AWilliams

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat
none
So, what surface irons do you guys like to throw in choppier conditions? I have a few I use but most of them tend to surface with the combination of choppy seas and high bow of the party boats. The 7x comes to mind as one that stays down under less than stellar conditions. I like how the Tady 45 swims but no matter what I do, it just keeps surfacing. I'll throw the Tady Candybar112 instead of the 45. It stays down better. I also have a smaller profile yo ho ho 4oz jig that swims pretty well and stays down. The extra weight is nice too when throwing into the wind. What's your go to..

Reactions: jiggermyster
Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Also one tip to get the smaller jigs to swim without jumping out of the water for me is to give them a solid 5 count before reeling them in and hold the rod tip low as you can. I do both of those all the time but they especially help when it’s choppy.

Upvote 0

AWilliams

May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat
none
I am always hanging over the rail with my tip pointed at the water....:p I've also been bit on the 5 second sink..

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    I don't throw surface irons when it's choppy. Fish don't register the surface disturbance.

Would rather throw a sniper or stick bait.

Upvote 0

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
    May 18, 2020
    Rockport Texas
    Name
    Oliver
    Boat
    25' SaberCat
    I wire all my OCT's when using them. I REFUSE to let a kingfish or taylor steal one of my jgs. They do swim very well and probably look and feel yummy to a fish though....

Upvote 0

calicoi

Dec 27, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Wesley
    Boat
    None
    The 7x. When its shitty out you really have to pay attention to the current and how your jig is swimming. Try casting up current and wind faster with the current, or quarter away and barely turn the handle.
    Shit conditions are not the time to work out whether your lure swims or not.

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    If it's shitty out I will just throw something like a colt sniper and use it like a surface jig.

Upvote 0

GaffnLaff

Rum is Tackle
    Dec 3, 2003
    Bay Park
    Visit site
    Name
    Dave Cairncross
    Boat
    Currently looking for a new Ho'ing opportunity
    Deadhead 4 oz

Upvote 0