Heading to La Bocana

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by jeffzou, Dec 25, 2012.

1. jeffzou

jeffzou Go ROYALS!

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Formerly the glorious "Two Kinds O' Pie"
    Leaving 12/26 returing 01/01. First ever time going to area. Will hope to snap pics and relay the trip.

Fingers crossed !!!

:jig:

2. smokinwater

smokinwater "Fire's Out!"

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    won't b mine
    Have a blast!! Wish I was going.

3. yellowklr

yellowklr My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    complicated
    Nice time of year to be there
    I've been twice for New Years and its a great time and good fishing......Make sure you hit up the Towns New Year Party its a blast!

4. Bajayounggun

Bajayounggun Newbie

hung out in la bocana for two weeks in november. The town is awesome!! Great fishing and beautiful area. One of the golden treasures of baja. Make sure you fish off the beach you will catch corvina, halibut, calicos and even yellowtail! You will catch grouper and yellows offshore. This time of year the yellows can be bruisers. Hang out at joquins place and he will cook you amazing food and you will be able to hang with all the locals. I would stay at les and blancas bed and breakfast, its beautiful and les cooks a great breakfast in the morning. Hope you have a great time and if you can tell les and blanca, richard and joquin that Gary and Gary said feliz navidad and happy new year!!!

5. Fish Asassin

Fish Asassin one cast = one kill

Name:
    Fred Garvin
    Boat:
    U.S.S. Mobile (LKA 115)
    If you have never been down there, just take your time and be sure to gas up in El Rosario! That will get you all the way to Vizcaino. Then you are almost there. Have Fun!

6. jeffzou

jeffzou Go ROYALS!

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Gary,

We are planning on doing exactly aas you outlined. Staying at Les's B&B, panga for one or two days then beach fishing the other 2 or 3 days.

Looking forward to it all and will tell them all hello from "Gary and Gary"

Jeff

7. jeffzou

jeffzou Go ROYALS!

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Thanks for the advice. We will heed it.

Jeff

8. MTBFISH

MTBFISH Newbie

Name:
    Marc
    Boat:
    Aquasport 215 explorer
    my 2 cents, only toppoff in el rosario, fill up at San Quintin, El rosario is known for shorting you at the pump, you never get what you pay for. most vehicules can make jesus maria without gassing up from the guys with 5 gall at the Bay of LA turnoff. The Hotel next to the gas staion in El rosario rocks, puts Mama's to shame in quality and ammenities, including the locked parking lot, we only stay there now if we have to stay in El Rosario. As Derek recommended, hit the new years party at the community building. sounds like you got the rest figured out... hit la bocanita, La lobera, and in front my place the RV lot north of the radar tower, you cant go wrong... Crocodiles will be your best friend, buy lots, and then buy more.

9. PescadorJim

PescadorJim Newbie

Name:
    Jim Anderson
    Boat:
    21.5 Triumph / Moosea
    I have never seen Antonio, who is the owner of the El Rosario Pemex Station, short change anyone. This was one of the first Qualli stations which is very hard to get and he is a well respected business man who owns the hotel Baja Cactus as well.

Here on BDoutdoors as well as Bajanomads, I have never heard of anyone being shorted there. Vizcaino that may not be true and Guerrero Negro has common reports but your report is the very first I have ever heard.

10. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    I thought all pemex's have a calculated skim. So much so that Pemex's in Mariano advertize that their pumps are 100% accurate 'LITRO X LITRO". Since I save $60-$70 per tank in Mex and tip the pumpette 10pesos per tank.... it's not an issue

There are many new Pemex's south of San Quintin. I prefer the diesel at Pino's because of it's high volume.

If you are worried about running out of gas, fill up when you can, don't be concerned about getting ripped off 20 pesos. Running out of gas is more costly.

Also the best hotel for beds, cleanliness and price is La Turista in El Rosario. The hotels close to the Pemex are too noisy with the trucks down shifting into town. La Turista is on the south edge, north side and is boat friendly. Vest way to get your boat in is to back it in.

suerte y feliz viaje

11. Fish Asassin

Fish Asassin one cast = one kill

Name:
    Fred Garvin
    Boat:
    U.S.S. Mobile (LKA 115)
    Everyboy has their own routine. Point is, after El Rosario, you wont see a gas station for awhile! :hali_parkutuli:

12. yellowklr

yellowklr My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    complicated
    X2 on La Turista in El Rosario it a great little spot to spend the night........Also NEVER had a problem at the Pemex in Rosario....

13. jeffzou

jeffzou Go ROYALS!

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Made it home. Had a really nice time and caught some fish. The Yellowtail bite was good - mostly trolling rapalas. Hit a big school of birds and troll right into them. If we got bit it was almost always a double. Other than that, heavier irons were the ticket.

Limts of Yellowtail for 2 days on 2 pangas from the La Bocana co-op fleet.

Spent one day fishing the estuary with a couple of young kids we meet and befriended. They had a good day and the little fellow with the baseball cap is a better fisherman already than I'll ever be. The fellow I went with loaded the kids up with extra gear and stuff. Got home around 2pm that day and sometime later the kid comes strolling up to our hotel with a plate of fried fish and a plate of salsa that his Mom made for us - just to say thank you in their way.

Had dinner two nights at Joaquins place in town. Fun atmosphere. VERY friendly guys. There was a family from Tijuana staying next to us at Les' B&B who also came to dinner. Husband, wife, 21 and 23 year old daughters. ALL OF THEM FISHING TOGETHER AS A FAMILY and caught their limts of YT as well. Just cool to see the girls and Mom enjoy the fishing experience as well as Dad.

We stayed the night in Ensenada on the drive down and the drive back. Came back through San Ysidro on New Years Morning at 8:30 am. The border wait was ZERO! We crossed in 15 minuted even with secondary inspection!!! Hooray!

Drive from Ensenada to La Bocana was 10 hours. Never had experienced the scenery in Baja south of Ensenada. It was interesting to say the least, beautiful at its best. Never thought I'd see a cactus farm but for some reason it struck me as interesting. For sure stop in Guerro Negro for a couple of fish Tacos at El Muelles taco truck. Wow - amazing batter. Also, you can get a Hamburgesa anywhere now ! LOL

Best gas advice is to not let it become an issue. We planned fopr gas and never allowed it to become an issue.

Roads were much better than I expected from hearing and reading about it. Don't get me wrong it is NERVE RACKING at some level in certain conditions. Driving in the dark is trecherous. Passing a FOOL riding a bike at the same time a SEMI is barrelling past is crazy ( how that guy didn't get splattered as he, the semi and our our truck were all parrallel on 25 feet of pavement is beyond me). But our driver is very experienced in making the trip and knew how to handle it.

Interesting sites, friendly, friendly people, amazing views and real quality fishing. 13 or 14 hours from my door to La Bocana is not a trip I want to make regularly but it is a trip I will hopefuly make once or twice a year.

Jaunchy, Joaquin, Domingo are all quality skippers and top notch people whose company I enjoyed. Sunday night was our last night in town and there were horse races out on the "flats" leading to town so Joaquins place was not open. Dinner that night was ham sandwiches from the only mercado in town that was open, lol!

We stayed at Les' Baja Bocana B & B. I would absolutely do it again

https://sites.google.com/site/labocanabedandbreakfast/

Here's some photos of the drive down, the area, the fish and the drive back

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  14. saravonshep

saravonshep Member

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    Boatless
    Great report, fun times down south of the border.

15. bobrehfuss

bobrehfuss Ruffo

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    Yes
    Looks like a great trip. Congrats on the nice Yellows.