Erawk

Get bent!
Dec 25, 2011
United States
Name
Eric
Boat
21' Sea Ray
Thanks for the report, and my condolences regarding the heartbreak. You'll get them next time. I'm not having any luck viewing the video either.

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
Am I the only one who cant view this video!?

I'm sure I probably am, since most vids that aren't on youtube seem unwatchable for me on this computer. :(

The unknown fisherman:p:

:hali_parkutuli::hali_parkutuli::_smack_::imdumb: No Mike your not alone... I can't see it either.... I was looking forward to hearing the fowl language, thought I might be able to learn something new.
:zelfmoord

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Thanks for the report, and it's ok that you didn't get one on board. One of the handful of fish fights that is absolutely seared into my memory is when after a half-hour of having fun with thirty to forty pound yellowfin all of a sudden something picked up my sardine and headed to Peru at fifty miles an hour. Sixty pound gear with drag shoved to max, rod bent like a clothespin, I'm holding onto the rod with a death grip and screaming at my friend to grab my belt to help keep me in the boat, and within thirty seconds I'm spooled and the line comes tight and POW! breaks. No idea whatsoever what fish did that. I went to the galley and sat and literally shook for twenty minutes.

What you went through is exactly why I fish blue water. I keep hoping for moments like you just had.

Upvote 0

OciferDave

Jun 20, 2006
    California
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    35 Cabo OC + 30 Grady Baja
    one of my crew posted a YouTube link to the video above ...... unfortunately the expletives as well as other heated you-had-to-be-there commentary was removed.

Upvote 0

Cole_cos20

Master Baiter
    Nov 19, 2014
    Dana Point to Point Loma
    Name
    Cole
    Boat
    21' Shamrock "Reel Happy"
    I was right there with you (next to you) on the 38 Betram and we hooked and lost one on a coltsniper. Didn't seem to want the bait....what were you guys using?

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    I sooooooooooooooo feel your pain.
    I think we must've been in the same general area.
    I'm haunted.

Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
    Mar 20, 2008
    Carmel, CA
    Name
    john
    Boat
    not crazy enough yet
    Thanks for the vid, better luck next time, boiling tuna say "thanks for playing! LOL"

Upvote 0

errock_22

It wont happen if you don’t go
    Apr 6, 2008
    Ventura / SB
    Name
    Eric B.
    Boat
    F/V El Tiburon - 25’ Custom Anderson
    Ok, so because of this thread, the damage to my wallet now stands at $1000 since it was posted. I love this shit!

Reactions: MAUINOKAOI
    Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Damn incredible .....cows in our back yard . It's all about the right gear & some luck.
    The spot in his video looked like it was fairly stationary which provided the opportunity to get bit 9 times.
    The foamers we saw were generally moving rapidly.
    It was incredibly challenging to get something to the fish in the very short window of time you might be in range on appropriate gear for that grade fish.

The circle out in front and get a bait back to them sounds great in theory and on the internet; but that's not how it played out in the water for us or the boats around us.

Getting something be it live or artificial into rapidly moving in ever changing directions schools on what would locally be considered trolling gear was damned near impossible. Long casts aren't in the playbook with that gear.
    Chumming didn't keep em near the boat to extend the time window to get bit.

Hooking up on normal for our waters bait and jig sticks was pointless.

Trolling didn't work

If I could afford it, I'd go buy high end spinning gear and go back out with it. More accurately I'd still be there looking for em, and paying people to re-supply me . :D

The reality probably is that my once in a lifetime shot at fish that grade in local waters is gone. They were gone by early afternoon and not found again. I've never seen that before in 20 odd years of offshore fishing and likely won't again; much less while I'm still of age and health to pull with em for awhile......

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
    Feb 18, 2007
    O'side
    Name
    Simon
    Boat
    Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
    The spot in his video looked like it was fairly stationary which provided the opportunity to get bit 9 times.
    It was incredibly challenging to get something to the fish in the very short window of time you might be in range on appropriate gear for that grade fish.

The circle out in front and get a bait back to them sounds great in theory and on the internet; but that's not how it played out in the water for us or the boats around us.

Getting something be it live or artificial into rapidly moving in ever changing directions schools on what would locally be considered trolling gear was damned near impossible. Long casts aren't in the playbook with that gear.

Trolling didn't work

If I could afford it, I'd go buy high end spinning gear and go back out with it. More accurately I'd still be there looking for em, and paying people to re-supply me . :D

:D

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC

Trolling didn't work

The reality probably is that my once in a lifetime shot at fish that grade in local waters is gone. They were gone by early afternoon and not found again. I've never seen that before in 20 odd years of offshore fishing and likely won't again; much less while I'm still of age and health to pull with em for awhile......

