Peteb

newbie my ass
Nov 30, 2010
Lake Havasu City, Az
Name
Pete
Boat
None
My wife and I are going to give the snowbird thing a shot. We will be staying in Lake Havasu City for the month of January. I’m not dragging the boat down so I’ll be a bank fisherman unless I can hook up with someone that needs a ho. What type gear should I bring? What fisheries are going on in January? Also thinking about running over to the coast to visit friends in the old hood (North San Diego County) and getting out on a party boat. What’s going to be going on mid January? Thanks for any info on either place.
Pete

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Havasu might have some striper biting. Just a guess, I've never fished it.

San Diego will definitely have rockfish, and halibut. There's word the bluefin are south and moving up. Might have a chance at them guys.

Upvote 0

DMcD

Nov 21, 2011
Idyllwild, Ca USA
Name
Dennis McDougall
Boat
None
Haven't fished Havasu in January, but it has good fishing for stripers and largemouth, and has turned into an incredible fishery for really nice-sized smallmouth (up to 5 lbs that I've personally caught) over the last 5-10 years. I would imagine the quality of fishing in January is going to weather dependent.

Upvote 0

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
Pinedale WY USA
Name
Dave Harper
Boat
17 Crestliner
Never fished it, but it has been in the news regarding record redeared sunfish. They are eating the zebra mussels and growing to ridiculous size, like 5-6 pounds!

Reactions: Arima-bob
Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Never fished it, but it has been in the news regarding record redeared sunfish. They are eating the zebra mussels and growing to ridiculous size, like 5-6 pounds!

That's great news! Finally found something that eats them little bastards.

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
Let us see some pics of 6 lb. sunfish from Havasu.

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
5 lb'er fights like a 10 lb black bass........for 2 minutes.

I won't eat them anymore after I saw a bunch of em circling the ducks eating bread tossed into the water at The Waters resturant on the north lake at Woodbridge. As soon as the carps would grab a hunk of bread the ducks zoomed in to get the crumbs. Then the ducks would take a huge dump and the bluegills would swarm the poop cloud and scarf it all up.

I have enjoyed catching tons of them during my lifetime.(probably a slight exageration)

Reactions: Peteb
Upvote 0

Peteb

newbie my ass
Nov 30, 2010
Lake Havasu City, Az
Name
Pete
Boat
None
D5FF4A51-B75D-40C7-A308-B8ECF206CD6A.jpeg
Fished a couple of times off the dock at Site Six, with no luck. But each time saw guys leaving with stringers full of eater size Stripers. Come to find out those guys were getting there at 2-3am and leaving just after sunrise. Fished with a guide a week ago, barely fish able because of the wind. Still ended up with 3 keeper Stripers and released a pretty nice size large mouth.

Upvote 0