Have you have actually caught a Bluefin Tuna over 100lbs?

CI_SeaWolf

• Feb 13, 2006
    Camarillo, CA
    Name
    Tom Farrell
    Boat Name
    Wellcraft 22' W/A
    This is mine from last week, 158 pounds, gilled, bled, and gutted. I gassed out during the fight… these fish are mean

9A05F8DC-2E38-4E15-B973-F4F50E650261.jpeg

Upvote 0

gernsey

May 5, 2004
    Puerto Vallarta Mexico and Channel Islands Ca.
    Name
    Matt Gerns
    Boat Name
    21' Anderson Greenuogh "Liv alittle"
    please share if you have, and when where and on what you caught it as I bet many would be interested in reading about it.

By the way, I’ve been on four 1.5 day or longer fishing trips out of San Diego so far this year, and no one on any of the boats during a trip I’ve been on has caught a fish larger than 60lbs. On two of the trips we quickly caught boat limits of bluefin the first night, but no fish over 60lbs.

Good boats and overall fun trips, but it almost seems like the claims of people catching triple digit fish are an internet hoax considering that when I’ve been on four actual real life trips, with over 100 fellow anglers over the course of these four trips, and no-one I’ve seen with my own eyes actually catching a fish bigger than 60lbs.

And it’s not like the big fish are getting away, I've never seen anyone get spooled, and a lot of the fellow anglers have good heavy $$$ gear like Penn 16 VISX or similar.

So what’s the ”secret” to getting a big fish as opposed to the not so big ones? just being lucky? how common is it to actually catch a triple digit bluefin?

Is it just that a few big fish caught that are then talked about and posted about so much that it gave me the impression catching a big tuna was more common than it actually is? Or have I just been unlucky to have not even caught a glimpse of a big tuna on four different trips?

Edit, I’ve been on one 1.5 day, one extended 1.5 day, one 2.5 day, and one 3 day so far.
    Here are a few of the nicer ones I have landed in local waters.

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0790.jpeg

IMG_0423.JPG

Upvote 0

hot tuna

May 7, 2007
    Tahoe
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    clawfoot tub
    Like others have posted, Bluefin fishing can be very unpredictable. Sure the night time jig bite can be the equalizer when they drop their guard. Daytime fishing can be hit or miss on weighted bait or casting jigs as they go lock jaw.

Once they start keying in on the flyers the daytime kite flying can reward with the bigger models. Seems like that season starts around the end of June but no guarantees.
    For that reason, we have gone with chartering small 6 pack or 4 pack trips for opportunity.
    Big fish happen!
    9D0FED7E-C3C0-4D08-B004-49C2CBF7905C.jpeg
    E6192D1A-B99A-4399-B5CE-88DC0B66524E.jpeg

7/1/21
    Invader
    California Flyer
    Clemente trench
    My lady got the bigger fish

Reactions: kbray001
    Upvote 0

escorounder

May 27, 2021
    San Diego CA
    Name
    kellen bryant
    170# June 6th 2.5 day on the Top Gun 80
    Penn visx12/custom uc centaur
    80# depth hunter with 80# bob sands 25' flouro wind on
    250g bridled shimano kp ff with 13/0 ringed L2004
    20 min fight started at the bow, when I got to the stern I dropped to a knee and put the wood to him. Trust your gear, trust your connections and dont be afraid to pull. Be prepared with heavy gear, if you dont have it, rent it.
    DEC6A46C-3157-494D-8567-E0DEDB48CE64.JPG

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat Name
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    Um, no. Will there be anything else?

Upvote 0

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
    May 31, 2003
    Poway redneck
    www.wedigscripps.com
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    23' Maritime Patriot
    Reactions: Zika
    Upvote 0

lowprofile

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 11, 2011
    Oceanside
    Name
    chris
    Boat Name
    15 ft Saturn inflatable
    I think admin should just kill this post - a whole lot of us have got them. It’s turned into a slideshow. All good. 🤙
    It’s entertainment.
    They should pin a few threads for the 100, 150, 200, 250 and 300lb tuna pics and the posters can choose weather or not to give info. Something to keep the place alive with more than “where were you?” Posts

Reactions: KID CREOLE
    Upvote 0

gutshotaz

May 9, 2022
    Arizona
    Name
    Arthur Gussman
    Boat Name
    Porta Bote
    please share if you have, and when where and on what you caught it as I bet many would be interested in reading about it.

By the way, I’ve been on four 1.5 day or longer fishing trips out of San Diego so far this year, and no one on any of the boats during a trip I’ve been on has caught a fish larger than 60lbs. On two of the trips we quickly caught boat limits of bluefin the first night, but no fish over 60lbs.

Good boats and overall fun trips, but it almost seems like the claims of people catching triple digit fish are an internet hoax considering that when I’ve been on four actual real life trips, with over 100 fellow anglers over the course of these four trips, and no-one I’ve seen with my own eyes actually catching a fish bigger than 60lbs.

And it’s not like the big fish are getting away, I've never seen anyone get spooled, and a lot of the fellow anglers have good heavy $$$ gear like Penn 16 VISX or similar.

So what’s the ”secret” to getting a big fish as opposed to the not so big ones? just being lucky? how common is it to actually catch a triple digit bluefin?

Is it just that a few big fish caught that are then talked about and posted about so much that it gave me the impression catching a big tuna was more common than it actually is? Or have I just been unlucky to have not even caught a glimpse of a big tuna on four different trips?

Edit, I’ve been on one 1.5 day, one extended 1.5 day, one 2.5 day, and one 3 day so far.
    I caught my very first BFT, gut and gilled at 87.5. Should be close to 100lb, if not just above, when fresh on board. On 1.5 day T-Bird. Only fish landed though. See my post and video of the story.

Reactions: Deadlift500
    Upvote 0
    Jun 19, 2006
    utah
    Name
    doug
    Boat Name
    38ft. fantasea
    Last year 2 - 120 lb caught on the Polaris supreme. 1-190 lb on the outrider! Three weeks ago handed two over 100 lbs to my grandson , after that he said he did not want anymore hand offs and hooked and landed this 170 lb on his own ! Boat was the outrider 2 1/2 dayer . Last year when I marked my line every 100 ft really helped my catch rate !!

501E4BD2-0625-4E87-B0C7-F6C599741FCD.jpeg

9FD46824-0433-4B1E-BA99-FE1C9457F162.jpeg

Upvote 0