STOP with all of that dude........ you just about sent me into depression with that!! :D

I'm still landlocked, but hoping to somehow get out soon (if I'm really lucky!!). You on the other hand still probably have some solid shots at this. This crazy backyard monster fishing started over two weeks ago, and they are still around in force. They could pack up tomorrow or hang around for a spell. I'm thinking there will still be some good chances at these fish for some weeks to come.

What I am totally amazed at, is how many guys are losing the battle with these fish! I don't mean any of this in a bad way at all, as I have seen many here who seem (although I don't really know for sure) like they should be pretty solid fisherman. So when it seems 90% or better of these fish keep getting lost, it makes a bunch of guys wonder why so many? Are they really that tough? Yeah I guess so, but could there maybe be some mistakes being made as well....... shit I dunno, but I'm thinking maybe??

I get that alot are said to be getting chewed off, but damn man, it still seems like there would be a few more landed than there currently are........ ya know, just a few more!

For now, I am living vicariously through a bunch of the posts here on BD. I want some of you guys to land these pigs!!! Once that slug turns it's head and starts coming your way for just a split second, start short stroking that B%#ch and keep it's head pointed at you........ this is your chance to bust it's will!!! Do everything you can to not let that head get turned back downward! Break that fishes spirit with inch by inch short little pumps!!

look up some vids of David Choate, and watch how he uses the rail, and how he grinds everytime the rod tip just barely lifts back up.........If possible, he doesn't give that fish a chance in hell to turn it's head and head back down. I've watched plenty of big guys on my boat over the years, fold real quick and get beat down due to not knowing how to use leverage, or rest their arms when needed. It's just little basic things that can produce huge results.

I know there are some here on BD who have landed these big BFT. And some of these guys have done this on moderate gear and even single speeds I think? Tim "Rubberhook" comes to mind, as well as that Evan guy who recently landed a toad on what looked like an old school Penn, or maybe a Baja Special, but later said to maybe be a Newell??

It would be interesting to hear a little more about the technique used, the length of fight, the gear, Spectra test, main line test, and leaders from some of these guys who have gotten this done.

I kinda believe, that like many have already said....... It's going to take a combination of a little luck and a whole lot of angler skill and a very aware and savy boat driver as well to up the chances of landing these fish.

To the guys here on BD who have already gotten this done....... hats off to you all!!! I and a bunch of others are highly envious!!!

I really hope to see more of these landed, and hopefully one over 200lbs before it's all over!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited:
    Reactions: StoneAle
    Upvote 0

OciferDave

Jun 20, 2006
    California
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    35 Cabo OC + 30 Grady Baja
    I did not realize how much these fish are on everyone's mind when I posted this. They certainly have been on mine ..... Since they came I went out four times in the past three weeks to look for them and going out to do it again Wednesday.

I did not experience anything like that on the first three trips except getting short bit on jigs twice. This time we certainly got the chance of a lifetime but I can't say that we blew it. In hindsight I would have done a couple of things differently but hindsight does not mean anything.
    It's just something people made up to explain to themselves lost opportunity.

We should have just used straight 80 spectra and a small megabait as well as immediately putting the boat in reverse the pull the fish away from the other fish and boats. Full throttle in reverse with a tight drag to horse the fish away to a zone where we would have a chance.

I did not have rookies on board, we were using 50 and 60 flouro and it was all over before we knew it. Half the time the line was not even tight. The fish kept eating. And I believe the fish were lost due to other fish slamming into the line and ripping the line.

People ask me why I am so obsessed over Bluewater fishing and days like this remind me of why that is so. I feel very lucky to have experienced a day like that. But then again what is luck?
    Just an intersection somewhere in space between the line of hard work and the line of opportunity. And if that indeed is the case I am hoping for more luck.

Upvote 0

eric harner

Caliente Tuna
    Oct 7, 2009
    Phoenix Hellazona
    Name
    Azlandlocked
    Boat
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    :-):-):-)

Trolling didn't work

Give them hell Carl the memories will last forever catching one of those big dogs is a bonus.:-)

Upvote 0

forktail

Fishaholic
    Jul 18, 2003
    San Diego
    Visit site
    Name
    Dennis
    Boat
    none
    watched the video and heard the bit about them being so close to free gaff one of those pigs. Sort of wish someone in the skiff would had tried, it would had been funny as hell!

Upvote 0