Heading to Cabo Dec 4...Tips Please

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by OMEGA, Nov 15, 2008.

1. OMEGA

OMEGA Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    MCS
    Boat:
    40 Cabo FB
    The wife and I are heading to Cabo Dec 4th and have the air travel/hotel stuff all taken care of. Wanting to fish 1 or 2 days and looking for some input. Wanting to get out on a nice 32 Cabo or something similar. Own an Ocean SuperSport and while the Fishing is priority number 1 I am also interested in enjoying the vessel I am out on. Was thinking of going with Picante on the 32 they have if available. If I do a 2nd day of fishing I was thinking the GW 27 with Marlin Masters once again if available. I know I could do much better money wise going on a older Bert but I really want to get some ocean time on a boat I could see owning some day. How far a run to Golden Gate? Any input would be appreciated. I have only been to Cabo 1 other time and it was a day only. I fish the NW so this is much different. I have a Trini and G loomis that I would like to bring but I think it would be too much of a pain to travel with the rod.

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks,

PSW

2. bigdaddyjon

bigdaddyjon Newbie

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    none , what ever i can get on !
    the golden gate is about a hour out , just got back last night from east cape and cabo , first time to golden gate and could not beleive how many jumpers and free swimmers everywhere . everymack was a hook up . got 8 and lost 4 and capt got 5 lost 2 . all stand up if i was in better shape could have done alot more . check with minervas tackle for boats or advice who to use that will take care of you . biigest to baot 180 lb stripper smallest 120 lb

3. CFR

CFR Newbie

Name:
    Shane
    Boat:
    21 Ranger
    Thats a big stripper!!!!

4. Reel Obsession

Reel Obsession Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    26' Seaswirl Striper
    Hey PSW. You mention not wanting to go out on an "older Bert", but thought I would mention a great ride out of Cabo. Renegade Mike runs a 31' Bertram out of Cabu San Lucas. If you want to see what can be done with an already classic boat, check him out. He recently rebuilt a 31' top to bottom. Completely stripped it down to bare hull and rebuild it. Great boat, great equipment, and such a good reputation that he stays very busy. That means he knows where the fish are and whats working.

Good advice also on checking in at Minerva's.

I'm headed back down in 5 days :D and will be running my own boat for a week, but still hope to get out a day with Mike, or at least see what he suggests for fishing.

Bigdaddyjon, I'll pm you, would like to ask a couple questions about your trip.

RO

5. toolman213

toolman213 Newbie

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    o
    i second a trip with renegade mike. he has top notch service and a spectacular boat and crew.

6. Stanley

Stanley Pro Boat Scrubber

Name:
    Spooker
    Boat:
    24' Skipjack FB, 19.5' Glastron SE and a ScupperPro TW
    3X on Renegade Mike. He's a member here so you might want to PM him.

7. Rob C

Rob C Newbie

Name:
    Rob Cromie
    Boat:
    Bertram 31
    4x on Mike but I am bias as I have a 31.
    Rob C

8. Fish4Brains

Fish4Brains Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    "Razorsharp" 25 Bertram FBC
    We were on the gate in early October and the stripy action was off the hook! Free jumpers and bait balls were everywhere. We were out with Redrum but saw Renegade Mike daily on the hot spots. That is a sweet 31 and like somebody previously said I have a soft spot for a Hunt hull as you can see by my avatar.

Redrum does have a 54 Hatt that is real sweet if you want it plush.

www.redrumcabo.com
    www.renegademikesportfishing.com

www.marlinmasterssportfishing.com

Buena suerta,
    F4B

9. Fred Archer

Fred Archer Big Game's the Name

Name:
    Captain Fred Archer
    Boat:
    36 Custom (Cabo)
    I concur with everything said here about Renegade Mike. He is top notch, inshore or offshore and his boat is pure beauty.

Minerva is the darling of Cabo. Don't miss visiting her and her incredible tackle shop. And she also has a very good fleet of boats with top skippers.

The Checkmate Fleet is also exceptional. Capt Lalo and his Capt son, Julian ("Hoolian") are simply fantastic fishermen and people. 35 Cabo and a 33 Blackfin - both sweet.

10. Reel Obsession

Reel Obsession Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    26' Seaswirl Striper
    I don't think that Mike's website is up and running yet, but here is his email address;

[email protected]

RO

11. CaptainRick911

CaptainRick911 Newbie

Name:
    rick hausman
    Boat:
    none
    The Picante fleet is very good actually won the Stars and Tripes tournamenet Fishing on there Cabo 32. They also have decen't tackle. If your to bring anythng bring a bait caster. A good boat to rent is the Yahoo. Ricardo is a great captain older boat but real comfortable. The Yahoo is with Pisces .They retro the boat with underwater exhaust. Good Luck..Rick

12. eknock

eknock Newbie

Name:
    eric
    Boat:
    24' shearwater
    Just fished Renegade Mike on the 10th and 12th. Top notch does not begin to describe him, crew, boat and equipment! Hard worker and not just taking you for a tourist boat ride. I would pay double the price to fish with him again!!!!

13. OMEGA

Name:
    MCS
    Boat:
    40 Cabo FB
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. The fishing in Cabo seems hot right now and hopefully it will hold. Looking forward to my trip.

14. surfinmex

surfinmex Newbie

Name:
    Mitch
    Boat:
    17 Homemade Dos Culeros
    As Fred Archer said Minervas is the goods. Freds is a great source of info and really opened our eyes in Cabo when he arrived years ago. Bertrams are the Machines to fish from.

15. Team Karma

Team Karma Newbie

Name:
    Kyle
    Boat:
    54 Sculley: Karma 3
    Can't go wrong with Picante. Personally never used Renegade Mike but I am yet to hear a single bad thing about him (which is very impressive). Picante will but much more expensive than any other company but their 32 less than a year old and the captain (Antonio "Nino" Romero) is one of the best in Cabo. Hope fishing is still red hot. We got 122 in 3 days Nov 14-16

16. Reel Obsession

Reel Obsession Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    26' Seaswirl Striper
    Yeah, good point Karma. I actually checked in with Picante while I was there, thought about booking on one as my 24' boat couldn't take the whole fam damily. Given the quote, I decided to pass. They were proud of the fact that "we're the highest cost boats out here". Justified it by saying they had new equipment etc etc, but will set you back a little more than most.

17. OMEGA

Name:
    MCS
    Boat:
    40 Cabo FB
    Went out Dec 6th to Golden Gate. Had a great day fishing. Top notch Boat and Gear. Sorry it was a private vessel. Ended the day with 12 Striped Marlin. I am officially hooked.

18. Team Karma

Team Karma Newbie

Name:
    Kyle
    Boat:
    54 Sculley: Karma 3
    What boat did you end up taking PSW?

19. extraction

extraction Member

Name:
    Thomas
    Boat:
    53' Post Sportfisher - Capt. Jaime Gonzalez Jr.
    Kyle,

He went out with the "El Rey de la Puerta"