heads up, for us old guys

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by freegaff2, Sep 30, 2016.

1. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    just got back from a 3.5, feeling kind of crappy(bronchitis) and my face felt like it was on fire. Doc checks me out...shingles. No, I didn't get the shot. He talked primarily about stress, and knew I had gone fishing...he has too. Stress of getting ready, the drive down, not enough sleep, anticipation, more sun and wind and bingo, you've got it. When I'm cleared up, I'll get the shot...this shit is no fun :(

surfgoose likes this.
  2. jdmanowar

jdmanowar Member

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    none yet
    Wow...that sucks. I'm gettin ready to go on a 5 day and am all amped up for days...fishing tackle, fishing strategy, and fishing dreams...hope it don't happen to me.

3. jiggyn

jiggyn Do you even fish?

Name:
    Jerr
    Boat:
    Suck it
    Shingles suck I had it took 2 weeks to clear and 2 weeks if intense fire needle pain

4. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I'm sorry for your pain, but thanks for giving the warning. I and my wife both got the shots as soon as they became available, I had watched my father suffer from two attacks. Absolutely no reason not to get the shot now, even if you don't remember ever being exposed to the chicken pox as a little kid. How many of us remember everything that happened the first four or five years of our lives?

freegaff2 likes this.
  5. Nuclieye

Nuclieye Member

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    Water Missle
    I had shingles at age 10 and it sucked but unlikely to ever get it again. Never did have chicken pox though. Wife got shingles a few years ago and never felt any pain from it just the wounds.

6. big dog62

big dog62 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    spanky
    Boat:
    sac-yac
    Yikes! No good time to get shingles, but on a LR trip has to rank up there with the worst. Feel for ya Craig. I did have the shot a few years back, anyone know how long it's good for?

freegaff2 likes this.
  7. Montaukmaniac

Montaukmaniac Thats my son, not me.

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
    Get vaccinated, 2 week or more, of feeling like your being sandblasted is the pits!

(awesome invention) Man, do I love science!

8. Bottom Line

Bottom Line Village idiot

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Invader CC - Bottom Line
    I'm just now finishing up with having shingles over damn near half of my head - got it in May and was put on opioids for 5 weeks and large doses of Prednisone. I lost most of my hearing in my right ear and still have a totally different feeling on the affected side of my face. I ballooned up to 230 lbs but working on that - lost 16 lbs of it so far. This was a miserable illness.

Chris Penning and freegaff2 like this.
  9. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    Worst damn thing I've ever seen, not me but my girl got it, sheer agony.

10. BornFisher

BornFisher Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bill Fisher
    Boat:
    18' Bayliner Trophy, cuddy
    You can get rid of it for $100 (or $120 can`t remember). Best money I ever spent!!! Suffered 8 days of terrible pain, couldn`t sleep for more than 30 minutes. Went to an acupuncturist, took my shirt off, he did his thing for about 2 minutes (could barely feel anything), I layed there for 20 minutes, pain and shingles GONE!!!!!! Call one near you ads ask about shingles, or message me for someone in Encinitas.

11. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    A few years ago in quick succession my brother, business partner and mother got it, two of them had it bad. It convinced me to get vaccinated and I'd recommend the same for just about anybody. Can be extremely painful and long lasting. I'm told that the vaccine is not 100%, but its better than nothing.

12. albacore11

albacore11 Member Intrepid 200# Club

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Gone but not forgotten
    When I was very young, under 5, I had the worst case of chicken pox the doctor had ever come across. I developed shingles in high school, just the hives and sores around my waist.

I have lived through many, many stressful things during my life since then, and fortunately have never had a recurrence.

PS; I don't find going long range fishing stressful, quite the opposite!!!

13. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Guess I'm pretty glad I got that vaccination. Like a Flu Shot. Might have prevented a death on the Independence a few years back. An angler from Bridgeport, retired motorcycle cop, got the flu and died. I think I need that one again.

freegaff2 likes this.
  14. dtf

dtf Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    22ft, Pursuit
    A lot more to that unfortunate situation than the flu.

15. Paul Dennis

Paul Dennis Member

Name:
    Paul Dennis
    Boat:
    26 ft Boulton
    Sorry to hear this. I know that really hurts! Just one more thing that canscrew up a Fishing trip for us older dudes. That's the problem with long range fishing..when you're in your 30's you can't afford it, when you're 40 or 50 you can't get enough time off, then when you're in your late 60's or 70, your body can't be at the rail as long...lots that can fall apart with these older bods. My last 3 day I forgot my flowmax for my prostate and when I put on a scopolamine patch, I got urinary retention...try fighting a cow with a bladder the size of a basketball. But who the hell wants to stay home.

freegaff2 likes this.
  16. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    F*@k that! No thanks, I'll pass.

Eastern medicine is no joke. Fixed my carpal tunnel (temporarily, need to return again), totally fixed my Sciatic nerve problem, but, I had a ruptured Achilles tendon fixed with it - albeit, it was painful therapy, however, I didn't miss any work and didn't get surgery. My doc pincushion works magic. They have been doing this successfully for millenniums.