Peteb

newbie my ass
  • Nov 30, 2010
    Lake Havasu City, Az
    Name
    Pete
    Boat Name
    None
    My wife and I and our 2 yellow labs will be heading to Vista to house sit our friend's condo 8/10 -8/20. I'm really hoping to sneak off for a day trip fishing. Leaving my wife with 2 pups is pushing my luck so I don't think I can do an overnighter. Looking at options out of O'side is pretty limited. Any other options that aren't a 2 hour drive? Also, I could not find any fish processors nearby. I know I can get them cleaned on the boat, but I don't want to trash our friend's kitchen having to "touch up the deck hands fish cleaning", plus I want to have them vac sealed, ready for the freezer. So, all you North County boys and girls, any suggestions?
    TIA
    Pete

Upvote 0

beavis3

Aug 30, 2021
    san diego
    Name
    CS
    Boat Name
    what?
    My wife and I and our 2 yellow labs will be heading to Vista to house sit our friend's condo 8/10 -8/20. I'm really hoping to sneak off for a day trip fishing. Leaving my wife with 2 pups is pushing my luck so I don't think I can do an overnighter. Looking at options out of O'side is pretty limited. Any other options that aren't a 2 hour drive? Also, I could not find any fish processors nearby. I know I can get them cleaned on the boat, but I don't want to trash our friend's kitchen having to "touch up the deck hands fish cleaning", plus I want to have them vac sealed, ready for the freezer. So, all you North County boys and girls, any suggestions?
    TIA
    Pete

We live in north county and do a fair number of day boats. Assuming you want to go for anything but small rockfish, the landings at Pt Loma or Seaforth are the best options, probably less than an hour at 4am from Vista. Not aware of any fish processing options around here, and you will be getting off the day boat at 6pm or later. I have not ever seen the processors meet a day boat, but one thing we have done is drop off fish at Sportsman's, which is right next to Seaforth, and pick it up the next day. I would definitely call them given how busy things have been to make sure they will be open + make reservation.

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat Name
    uh....
    From Oceanside, you’ll be a half hour fro the San Diego landings to Dana Point. You can also see what the O-95 has going, they run out of Oceanside.

Only fish processing is in San Diego.

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0

Peteb

newbie my ass
  • Nov 30, 2010
    Lake Havasu City, Az
    Name
    Pete
    Boat Name
    None
    We live in north county and do a fair number of day boats. Assuming you want to go for anything but small rockfish, the landings at Pt Loma or Seaforth are the best options, probably less than an hour at 4am from Vista. Not aware of any fish processing options around here, and you will be getting off the day boat at 6pm or later. I have not ever seen the processors meet a day boat, but one thing we have done is drop off fish at Sportsman's, which is right next to Seaforth, and pick it up the next day. I would definitely call them given how busy things have been to make sure they will be open + make reservation.
    I usually fish the SD landings 3-4 times a year and always use 5 Star. With the tuna moving north I thought there might be a chance the O'side boats might be chasing them. Obviously by looking at the fish counts that's not the case. Not interested in catching 12" Calico's and Sand Bass.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats
    From Oceanside, you’ll be a half hour fro the San Diego landings to Dana Point. You can also see what the O-95 has going, they run out of Oceanside.

Only fish processing is in San Diego.
    And most processors are super busy,
    This time of year, so don’t do A trip
    Last minute, and expect them to do it same day.

Reactions: beavis3
    Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat Name
    skiff
    I don't think I can do an overnighter.
    "The San Diego", Liberty, Grande and Mission Belle offer full day 5-5 trips. These trips will be your best shot at tuna, yellowtail or dorado.

Also, I could not find any fish processors nearby.
    Marios fish processing / Sportsman Seafood, Five Star and Fishermans processing all have fillet and vacuum pack options.

Top Choice fish market in Carlsbad had fish cleaning and vacuum packaging.
    Although, they may have closed during Covid.

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat Name
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    Upvote 0