Have you have actually caught a Bluefin Tuna over 100lbs?

Deadlift500

• Jan 12, 2022
    USA
    Name
    d
    Boat Name
    kayak
    please share if you have, and when where and on what you caught it as I bet many would be interested in reading about it.

By the way, I’ve been on four 1.5 day or longer fishing trips out of San Diego so far this year, and no one on any of the boats during a trip I’ve been on has caught a fish larger than 60lbs. On two of the trips we quickly caught boat limits of bluefin the first night, but no fish over 60lbs.

Good boats and overall fun trips, but it almost seems like the claims of people catching triple digit fish are an internet hoax considering that when I’ve been on four actual real life trips, with over 100 fellow anglers over the course of these four trips, and no-one I’ve seen with my own eyes actually catching a fish bigger than 60lbs.

And it’s not like the big fish are getting away, I've never seen anyone get spooled, and a lot of the fellow anglers have good heavy $$$ gear like Penn 16 VISX or similar.

So what’s the ”secret” to getting a big fish as opposed to the not so big ones? just being lucky? how common is it to actually catch a triple digit bluefin?

Is it just that a few big fish caught that are then talked about and posted about so much that it gave me the impression catching a big tuna was more common than it actually is? Or have I just been unlucky to have not even caught a glimpse of a big tuna on four different trips?

Edit, I’ve been on one 1.5 day, one extended 1.5 day, one 2.5 day, and one 3 day so far.

Last edited:

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat Name
    sunk it
    Want a big one? At times there’s bigger ones hanging a couple hundred feet down below the school. Ask the skipper if he’s seeing any deep when on a school. Use heavy gear and a sinker rig
    Plan b. Go on longer trips on better boats that fly kites

dalurker

old skool rules
    Dec 23, 2004
    Cyber Sea
    Name
    #%^&) !!!
    Boat Name
    my blood vessel
    mine was thiiiiiiiis beeg! whuuat? you callin 'me a liar?

gorilla.gif

i just had ta...

Upvote 0

Eye Problem

If 1st you dont succeed, failure may be your style
    Mar 26, 2003
    Lake Forest
    bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Greg
    Boat Name
    AHOAGAIN
    Yes you have been unlucky. I caught back to back 150+ last year on consecutive drops, 420 gm knife jigs in OCT. It's a matter of timing and opportunity. They're bluefin, very unpredictable. Many have caught the prize, many haven't broken the 30lb barrier. Many haven't caught one at all. Ask the same question about yellowfin and the answer will be entirely different.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Phishy Phil

Jun 15, 2019
    SoCal
    Name
    Phil
    Boat Name
    Vagbond
    I have been going out since 2019, 1.5 to 10 day trips. I have caught over a half dozen BFT over 100 pounds, including two 150's on the same trip and a PB of 168. Go on longer trips on top boats and take advantage of the kite.

Upvote 0

4tunate

Almost A Member
  • Sep 26, 2021
    Reno, NV
    Name
    Brent
    Boat Name
    LowKeys
    LOL, well sheeeeeet... Lemme see, it's MAY and you fished four 1.5 day day boats and not a single triple digit fish yet??? Try a 3 day trip where you get a couple nights of jig fishing.

OR... try booking later in the year. It's May FFS. I am booked for 24 days of fishing this year, starting in August. The big boys have tended to show in the later part of the year, or fish deeper under the schoolies as Swami said. Your post seems akin to bringing a banana on a boat - are you seriously questioning how amazing the BFT fishery is these days??!!

Upvote 0

Deadlift500

• Jan 12, 2022
    USA
    Name
    d
    Boat Name
    kayak
    LOL, well sheeeeeet... Lemme see, it's MAY and you fished four 1.5 day day boats and not a single triple digit fish yet??? Try a 3 day trip where you get a couple nights of jig fishing.

OR... try booking later in the year. It's May FFS. I am booked for 24 days of fishing this year, starting in August. The big boys have tended to show in the later part of the year, or fish deeper under the schoolies as Swami said. Your post seems akin to bringing a banana on a boat - are you seriously questioning how amazing the BFT fishery is these days??!!
    I edited my post to add that of the four trips I’ve been on this year, I’ve been on one 1.5 day, one extended 1.5 day, one 2.5 day, and one 3 day so far.

note that even the ”jjackpot fish” on my 3 day was under 60lbs

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat Name
    African Queen
    I have been going out since 2019, 1.5 to 10 day trips. I have caught over a half dozen BFT over 100 pounds, including two 150's on the same trip and a PB of 168. Go on longer trips on top boats and take advantage of the kite.
    Was that 168 the one you brought in hot, and when Adam or Fluffy first gaffed it, it ripped the gaff out of their hands? Funniest thing I ever saw, that big bluefin thrashing on the surface, still attached to your line, with a gaff sticking out of its head!

