Heading Out Tomorrow For Giant Squid

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by BradFisherman, Jan 8, 2013.

1. BradFisherman

BradFisherman Newbie

Name:
    Bradley
    Boat:
    12'
    Which landing would be my best bet tomorrow? I can't go all the way to San Diego, but all others are fine.

2. OIF VET

OIF VET Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    nope
    Newport landing, Daveys Locker or dana wharf. The first two are in newport beach and the other one is in Dana point. Do me a favor and kill all those fuckers.

3. dkd711

dkd711 Skunk Master...

Name:
    Duke
    Boat:
    "WFO SKUNK"
    Remember the full body condom.

4. fishmonskip

fishmonskip Newbie

Name:
    frank E moudy
    Boat:
    The Jewel
    remember sharp kinfe......tough to filet

5. jake3759

jake3759 Newbie

Name:
    Jake
    Boat:
    WP
    newport landing or daveys locker. the other day the patriot out of newport landing caught 700

6. CDHOLCROFT

CDHOLCROFT Newbie

Name:
    Collin Holcroft
    Boat:
    No
    Helgrens had one boat out last night and caught 750 and there only 10mins from the harbor

7. bigjsandyballs

bigjsandyballs Member

Name:
    Julio Sandoval
    Boat:
    Triumph 190 Bay
    Newport Landing.

8. vinhtran

vinhtran Member

Name:
    Vinh
    Boat:
    none
    I went out of Dana Point Tuesday night, where they were running 3 boats at full capacity. Boat was packed, but had no problems catching squid at all. The count was over 1800 squid for all three boats. I think when we were on the way back to the harbor, Davey's was on the way the way out to where we were squid fishing.

9. Tom Jr.

Tom Jr. Retired Crane Operator Local 12

Name:
    Tom Jr.
    Boat:
    yes
    Went into Newport Landing on Wednesday and took my 14-year-old grandson and 16-year-old granddaughter to go squid fishing. Had a great time but was loaded with 58 passengers including us the boat was nice and clean at that time. Capt. said that the squid were long ways away and we were going to go for longboat ride, so relax and enjoy the trip about halfway there he told us that you couldn't keep any squid that wasn't filleted so don't keep any more than you want I found out a little bit later it was $2 each to have them filleted. The captain said it was because the deceived Newport Beach is now fining the boat for any ink on the Boardwalk or city street. The only way he could let anybody take any squid home without being filleted would be in a cooler and you had to bring the cooler to the boat 1st and carry the squid off the boat in the cooler. Sounded fair to me he didn't want to be fined and I don't blame him. I just wanted to let everyone know to bring a cooler or bring lots of money as you will catchall you can stand squid. It was a lot of fun for me to watch my grandkids and I helped the kids next to me, as they had never been squid fishing either. I used to squid fish on the boats I fished out of San Diego before they changed the laws in Mexico that we can't keep squid. The worst part of the whole trip was waiting for them to finish cleaning the squid before we could go in because it got real cold with the wind and being soaking wet from the squid. I'm sure the boat had way more squid than what they posted but that was close enough. I brought 30 pound test up to about 80 pound the could have got away with the 30 pound set up on all of them for the size of squid we were catching. Next time if the squid are in Dana point I will fish out of Dana point instead. I should've known better right now the squid seem to be from Dana point back towards Mexico good luck and Have Fun Tom Jr.

10. Fresh To Salt

Fresh To Salt Newbie

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    NA
    Go to Helgrens. Thats where myself and three friends went out of on Monday night and all four of us were exhausted from pulling in so many squid! It didnt help that two of the guys with us ended up puking their brains out over the rail but they sucked it up and kept reeling in those 5 pound inkys. I caught 30 in about an hour and a half and stopped after that. I was exhausted from cranking them up! We caught them from 110' all the way up to 5' from the surface! We were never move than a mile from shore and the crew was on top of everything considering they were running around the deck of the boat picking up all the squid and bagging them up for us!

11. Fresh To Salt

Fresh To Salt Newbie

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    NA
    Oh ya, and there were only 28 people on the boat! There was alot more room than when we go out of Dana Wharf. I do love Dana but the space was awesome out of Helgrens. Just food for thought!