Seeking Kodak Moments
May 17, 2011
Shelton, WA Mason
www.sagecreekforums.com
Name
Greg Eastman
Boat
Kodak II - Arima SL 22
Still sorting and packing this AM but will be on the road about noon arriving at Big Piney WY tomorrow for some ELK.

May not have access to the web thru the end of the month- so you folks play nice - and save some TUNA for us.

11 years ago I asked if she could skin ELK and she said, "I can skin em as fast as you can get em " not knowing she was quoting my favorite movie Jeremiah Johnson. We are slower now but still going after them.

I added several posts with the hunt report and pictures below........

[/ATTACH]
ElkSkinned-1.jpg
G J Hunt07.jpg

Last edited:

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
Vacancy
Kill a yummi one

GregE

Seeking Kodak Moments
May 17, 2011
Shelton, WA Mason
www.sagecreekforums.com
Name
Greg Eastman
Boat
Kodak II - Arima SL 22
camper.jpg

R fire 2.jpg

Hmmm, late report starting with the trip back
21 hours driving home. We put a lot of miles on wheels and boots- Saw 25 + deer, 4 moose, dozens of pronghorn, 4 grouse, 30 bluebirds, lots of hawks..... and one ELK for a very short time. Hope to try again

Here's the comment my sponsor/ guide Shane posted on FB

This was a very hard hunt,, dry as a pop corn fart,,fires burning on two fronts,, the elk did not make a sound,, and the full moon did not help,, the deer hunter were every were before we even started,, We did cover a lot of ground ,,When we get some snow they start to move a lot more,,,
Mule Deer 2.jpg
ATV G s.jpg WY Aspen.jpg WY SR 1.jpg

Last edited:

GregE

Seeking Kodak Moments
May 17, 2011
Shelton, WA Mason
www.sagecreekforums.com
Name
Greg Eastman
Boat
Kodak II - Arima SL 22
Beaver Pond.jpg

OK here's some details and pictures
Shane helped set up camp then we took the ATVs out for an orientation tour and to check for critter sign. At 9000' there is no O2 so we took it slow. At 73 being able to ride near a hunting area before using boot leather is a big plus.
The next day I took Judy up to the ridge above the Red Castles ( you can see the smoke ) - strong wind blowing up the bluff- nearly lost my hat.
Wyoming Hunting with Heroes Sublette Co chapter sponsored my hunt and provided a donated general ELK tag. Shane Lawrence is the chapter head and hunted with me 5 times- other times I hunted on my own. WY Red Castles 1.jpg WY Judy bluff.jpg WY Judy.jpg J trail.jpg WY Shane.jpg

GregE

Seeking Kodak Moments
May 17, 2011
Shelton, WA Mason
www.sagecreekforums.com
Name
Greg Eastman
Boat
Kodak II - Arima SL 22
Shane.jpg

Camo.jpg

Strangely this year the early rifle for Mule deer is open on top of my hunt. I saw three bowhunters and several hundred gun hunters ( most driving around ) in 10 days.
Shane took me about 25 miles N but the area we wanted to hunt was blocked off by the FS folks for ' potential fire danger'. We grabbed another location and it looked pretty good but was near a spot a family was confronted by a pack of wolves earlier. Shane was packing so I left my extra 2 pounds and went light- trying to keep up on the climbs...
My hearing is worse in the higher frequencies so Shane heard several ELK sound I didn't (much like my situation with hunting buddy Mike over the years where I carried pebbles in my pocket to get his attention )
After a couple hours and several set ups Shane pointed down slope and I moved to a spot with several shooting lanes and set up. He cow called and occasionally bugled for about 10 minutes and I finally saw movement down by the stream below and signaled with a wave of my arrow fletchings at the bowhunter creeping along looking for us.
With just a couple days left Bandaid talked with some deer hunters that had stopped by previously and they said they had seen elk nearly every day but about 20 miles S. We drove down but weren't impressed with the heavily burned area with limited access.

Shane came up the next day and said he knew an area near there so we headed up- and I mean UP We ? I took a rest near the top and decided to hunt back thru the burned Aspen woods into the wind. We saw some deer and Shane heard some elk respond to his calls. We set up in a likely area near a spring seep. As I was sitting on a log, an elk spotted me and quickly turned away behind the brush. 30 yards and 3 seconds....... the only ELK I saw in 10 days
Fire Damage.jpg
Fire etching.jpg
rock face 2.jpg

GregE

Seeking Kodak Moments
May 17, 2011
Shelton, WA Mason
www.sagecreekforums.com
Name
Greg Eastman
Boat
Kodak II - Arima SL 22
Old and Gray.jpg

I related to the old, gray and crooked tree.....
We packed up while the first rain since July poured with hail.... and witnessed a rainbow below us.
We are planning to go back for the Nov 1- 12 antlerless season- no TUNA this year so I better bring back an ELK for the freezer.. :)

Have I mentioned how much I like quaking aspens in all their golden glory?!?!
Rainbow s.jpg
Aspens.jpg

Last edited:

kenzmad

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 18, 2011
kent,wa
www.jamiesseptic.com
Name
jamie
Boat
nwj 218 lightning
That picture of the rainbow is awesome! That is why we venture out into the woods. There are not many people that have been above a rainbow. Thanks for sharing your trip. Fantastic time even with no critters.

GregE

Seeking Kodak Moments
May 17, 2011
Shelton, WA Mason
www.sagecreekforums.com
Name
Greg Eastman
Boat
Kodak II - Arima SL 22
Heading back for antlerless season Nov 1-12. Was planning to leave tomorrow but it's been 64 degrees at 7000'..........

Elk in the high desert sage are tough to spot so hoping for some snow- a little is due next Mon / tue so leaving Fri may work.
Photo from last October
WYoming Elk country.jpg

muskyman

Tina come get some ham
Feb 10, 2005
Loudon TN
Name
David
Boat
Crestliner 1750 Sportfish 150 E-Tec
Go get em ! I wish you guys the best of luck ! Persistence pays off. I hope to go elk hunting one day before I push dirt.

Odin7

Doug Fir
Apr 19, 2008
Beverly Hills
Name
Elizabeth Warning
Boat
Space Shuttle
Incredible scenery. Hard to make a good stew out of it, but none the less, it fills a void somewhere in your body.

Good luck on the next trip.

Looking forward to your next post.