Abaco

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
Today, I'm home from work, sitting here with a big patch on my neck. Yesterday morning I learned that I had a third melanoma and was in surgery in the afternoon. Prognosis on this one is very good. But, I was thinking that one reason I deal with this crap nowadays was because of all that fishing I did as a kid, and other stuff that exposes us to the sun. I do know some dark-complected people who have had to deal with this, too. So, of course, take steps to protect your skin when you're out fishing, etc. But, also, make a point to protect the kids you take fishing, too. That seems like when the real damage is done, young in life. I'm old enough that they hadn't really made the connection (sun=cancer) when I was a kid and man, I'd burn something awful. If you've detected a new mole or a change in one don't hesitate to have a dermatologist check it out. A lot of general practitioners may not have a clue on this stuff.

I think I might start fishing in one of those big ole Chinese saucer hats...

Reactions: Pangamaster

dan1

Feb 7, 2008
People's Republic of Kalifornia
Name
dan
Boat
I think sunscreen is useless. Everyone still look like beef jerky at the end of the day. And the greasy oily smell in the hot sun is nasty. So much easier to just put on a big hat and long sleeve shirt. I make my own neck gaitor from old t-shirts.

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
sunscreen works great if you use it correctly, and use the right SPF. 30 is just basting sauce.

I use 70 these days, and put it on at least 30 min before exposure. I reapply mid afternoon if I'm going to be out all day.....

I've had a few basil cell carcinomas removed, and I as well am convinced its sun exposure (as a kid) related.

Reactions: ReelDealAngler

Normslanding

Oct 13, 2010
Palmetto, Fl., USA
Name
Dave Spangler
Boat
Blue Heaven
And gloves. The stitches come out of my hand next week. We were just out at Passage Key (entrance to Tampa Bay) last week. The water was 92 Deg. We were watching all the beautiful young naked things, and drinking Rum. The SPF 50 went on 3 times, we still got fried. My learning curve is verrrrry long. Covering up when you can is the best. Pick your spots, reduce your times to be stupid. This is wisdom for you younger immortals.

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Yep, younger years in the sun for sure is a huge factor. Don't think for a second that if you have a darker complexion it wont get ya....... I've watched it happen to many!

I am very iffy about the sunscreen as well......I'm not totally convinced it does all it claims. When I use it (the stuff the derms recommend), I always have problems. There have also been recent concerns with the sunscreen itself possibly causing cancer. It's harsh chemicals you put on your face & skin, so it's not totally out of the question.

Long sleeve t shirts are a definite thing for me alot now, and it's good to see so many more guys using the face buffs........ those can be a huge help.

The unknown fisherman:p:

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
Apr 21, 2013
Dana Point,CA
Name
Garry
Boat
Reel Estate
Lots of excellent new SPF 50 rated clothing and hats on the market for anglers... cotton T-shirts (short or long) do not protect you from the harmful sun rays... nice thing about the better quality SPF clothing is it dries much faster than cotton does and it breathes real well too, its also lighter on so when going long sleeve you hardly notice it unless its too tight on the fit. I too got way too much sun in my younger days and have had several visits to the dermatologist to have sun damage removed. Your skin is your largest organ so you've got to protect it as such.

G

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
The most important thing is to educate the kids...those of us suffering from it now are doing that because we didn't prevent sun exposure when we were young. Mostly what we can do is treat it, not prevent it.

I seem to get a divot burned off or taken out just about every check-up, and I make sure to point the spots out to my kids, and tell them how much it costs. I can't get them to wear sunscreen as religiously as they should, but certainly they're better than I did.

carloscafe

Jan 9, 2012
Sacramento
Name
Darrin
Boat
N/A
Dave
Hope you recover fast and get back on your feet. It a good reminder for me even though I am dark-complected i burn every year and I alway say i going to put on sun screen.

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Dave, this is a great reminder! Hope you heal quickly and are ready for your next fishing adventure...

My father and brother died from melanoma. To say I am careful about sun exposure is an understatement. Started sun protection at an early age (4 years old) and rarely experienced a sunburn as a kid or adult. I wear a huge brimmed straw hat, long sleeves, pants, gloves and 50 SPF sunblock (at least) when fishing. Don't care what I look like. Would rather look stupid than be dead. The sunblock makes a huge difference for me. Remember to use waterproof versions and reapply!

- Jeff Burroughs

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Apr 24, 2005
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat
Franks ho
I remember as a kid, sitting in the family boat on the sloughs in Nor Cal. No hat, no sunscreen. I don't think anybody in the family used it. And we were all burnt to a crisp.
My brother has the reddish complexion. He had 15 skin cancers taken off him last year.
Thanks Dad.

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
Don't forget the SPF lip balm. The skin at the lip area is thin and very susceptible to over exposure. I keep one in my deck box on every trip.

Reactions: PheasantHunter

Wandering Blues

Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
All you need to do is look at my avatar to know where I stand.... It's not skin cancer I'm afraid of. It's the beating my wife would give me if I got skin cancer that scares the shit outta me...

Reactions: PheasantHunter

Squid Sammich

Aug 23, 2015
Texas
Name
Matt
Boat
To be determined
And I'm a pastey white kracka! I have to wear FRC coveralls at work and have been working 7-12s since first week of february so no opportunities to tan.

What is a good brand of sunscreen that will last and not burn your eyes too bad?

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
I go in for yearly full body exams, but the dermatologist is extremely pretty and I'm tempted to make those monthly appointments. :-)

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
Yeah, I often wear the long sleeves. I hate sleeves and all that and go with the short sleeves and tank tops in the evenings. But, I need to stay on it, for sure. Just changed my first bandage out and didn't puke or pass out. That first one can be a doosey. Got a pretty big scar across the side of my neck now. Gonna tell people a marlin got me.

As far as sunblocks...I have been using Solbar products with very good success. I haven't been burned in many years, probably a couple decades. The Solbar stuff stays effective while fishing and doesn't feel like axle grease. Great stuff.

I was quite unhappy when I got the call yesterday. I wasn't afraid of the surgery or any of that crap. But, the thought that popped into my head was, "Who'll take care of my family if something happens to me?" I have two little kids, and melanoma isn't a joke. Oh, mama would get a fat check but I want to get my kids to adulthood. After that, it's naked surfing for me...

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
heal quickly dave had the same thing early this year I'm old enough now that the scare just looks like more old guy wrinkles

Montaukmaniac

Thats my son, not me.
Feb 8, 2011
Westchester NY
Name
Steve
Boat
miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
Dave, this is a great reminder! Hope you heal quickly and are ready for your next fishing adventure...

My father and brother died from melanoma. To say I am careful about sun exposure is an understatement. Started sun protection at an early age (4 years old) and rarely experienced a sunburn as a kid or adult. I wear a huge brimmed straw hat, long sleeves, pants, gloves and 50 SPF sunblock (at least) when fishing. Don't care what I look like. Would rather look stupid than be dead. The sunblock makes a huge difference for me. Remember to use waterproof versions and reapply!

- Jeff Burroughs

Jeff has the right perspective IMHO.

Wish I had started @ 4 YO!!!

Spent lots of time in the sun fishing as a kid & have had several episodes if precancerous stuff removed.

Dermatologists cite early exposure as a key risk factor.

LOVE fishing. HATE cancer.

Proper planning prevents poor performance..

It's a small price to pay for preventing melanoma.

Hope you have a full & speedy recovery, Dave.

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
Great reminder for people. One thing that I find is that if I make it difficult to put on sun screen I'll usually just go "ahhh fuck it.... it aint that sunny!" and then wake up the next day as red as a ferrari. So what I do is I use the aerosol SPF 50 stuff and put the bottle right next to my tackle box. Not in my tackle box, but right next to it so that whenever I walk by I'm reminded to use it. I put it on probably 3 or 4 times a day and when I came back from my last trip (a 9day) the way my skin looked, it didn't even look like I had left the house.

Reactions: Montaukmaniac

Anglewood

Up to no good...
Feb 16, 2012
Culver City, CA
Name
Connor
Boat
Intrepid, New Del Mar
Great reminder for people. One thing that I find is that if I make it difficult to put on sun screen I'll usually just go "ahhh fuck it.... it aint that sunny!" and then wake up the next day as red as a ferrari. So what I do is I use the aerosol SPF 50 stuff and put the bottle right next to my tackle box. Not in my tackle box, but right next to it so that whenever I walk by I'm reminded to use it. I put it on probably 3 or 4 times a day and when I came back from my last trip (a 9day) the way my skin looked, it didn't even look like I had left the house.
I do the same thing, and have also been picking up more of the long sleeve fishing shirts. One time to also get lathered up is before you even board the boat. On one of my trips this year, the boat was delayed, and by the time we were able to board, I was already a little pink.

-Connor

Brad I

Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
I use sunscreen religously on board, and not only does my face look the same when I return, but I swear that my skin is actually softer after a long trip! Yeah, I know it sounds like some sort of beauty commercial, but the lotion really does seem to moisturize my face.

Brad I

Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
I do the same thing, and have also been picking up more of the long sleeve fishing shirts. One time to also get lathered up is before you even board the boat. On one of my trips this year, the boat was delayed, and by the time we were able to board, I was already a little pink.

-Connor
Yep. Often I'll even put on a light coat the day we return because I'll be spending a couple of hours pushing and sorting fish, taking stuff to the car, etc. And always wear a hat, esp if you no longer have a full head of hair for protection.

The Great PF

Apr 24, 2012
Carrollton/TX/USA
Name
Roy Todd
Boat
None
Amen to reminding everyone about the effects of the sun. Sorry for the oversized photo, but you can see how I take care of my skin now that I've had several bouts of skin cancer. I've had to sit in that chair more times than I can count. FWIW, the face mask I use is called Breathe Like A Fish. Very comfortable, and a lot easier to breathe through than the others I've tried. I slather my feet in sunscreen, too.

And, in case you were wondering, we caught LOTS of snappers like this one, and we had to throw them all back since the season is currently closed. Politicians in Washington think they know more about Gulf of Mexico red snapper than the people who cannot get their baits past these voracious feeders because there are so many of them.

PF
upload_2015-9-3_13-57-33.jpeg