Hawaiian Oyster Beds Flatten by Tourist!

Scuba Chris

• May 17, 2016
    Kapolei, HI
    Name
    Christopher Takahashi
    Boat
    Christina Ann
    This Species is ONLY Known From Hawaii & is Slowly Disappearing!

When i'm fishing on Oahu i watch private eco tours taking tourist out to snap pics of sea turtles to monk seals. But in doing so these tours are destroying massive beds of bivalves that are only found in Hawaiian waters. This area was once covered all over by mussels & oysters years ago, Hawaiian endemic species. Now they're virtually extinct in certain locations.

It's a shame that these eco tours show our turtles & seals to our visitors but they're stepping on & crushing other indigenous Hawaiian marine life to view them. I've watched them for years doing this. This area was once fully covered with living oysters & mussels. Now it's under 5% for oysters and no mussels. I also noticed a drop in marine life that needs these bivalves to eat to survive.

• Sad
    Reactions: Warlord
    Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
    Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    Your title is a bit misleading . It sounds like your LOCAl tours are to blame . You could just ban tourists from your islands . See how that works out for the local economy .

Reactions: evilkhemist
    Upvote 0

calbrewguy

Jul 12, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Randy
    Boat
    None
    This Species is ONLY Known From Hawaii & is Slowly Disappearing!

When i'm fishing on Oahu i watch private eco tours taking tourist out to snap pics of sea turtles to monk seals. But in doing so these tours are destroying massive beds of bivalves that are only found in Hawaiian waters. This area was once covered all over by mussels & oysters years ago, Hawaiian endemic species. Now they're virtually extinct in certain locations.

It's a shame that these eco tours show our turtles & seals to our visitors but they're stepping on & crushing other indigenous Hawaiian marine life to view them. I've watched them for years doing this. This area was once fully covered with living oysters & mussels. Now it's under 5% for oysters and no mussels. I also noticed a drop in marine life that needs these bivalves to eat to survive.

Shouldn't the Hawaiian tour operators know better? Why do they let their clients tromp all over the beds?

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Very sad.

Upvote 0

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    Write your politicians. The Dems are allegedly for the environment.

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Where is the respect, for someone elses fishery?

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Fake news. Title says "oyster" but they are mussels. We have plenty of mussels here that we can ship to Hawaii if you need them.

Upvote 0

Scuba Chris

• May 17, 2016
    Kapolei, HI
    Name
    Christopher Takahashi
    Boat
    Christina Ann
    Fake news. Title says "oyster" but they are mussels. We have plenty of mussels here that we can ship to Hawaii if you need them.
    It is an endemic species of Purse Oyster that is only found in Hawaii & nowhere else. Shoreline development, pollution, re-zoning is destroying certain native species like the Achatinella. Forever.

Reactions: dsl
    Upvote 0