Hawaii Kai Ramp Closure

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by C Craft 23, Jan 11, 2019.

1. C Craft 23

C Craft 23 Newbie

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    SeaCraft 23 WA
    So has anyone launched at the Hawaii Kai ramp since the problem with the pier. If you want to tie up to it is there actually anybody that will stop you? I can see launching without tying up but drive-on retrieval is a little scary and it takes me a minute to go get the trailer anyway.

2. Holoholo808

Holoholo808 Feed fish/burn gas and occasionally catch dinner

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    17’ Arima Sea Chaser
    The tires on the small side are only suspended off of ropes so they can swing/slide along the wall. They’re okay if you have someone holding onto the dock lines but I wouldn’t trust them for leaving the boat unattended for any length of time; there also isn’t any place to tie off that I could recall but someone may have installed a temporary cleat by now.

We didn’t see any DLNR trucks when we returned from a half day but you never know. You might be able to beach/anchor on the sand mound to the side of the large ramp; that’s where some guys have been picking up/dropping off their drivers...

We usually don’t power load but I told my partner we’ll use the HK dock situation as an excuse to practice for Waianae :p

I’m sure some of the guys who run solo out of HK will have more useful input.

3. C Craft 23

C Craft 23 Newbie

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    SeaCraft 23 WA
    That drive-on loading or power-loading has always freaked me out. We have a low cockpit so maybe its a little easier if the boat has a higher helm location so you can look down and see the bow lining up with the trailer a little better. I don't think we can even see the trailer once we get within ten feet of it, I guess we'd have to line up with the back of the truck.

4. kenai

kenai Newbie

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    25 Davis Bahia -- All In
    Launched there this past Sunday. DNLR had two trucks there around 5:30 am making sure nobody used the dock. You had to idle in slow to the above mentioned tires hanging from ropes in order to pick up your buddy. Definitely would not tie up to the ropes holding the tires by the rocks.

5. Windward808

Windward808 Newbie

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Yellowfin
    How about DLNR spend their resources fixing the dock rather than busting the boater. Just saying.

6. blaskpa

blaskpa FAMOUS GROUSE

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    FamousGrouse
    Launched last Sat. Wind was down which really helps there. Nobody stopping us from using dock on launch or recovery. Very manageable but the tires on the seawall looked sketchy to me. Sounds like that might have been my one unharrassed attempt. BTW BO bouy was floating toward banks about 15 miles out. Happy fishing.

7. Da rabbit

Da rabbit Newbie

Name:
    Da rabbit
    Boat:
    Force
    Windward808,
    They too busy sitting in their truck with AC on doing shit! Always see em at Maunalua Bay the whole day jus sitting in da truck. I dunno WTF they doing

8. blaskpa

blaskpa FAMOUS GROUSE

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    FamousGrouse
    I have not seen any updates on when repairs are anticipated. Does anyone have any info on this?