OMEGA

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 17, 2007
WA
Name
MCS
Boat
40 Cabo FB
The wife and I are heading to Cabo Dec 4th and have the air travel/hotel stuff all taken care of. Wanting to fish 1 or 2 days and looking for some input. Wanting to get out on a nice 32 Cabo or something similar. Own an Ocean SuperSport and while the Fishing is priority number 1 I am also interested in enjoying the vessel I am out on. Was thinking of going with Picante on the 32 they have if available. If I do a 2nd day of fishing I was thinking the GW 27 with Marlin Masters once again if available. I know I could do much better money wise going on a older Bert but I really want to get some ocean time on a boat I could see owning some day. How far a run to Golden Gate? Any input would be appreciated. I have only been to Cabo 1 other time and it was a day only. I fish the NW so this is much different. I have a Trini and G loomis that I would like to bring but I think it would be too much of a pain to travel with the rod.

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks,

PSW

bigdaddyjon

Sep 13, 2007
ontario , calif
www.devinehandyman.com
Name
john
Boat
none , what ever i can get on !
the golden gate is about a hour out , just got back last night from east cape and cabo , first time to golden gate and could not beleive how many jumpers and free swimmers everywhere . everymack was a hook up . got 8 and lost 4 and capt got 5 lost 2 . all stand up if i was in better shape could have done alot more . check with minervas tackle for boats or advice who to use that will take care of you . biigest to baot 180 lb stripper smallest 120 lb

Reel Obsession

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 26, 2007
Battle Ground WA
Name
Tim
Boat
26' Seaswirl Striper
Hey PSW. You mention not wanting to go out on an "older Bert", but thought I would mention a great ride out of Cabo. Renegade Mike runs a 31' Bertram out of Cabu San Lucas. If you want to see what can be done with an already classic boat, check him out. He recently rebuilt a 31' top to bottom. Completely stripped it down to bare hull and rebuild it. Great boat, great equipment, and such a good reputation that he stays very busy. That means he knows where the fish are and whats working.

Good advice also on checking in at Minerva's.

I'm headed back down in 5 days :D and will be running my own boat for a week, but still hope to get out a day with Mike, or at least see what he suggests for fishing.

Bigdaddyjon, I'll pm you, would like to ask a couple questions about your trip.

RO

Stanley

Pro Boat Scrubber
Nov 28, 2003
Agua Hedionda
Visit site
Name
Spooker
Boat
24' Skipjack FB, 19.5' Glastron SE and a ScupperPro TW
3X on Renegade Mike. He's a member here so you might want to PM him.

Rob C

Jan 10, 2006
Houston
Name
Rob Cromie
Boat
Bertram 31
4x on Mike but I am bias as I have a 31.
Rob C

Fish4Brains

May 7, 2007
Ex-democratic stronghold, Wisconsin.
Name
Mark
Boat
"Razorsharp" 25 Bertram FBC
We were on the gate in early October and the stripy action was off the hook! Free jumpers and bait balls were everywhere. We were out with Redrum but saw Renegade Mike daily on the hot spots. That is a sweet 31 and like somebody previously said I have a soft spot for a Hunt hull as you can see by my avatar.

Redrum does have a 54 Hatt that is real sweet if you want it plush.

www.redrumcabo.com
www.renegademikesportfishing.com

www.marlinmasterssportfishing.com

Buena suerta,
F4B

Fred Archer

Big Game's the Name
May 16, 2004
Laguna Niguel/Cabo
Name
Captain Fred Archer
Boat
36 Custom (Cabo)
I concur with everything said here about Renegade Mike. He is top notch, inshore or offshore and his boat is pure beauty.

Minerva is the darling of Cabo. Don't miss visiting her and her incredible tackle shop. And she also has a very good fleet of boats with top skippers.

The Checkmate Fleet is also exceptional. Capt Lalo and his Capt son, Julian ("Hoolian") are simply fantastic fishermen and people. 35 Cabo and a 33 Blackfin - both sweet.

May 27, 2008
Carlsbad, California
www.starsandstripestournament.com
Name
rick hausman
Boat
none
The Picante fleet is very good actually won the Stars and Tripes tournamenet Fishing on there Cabo 32. They also have decen't tackle. If your to bring anythng bring a bait caster. A good boat to rent is the Yahoo. Ricardo is a great captain older boat but real comfortable. The Yahoo is with Pisces .They retro the boat with underwater exhaust. Good Luck..Rick

eknock

Aug 1, 2008
orlando, fl
Name
eric
Boat
24' shearwater
Just fished Renegade Mike on the 10th and 12th. Top notch does not begin to describe him, crew, boat and equipment! Hard worker and not just taking you for a tourist boat ride. I would pay double the price to fish with him again!!!!

OMEGA

Dec 17, 2007
WA
Name
MCS
Boat
40 Cabo FB
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. The fishing in Cabo seems hot right now and hopefully it will hold. Looking forward to my trip.

surfinmex

Jul 30, 2008
San Diego
Name
Mitch
Boat
17 Homemade Dos Culeros
As Fred Archer said Minervas is the goods. Freds is a great source of info and really opened our eyes in Cabo when he arrived years ago. Bertrams are the Machines to fish from.

Team Karma

Aug 29, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
Kyle
Boat
54 Sculley: Karma 3
Can't go wrong with Picante. Personally never used Renegade Mike but I am yet to hear a single bad thing about him (which is very impressive). Picante will but much more expensive than any other company but their 32 less than a year old and the captain (Antonio "Nino" Romero) is one of the best in Cabo. Hope fishing is still red hot. We got 122 in 3 days Nov 14-16

Reel Obsession

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 26, 2007
Battle Ground WA
Name
Tim
Boat
26' Seaswirl Striper
Can't go wrong with Picante. Personally never used Renegade Mike but I am yet to hear a single bad thing about him (which is very impressive). Picante will but much more expensive than any other company but their 32 less than a year old and the captain (Antonio "Nino" Romero) is one of the best in Cabo. Hope fishing is still red hot. We got 122 in 3 days Nov 14-16
Yeah, good point Karma. I actually checked in with Picante while I was there, thought about booking on one as my 24' boat couldn't take the whole fam damily. Given the quote, I decided to pass. They were proud of the fact that "we're the highest cost boats out here". Justified it by saying they had new equipment etc etc, but will set you back a little more than most.

OMEGA

Dec 17, 2007
WA
Name
MCS
Boat
40 Cabo FB
Went out Dec 6th to Golden Gate. Had a great day fishing. Top notch Boat and Gear. Sorry it was a private vessel. Ended the day with 12 Striped Marlin. I am officially hooked.

extraction

Jun 30, 2008
Cabo San Lucas
Name
Thomas
Boat
53' Post Sportfisher - Capt. Jaime Gonzalez Jr.
Kyle,

He went out with the "El Rey de la Puerta"