HDS 7 Question

Discussion in 'Boat Electronics' started by whammy, Aug 2, 2015.

1. whammy

whammy Hook Up!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    2200 XL Pathfinder
    Having some issues with my Lowrance HDS7 Touch screen finder. Took it offshore today and could not read anything on the meter. I set the settings from 0-120ft on 50kHz. We ran over a huge pod of dolphin and had dorado under the boat as well off a kelp but all I saw was a blank screen. When we came back inshore you could read everything. Not sure if my settings are off. Any help would be awesome.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  2. irob2

irob2 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    robert
    Boat:
    REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
    Try changing your setting to deep water vs general use

3. mmonti

mmonti Newbie

Name:
    mmonti
    Boat:
    Edgewater
    There was a link to a video posted about 2 weeks ago that helped me fine tune mine, was having the same issue, the biggest improvement I seen was when i changed it from saltwater to feshwater. Dont know why or how it helped but it did.

Also play with the noise rejection and surface clarity settings to your liking. I keep my scroll speed to 3x and my ping to max. I see arches now.

The angle of the transducer plays a huge role too. If it doesnt get its return signal back cause its skewed the wrong way you will see nothing. I know everyone says use 50khz in deep water but if your only looking at the top 200-300 feet then use the 200khz option, the beamwidth is wider. I will keep a split screen most of the time, at 50khz the beamwidth of my p66 is 58ft, but at 200khz its 249 ft wide. You will see more of the water column

Check this out, its a cool tool, i cant find the link to the lowrance one, this is the simrad version, its exactly the same thing http://www.simrad-yachting.com/transducerguide/

I also bought a p66 transducer when i got this not the standard lowrance they seemed more suited to inshore than what i was looking for, not sure if thats right but its what i was reading when doing the research I had a furuno with the p66 and it worked great until it started giving me internal temp issues. Which is why i went with the p66 seemed the best choice at the time. Now its time for 1kw chirp, but they are spendy!!

Hopefully someone one with more experience adds their 2cents cause I'm not an expert just know whats worked for me. Im sure mine can be tuned further. Ill find that youtube video and get the link up here too

4. mmonti

mmonti Newbie

Name:
    mmonti
    Boat:
    Edgewater
  5. whammy

whammy Hook Up!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    2200 XL Pathfinder
    Thanks guys, time to mess with my electronics

6. DH10

DH10 Member

Name:
    Dave Harper
    Boat:
    17 Crestliner
    Try messing with a heavy jig under the boat to see how level your transduces is, and how it is functioning. I thought my transducer was set properly, but found that beyond 50 feet or so, my lures would disappear off of the screen on one side. I have an HDS 5, and can see the swivel above the lure at 150 feet after getting the transducer leveled properly....