View attachment 1289949
Take a look at Sniper Skins

They are a tough pvc type material. Was very surprised at how well it held up on the rail, wasnt planning this trip and just grabbed this rod I'd just built. .
2 giants and every one of us had it on the rail for quite a while on Memorial day.
a few scuffs of the print but it held up very well. I would not replace it for Cold Shrink or a Rail Dog as a rail rod. But it more than worked for this 2.5 days trip. I have it over 2 layers of cork tape and really like it. Feels really nice in your hands. they are sort of tacky and they started out as hockey stick grips and have added fishing, softball, golf etc. Some cool patterns.

So, if you want something tougher than x-wrap.. this is a very good alternative.
And they look and feel good while fishing. all the deckhands and the Capitan all commented on the rod and the build.
View attachment 1289950
View attachment 1289951
Checked them out...looks interesting. Too bad they only make it in 17" Makes it spendy and awkward for a 30" deckhand grip. Did you use hot water or heat gun?

Upvote 0

tgorman

Jul 22, 2010
Loma Dorada. Tijuana Mexico
grovescapital.com
Name
Todd Gorman
Boat
Robalo R180
Checked them out...looks interesting. Too bad they only make it in 17" Makes it spendy and awkward for a 30" deckhand grip. Did you use hot water or heat gun?
Hot water!
The first time I did it .. the colors twisted a bit and could not keep it as straight. All be it I am not great with the heat gun and only done 2-3 heat shrinks in my life. So, it was my first time and it was a minor fail.

I did it a second time (the green one) with the tea kettle.. and never again will I use a heat gun. It is super easy with a tea pot. Just pour it down the inside from the top and it comes out perfect. It shrinks evenly and is easier to keep straight.

I use reel seats on all builds. I hate clamps (just personal preference)
But it would be cool, if they made one 3' or 1M lengths.

Upvote 0