Offshore Heartbreak at "182" 8-27

queenfish

Nov 21, 2003
OB
Name
mark
Boat
19 Boston Whaler Nantucket
Son in law and I heard about the grest yft bite grtting started on the 9 mi bank, but only had a handful of mini macs in the tank and hears it was all about chumming them up.
Decided to go west and look for foamers or kelps.
Water finally cleaning up near the Ridge and vert warm 73° +.
Found a good kelp BIG meter marks 25 feet down.
My son in law decide to switch out his little 1 oz Colt Sniper on his 40lb jig stick over to a flat fall.
Short story......................5 hours later after seeing it on the surface a few times and getting it within 30 feet of the boat, I put out a radio call for a cell ph relay to the wife and daughter, that we were going to be late.

Thank you Ocean Arrow for the relay.

Aghh! Finally at around 7:45 with the beast just camped out 100 ft straigh down........the knot broke.
I don't mean the knot failed, we brought the knot back in. The line actuall going through the eye of the jig loop just wore out.
I could clearly see it was a tuna, just had to guess her size.
BIG.

Queenfish............out.

Upvote 0

mrkrabs

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 3, 2009
Santee/ca/usa
Name
Marty
Boat
Lard ass
:(:(:(:appl::cheers:

T3Wvb9sVbH1-cDcpO8NzsVmOdW3d8JOPJQjIokEMxvE.jpg

Upvote 0

thomasfishing

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 3, 2006
westminster
Name
Thomas
Boat
1851 seaswirl striper WA & 2601 Striper
We were heading to the 302 from huntington harbor and were between the 181 and 182 Monday. Saw volkwagen size bluefin crashing on top. Long story short, run and gun style and went 0 for 4. Longest fight was about 40 mins but did get the fish to the boat a few times to see how big and these were large 80lb jumbo bluefin. Needless to say we were heartbroken 4 times that day, but it was fun to go catch them all by yourselves.

Upvote 0

classic66

Jul 22, 2012
San Diego
Name
Russ Hall
Boat
Bull Run
Son in law and I heard about the grest yft bite grtting started on the 9 mi bank, but only had a handful of mini macs in the tank and hears it was all about chumming them up.
Decided to go west and look for foamers or kelps.
Water finally cleaning up near the Ridge and vert warm 73° +.
Found a good kelp BIG meter marks 25 feet down.
My son in law decide to switch out his little 1 oz Colt Sniper on his 40lb jig stick over to a flat fall.
Short story......................5 hours later after seeing it on the surface a few times and getting it within 30 feet of the boat, I put out a radio call for a cell ph relay to the wife and daughter, that we were going to be late.

Thank you Ocean Arrow for the relay.

Aghh! Finally at around 7:45 with the beast just camped out 100 ft straigh down........the knot broke.
I don't mean the knot failed, we brought the knot back in. The line actuall going through the eye of the jig loop just wore out.
I could clearly see it was a tuna, just had to guess her size.
BIG.

Queenfish............out.
Man, Mark that's tough but cool you had that experience with your kid. Do you remember about 15 years ago, we worked a pod of dolphin together? Glad to reconnect: Russ Hall / [email protected] / (619) 977-8700

Upvote 0

queenfish

Nov 21, 2003
OB
Name
mark
Boat
19 Boston Whaler Nantucket
Hi Russ. Hell yeah I remember that. Out by the 302.
I haven't had much luck on the porpoise the last couple of seasons
You still have your Shamrock, I know.in the last 25years I've gone from my 17 Whalerto an 18 Whaler and now a 19 Whaler. But the time I reach 70. I'll prolly have a 20

Reactions: rick rouland
Upvote 0

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
Man that’s rough. We hooked a 60 pounder on 20# fluoro Wednesday. Fought it for over an hour and it kept going through my head that there are three knots between me and sashimi. Somehow, they all held and we landed it.

Reactions: Josh_11
Upvote 0