Health Related PSA for My Fellow LR'ers

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Abaco, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Anglewood

Anglewood Up to no good...

Name:
    Connor
    Boat:
    Intrepid, New Del Mar
    I do the same thing, and have also been picking up more of the long sleeve fishing shirts. One time to also get lathered up is before you even board the boat. On one of my trips this year, the boat was delayed, and by the time we were able to board, I was already a little pink.

-Connor

2. michelle

michelle - Admin

Name:
    michelle
    Boat:
    submarine
  3. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    I use sunscreen religously on board, and not only does my face look the same when I return, but I swear that my skin is actually softer after a long trip! Yeah, I know it sounds like some sort of beauty commercial, but the lotion really does seem to moisturize my face.

4. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    Yep. Often I'll even put on a light coat the day we return because I'll be spending a couple of hours pushing and sorting fish, taking stuff to the car, etc. And always wear a hat, esp if you no longer have a full head of hair for protection.

5. The Great PF

The Great PF Member

Name:
    Roy Todd
    Boat:
    None
    Amen to reminding everyone about the effects of the sun. Sorry for the oversized photo, but you can see how I take care of my skin now that I've had several bouts of skin cancer. I've had to sit in that chair more times than I can count. FWIW, the face mask I use is called Breathe Like A Fish. Very comfortable, and a lot easier to breathe through than the others I've tried. I slather my feet in sunscreen, too.

And, in case you were wondering, we caught LOTS of snappers like this one, and we had to throw them all back since the season is currently closed. Politicians in Washington think they know more about Gulf of Mexico red snapper than the people who cannot get their baits past these voracious feeders because there are so many of them.

PF
    upload_2015-9-3_13-57-33.jpeg

6. Wandering Blues

Wandering Blues I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    Follow up to my earlier post.... I went to the dermatologist yesterday for a rash on my hand. Asked her to look at some spots on my head and face. 14 pre-cancer lesions removed and a biopsy later and I'm not feeling to good. And, yup, the wife chewed my butt before she brought me brekkies in bed today.

7. Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral Holi-e-Mackeral

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris - sold the boat
  8. Raimond

Raimond Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
    Where your shirt next time to see if she finds a growth she wants to handle...

We all were over exposed as kids. There were no videogames, cable TV, internet to keep us indoors. If our parents would have known, would we have listened? Nope...

9. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    After removal of 2 from my nose, the doctor has me using ZINC OXIDE now.

10. raw66

raw66 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Gary M
    Boat:
    A nice one
    Just read an article about six reasons growing and having a beard is a good idea. #1 on the list was works great as a sunblock for your face. I got 3-4 spots I need to have the doc give me a referral to the dermatologist to have removed. Chances are he's going to say they view that as cosmetic and wont cover it but have an appointment to discuss it anyway. VA healthcare at its finest. After reading this thread, went in Friday to get an appointment with primary doc. Earliest is Oct 20 and that's just to have a talk. Might need to fund this without banking on my marvelous health coverage to step up, anyone know what they charge to zap off a few spots? Shouldn't have read this dam thread, I don't want to be bumping heads with the doc when I go in Oct. When I inquired a couple years back about a single spot, he said that's not the type of spot you need to worry about, so i'm afraid he will give me the same malarky this time around and I leave the place wanting to use him as chunk bait because he declines my referral.

11. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Hey guys, I just stumbled across this while searching for fishing face buffs/sun protection masks.

The company Salt Armour (now known as SA) has a TON of very cool face protection masks..... I'm talking tons of different designs...... some weird and others plain & simple.

Here is the good part! TODAY, LABOR DAY, they are giving 50% off on their face masks!! Click on the link below to look at all the different masks, then click on DAILY DEALS for the promo code to get 50% off!!

Order one or two up and be safe!

The unknown fisherman:p:

http://www.sateam.company/shop?category=Face Shields

12. MikeeDaGuy

MikeeDaGuy Fishin FIN-Attict

Name:
    Mikee
    Boat:
    12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
    Skin cancer aint no joke, DerfsonDeck had quite the surgery a couple years back removing some shit off his lip that looked essentially like a little hole in his lower lip that would not heal. There was quite a chunk of flesh removed. Crazy how far skin stretches and they sew it up.
    Cancer is cancer and its fugly. If there are precautions that can be taken its only in our as anglers and ppl in the sun to take heed and use them.
    Though it not be from the sun I would not wish the shit my wife and I just went through and are going through on my worst enemy.

Great Post Dave, Glad they got it!!

13. afraser

afraser I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    NA
    I have fortunately not had any issues, but I also echo the need to watch your sun exposure. I practice sun avoidance as much as possible on the boat. When I sit down in the sun, I've got a hat, an upturned collar on a sunproof shirt, and I try to keep my arms and legs in the shade of my own body. This way you can still be outside and out of the sun. If I get up for the gray light bite, I put on sunblock. Perfect time and I'm not surprised by the sun if there is a good bite and I forget to put on sunblock later.

14. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    I appreciate the mentions of different face masks and related gear here. I don't want to fish like a bandit but looks like I should consider it.

Should hear today or tomorrow if the margins were clear. Meanwhile, I'm in a huge ("uge" as Trump would say) public meeting today with my suit on and a big patch on my neck, haha. Might even see me in the news tonight. Way more street cred than a neck tattoo, by the way...

15. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Well, after a long wait post-surgery I got the word late yesterday that the margins on my surgery looked good. I made it through. Stitches come out Monday. I have decided to tell people that a marlin got my neck. This has made me appreciate things a bit more, and pay attention to really what matters. It always does. I appreciate the times I have gotten to fish with some of you guys here and look forward to more of that.

16. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    looking forward to see pics of you catchin fish

17. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    That's great news Dave, I've been through it a few times myself, and it's always a little stressful waiting for that report!

The unknown fisherman:p: