Health Related PSA for My Fellow LR'ers

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Abaco, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Today, I'm home from work, sitting here with a big patch on my neck. Yesterday morning I learned that I had a third melanoma and was in surgery in the afternoon. Prognosis on this one is very good. But, I was thinking that one reason I deal with this crap nowadays was because of all that fishing I did as a kid, and other stuff that exposes us to the sun. I do know some dark-complected people who have had to deal with this, too. So, of course, take steps to protect your skin when you're out fishing, etc. But, also, make a point to protect the kids you take fishing, too. That seems like when the real damage is done, young in life. I'm old enough that they hadn't really made the connection (sun=cancer) when I was a kid and man, I'd burn something awful. If you've detected a new mole or a change in one don't hesitate to have a dermatologist check it out. A lot of general practitioners may not have a clue on this stuff.

I think I might start fishing in one of those big ole Chinese saucer hats...

Pangamaster likes this.
  2. Cast Gold

Cast Gold hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....

Name:
    Kris
    Boat:
    Mike's
  3. dan1

dan1 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    dan
    Boat:
    I think sunscreen is useless. Everyone still look like beef jerky at the end of the day. And the greasy oily smell in the hot sun is nasty. So much easier to just put on a big hat and long sleeve shirt. I make my own neck gaitor from old t-shirts.

4. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt did you say F I S H I N G ???

Name:
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat:
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    sunscreen works great if you use it correctly, and use the right SPF. 30 is just basting sauce.

I use 70 these days, and put it on at least 30 min before exposure. I reapply mid afternoon if I'm going to be out all day.....

I've had a few basil cell carcinomas removed, and I as well am convinced its sun exposure (as a kid) related.

ReelDealAngler likes this.
  5. Normslanding

Normslanding I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dave Spangler
    Boat:
    Blue Heaven
    And gloves. The stitches come out of my hand next week. We were just out at Passage Key (entrance to Tampa Bay) last week. The water was 92 Deg. We were watching all the beautiful young naked things, and drinking Rum. The SPF 50 went on 3 times, we still got fried. My learning curve is verrrrry long. Covering up when you can is the best. Pick your spots, reduce your times to be stupid. This is wisdom for you younger immortals.

6. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Yep, younger years in the sun for sure is a huge factor. Don't think for a second that if you have a darker complexion it wont get ya....... I've watched it happen to many!

I am very iffy about the sunscreen as well......I'm not totally convinced it does all it claims. When I use it (the stuff the derms recommend), I always have problems. There have also been recent concerns with the sunscreen itself possibly causing cancer. It's harsh chemicals you put on your face & skin, so it's not totally out of the question.

Long sleeve t shirts are a definite thing for me alot now, and it's good to see so many more guys using the face buffs........ those can be a huge help.

The unknown fisherman:p:

7. ReelDealAngler

ReelDealAngler Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    Lots of excellent new SPF 50 rated clothing and hats on the market for anglers... cotton T-shirts (short or long) do not protect you from the harmful sun rays... nice thing about the better quality SPF clothing is it dries much faster than cotton does and it breathes real well too, its also lighter on so when going long sleeve you hardly notice it unless its too tight on the fit. I too got way too much sun in my younger days and have had several visits to the dermatologist to have sun damage removed. Your skin is your largest organ so you've got to protect it as such.

G

8. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    The most important thing is to educate the kids...those of us suffering from it now are doing that because we didn't prevent sun exposure when we were young. Mostly what we can do is treat it, not prevent it.

I seem to get a divot burned off or taken out just about every check-up, and I make sure to point the spots out to my kids, and tell them how much it costs. I can't get them to wear sunscreen as religiously as they should, but certainly they're better than I did.

9. finstofeathers

finstofeathers Newbie

Name:
    Leon
    Boat:
    None
    Hope everything works out good Abaco. My wife had melanoma and its no joke.

10. carloscafe

carloscafe Member

Name:
    Darrin
    Boat:
    N/A
    Dave
    Hope you recover fast and get back on your feet. It a good reminder for me even though I am dark-complected i burn every year and I alway say i going to put on sun screen.

11. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Dave, this is a great reminder! Hope you heal quickly and are ready for your next fishing adventure...

My father and brother died from melanoma. To say I am careful about sun exposure is an understatement. Started sun protection at an early age (4 years old) and rarely experienced a sunburn as a kid or adult. I wear a huge brimmed straw hat, long sleeves, pants, gloves and 50 SPF sunblock (at least) when fishing. Don't care what I look like. Would rather look stupid than be dead. The sunblock makes a huge difference for me. Remember to use waterproof versions and reapply!

- Jeff Burroughs

12. sealskinner

sealskinner Retired Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Franks ho
    I remember as a kid, sitting in the family boat on the sloughs in Nor Cal. No hat, no sunscreen. I don't think anybody in the family used it. And we were all burnt to a crisp.
    My brother has the reddish complexion. He had 15 skin cancers taken off him last year.
    Thanks Dad.

13. Cast Gold

Cast Gold hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....

Name:
    Kris
    Boat:
    Mike's
    Don't forget the SPF lip balm. The skin at the lip area is thin and very susceptible to over exposure. I keep one in my deck box on every trip.

PheasantHunter likes this.
  14. Wandering Blues

Wandering Blues I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    All you need to do is look at my avatar to know where I stand.... It's not skin cancer I'm afraid of. It's the beating my wife would give me if I got skin cancer that scares the shit outta me...

PheasantHunter likes this.
  15. Squid Sammich

Squid Sammich Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    To be determined
    And I'm a pastey white kracka! I have to wear FRC coveralls at work and have been working 7-12s since first week of february so no opportunities to tan.

What is a good brand of sunscreen that will last and not burn your eyes too bad?

16. BiggestT

BiggestT I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    I go in for yearly full body exams, but the dermatologist is extremely pretty and I'm tempted to make those monthly appointments. :-)

17. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Yeah, I often wear the long sleeves. I hate sleeves and all that and go with the short sleeves and tank tops in the evenings. But, I need to stay on it, for sure. Just changed my first bandage out and didn't puke or pass out. That first one can be a doosey. Got a pretty big scar across the side of my neck now. Gonna tell people a marlin got me.

As far as sunblocks...I have been using Solbar products with very good success. I haven't been burned in many years, probably a couple decades. The Solbar stuff stays effective while fishing and doesn't feel like axle grease. Great stuff.

I was quite unhappy when I got the call yesterday. I wasn't afraid of the surgery or any of that crap. But, the thought that popped into my head was, "Who'll take care of my family if something happens to me?" I have two little kids, and melanoma isn't a joke. Oh, mama would get a fat check but I want to get my kids to adulthood. After that, it's naked surfing for me...

18. finishright

finishright Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike Morris
    Boat:
    prowler kayak
    heal quickly dave had the same thing early this year I'm old enough now that the scare just looks like more old guy wrinkles

19. Montaukmaniac

Montaukmaniac Thats my son, not me.

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"

Jeff has the right perspective IMHO.

Wish I had started @ 4 YO!!!

Spent lots of time in the sun fishing as a kid & have had several episodes if precancerous stuff removed.

Dermatologists cite early exposure as a key risk factor.

LOVE fishing. HATE cancer.

Proper planning prevents poor performance..

It's a small price to pay for preventing melanoma.

Hope you have a full & speedy recovery, Dave.

20. Scold

Scold Yes, that's my back.

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    N/A :(
    Great reminder for people. One thing that I find is that if I make it difficult to put on sun screen I'll usually just go "ahhh fuck it.... it aint that sunny!" and then wake up the next day as red as a ferrari. So what I do is I use the aerosol SPF 50 stuff and put the bottle right next to my tackle box. Not in my tackle box, but right next to it so that whenever I walk by I'm reminded to use it. I put it on probably 3 or 4 times a day and when I came back from my last trip (a 9day) the way my skin looked, it didn't even look like I had left the house.

Montaukmaniac likes this.