Headed to Loreto May 11-15

centralcal

Jul 27, 2008
San Luis Obispo/CA/USA
Name
Frank
Boat
18ft, invader, reefrunner
Hey everyone! Headed down to Loreto May 11th, and wondering if I should bring my own gear? I'll find a captain once I'm down there, but need to know if I should being my own gear or if they will provide it? Any advice is appreciated!

Terryw

Capitan
Apr 7, 2012
San Diego/ca/usa
Name
Terry
Boat
42 Henriques
Most pangas will have gear. Quality of the gear can vary. Pretty easy to throw a few nice reels into your checked bag. You can't carry on reels with line on them.

Should be nice that time.

Reactions: Heatmaster75
Upvote 0

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
won't b mine
Just got back. Took my reels and X-Raps. Didn't need the X-Raps bc they're big on trolling live bait. Your choice, tho. I will suggest taking a few Sabikis, and maybe plan on leaving a couple. (Cheap to us here.) As already said, reels and hooks of any kind go in check-in bags. Recommend (if leaving out of Tijuana), have those bags wrapped with that blue plastic wrapping in the terminal. Cost is $300/Mex, but gives you peace of mind.

I posted a recommendation for a panga Owner & Captain (Paco). You can set up your pangero before getting there by text. You will love Loreto. I did!

Upvote 0

Heatmaster75

That was fast....
Jul 20, 2019
Western Montana
Name
Rather Be Fishing
Boat
Harbercraft
I am sitting here at the pool in Loreto, enjoying a michelada. Not fishing today because of a pretty serious North wind. Got blown off yesterday shortly after making bait.Tomorrow not looking good either. The Yellowtail have been on the north east side of Carmen, slightly sporty ride home with the north winds.

I brought a couple Okuma nomad 20-40# travel rods, one conventional, one spinner. An Avet MXJ Raptor with 50# braid 30# top, and a penn Battle 2 8000 with 50# braid. Brought 20 ishyo-yos, surface irons, hooks. The Panga's are primarily fishing slow trolled macks with a 10 oz weight right now. Some days it produces, some days not so well. YT are not really active on the surface at the moment, but they had been up until the moon got full a few days ago. Lots of sardines around. Water temp around 70 depending where you're at.
If I was coming back in two weeks, I would bring 2-3 irons blue/white, scrambled egg, a couple snipers. Leader from 20-60. Pakage of hooks 1 or 2/0 fly liners, pakage of 4/0 circles. A few rapalas maybe if I was going to try for inshore critters.

My MXJ and 7' travel rod performed great for the Yellowtail we caught, several in the 30# ish class. These travel rods are not great for casting iron, but it worked for the small amount of casting I did this trip. If you just brought a couple reels with you, they could probably find you a rod to mount them to. A couple of micro squid #2 sabiki rigs is a good idea too.

They will try to focus on the bait fishing, and I would definitely make arrangements with a panga before you get here. Lots of recommendations on this section of the forum. We fished with one of Pancho Barracuda's team, Jose on the Jazive. He was great once we got to know him a little. We basically just followed Pancho around and did pretty good, other then a slow first day. It's still fishing... good days or slow days. Great place!

Have a good trip. Hopefully the wind calms down a little by then.

Last edited:

Heatmaster75

That was fast....
Jul 20, 2019
Western Montana
Name
Rather Be Fishing
Boat
Harbercraft
FYI, I was talking to a guy while standing in line waiting for customs and I was commenting about all the 8' travel tubes in the luggage. He said as long as you declare it as sporting items to Alaska they let you bring the 8 footers. I just put my two travel rods and reels in my checked bag, but it's good to know I could bring better sticks.

Upvote 0

PhatAir4Me

Quit Wishing, Go Fishing.
Oct 30, 2011
Bend, Oregon USA
Name
JP
Boat
"Skool Bus" - 2004 Calabria ProV I
FYI, I was talking to a guy while standing in line waiting for customs and I was commenting about all the 8' travel tubes in the luggage. He said as long as you declare it as sporting items to Alaska they let you bring the 8 footers. I just put my two travel rods and reels in my checked bag, but it's good to know I could bring better sticks.
Alaska is awesome, they allow one rod case and one "tackle box" as one piece of checked luggage so I stuff a soft sided cooler with all my tackle and sundry items, slay the fish, vac pac and freeze and put in the soft sided cooler and pack all my tackle in a sturdy box (start looking early when you get there) wrapped in duct tape and head home. Had a scare once when my box of tackle didnt make it to the carousel (delivered to my house next day) and now I take pics of all my stuff in the event of a claim.

Heatmaster75
Heatmaster75
Sounds like you have it down to a science! I am getting better every trip. Now if I could only control the dang wind!
Upvote 0
Upvote 0