Upvote 0

JohnnyK87137

JohnnyK87137
  • Sep 25, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Name
    JOHN
    Boat Name
    2019 Parker 2520XLD
    Yummy flyer , frozen flyer , ca flyer , colt sniper 100G in green , tady 45 on a ten footer. Still looking for one on the popper, stick bait, sinker rig , flat fall and knife jig. And still looking for plus 200#

Reactions: Rabid Fish
    Upvote 0

Sailing La Reina

Almost A Member
    Apr 10, 2019
    San Pedro, CA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat Name
    La Reina
    I caught a few:
    • Dec. 2020 on the Indy: 218 lb. bluefin on a sinker rig: Rail rod, HXW, 100 lb. spectra, 100 lb. mono, 80 lb. fluoro, 2/0 Mutu circle hook.
    • Dec. 2020 on the Indy: 160 lb. bluefin on a sinker rig: Rail rod, HXW, 100 lb. spectra, 100 lb. mono, 80 lb. fluoro, 2/0 Mutu circle hook. Nearly spooled me.
    • Dec. 2020 on the Indy: 148 lb. bluefin on a sinker rig: Rail rod, HXW, 100 lb. spectra, 100 lb. mono, 80 lb. fluoro, 2/0 Mutu circle hook.
    • May 2021 on the Excel: 125 lb. bluefin on a sinker rig: Rail rod, HXW, 100 lb. spectra, 100 lb. mono, 80 lb. fluoro, 2/0 Mutu circle hook.
    • June 2021 on the Royal Star: 200 lb. bluefin on a 300 gm. Daiwa SK jig at night: Rail rod, HXW, 100 lb. spectra, 200 lb. fluoro leader.
    I put in over 15 days and 15 nights of fishing during that period. Lost a few big ones too. My avatar is the 218.
    B1580AAE-6666-43B9-9D6F-F4BFC3C4F9E6.jpeg

Upvote 0

Low N Slow

Senior Chief
  • Sep 4, 2016
    Temecula
    Name
    Shawn
    Boat Name
    Sold - so I make a great ho now
    I'm 1 for 3 on BFT that I've hooked... and the 1 was a 17 pound baby trolling the Nados. The other 2 were fought and lost.

I got to see one of them 3 times... and I also got to see him shake my jig out of his mouth and slowly swim away.

I hate Bluefin tuna.

Upvote 0

birdie800

ReelBigFish
    Jul 11, 2009
    LA County
    Name
    Chay
    Boat Name
    N/A
    I got a 150# BFT on an Intrepid 3 day trip back in May 2019 on 40# flyline setup. I got a 100# BFT on a recent 3 day trip on the Intrepid with the same 40# setup but using a sinker rig. Biggest fish on that trip was 241# caught on a sinker rig.

Upvote 0

Rocket Dog

Tagging and Bagging
    Mar 2, 2010
    SoCal
    Name
    Rocket Dog
    Boat Name
    passenger again
    Last year, after almost a 4 yr hiatus and I went in the fall and got my first ever BFT. October 1st to be exact on the Top Gun 85 2.5day trip. The fall is when the big fish are "normally around", spring, and summer is luck of the draw. My BFT was 148lbs at about 8-9pm on the first night of the trip. I used a no-name 7ft composite rod (no markings whatsoever) that I bought off the BD boards, a Tiburon SST 16 load to the brim with 100lbd solid spectra that I marked as I dropped down, and guess where 100 and 250 feet might have been, I used a 320gram kind flat fall/cigar shape jig that I bought for SPJ. The rigging on the jig was done by Johnny's Sport Shop in Pasadena using owner split rings to barrel swivels and an owner offshore 8 on top and a 10 at the bottom with a 4ft 200lbs mono leader.

I just dropped into or passed the zone several times. The rod loaded up as I was winding up and that was it. The rod loaded up and I was hooked up and just kept girding. The crew didn't help because there were others hooked up and the kite got hit as well..... It was fire and within the hour, 4 beasts came over the rail. the largest was 245lbs. Most guys that worked all night were rewarded with limits of +100lbs BFT.

As a note to the above. I, like many here, have been on my share of BFT cruises where no one hooked up, donuts for all. I am grateful for getting mine, but fishing is finicky and I just enjoy putting in the time and getting to go on the adventure. the rest is a bounes.

BFT 148 10.02.21.jpg

Upvote 0

ChoeMan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 28, 2007
    OC
    Name
    ChoeMan
    Boat Name
    Never
    yes on the PQ on a 3 day trip on the squishy jig 195lbs not a trophy hunter so waiting for Nados Yellows to go off

Reactions: kbray001
    Upvote 0

kuyamonster

I only wishes to catch some fishes...
    May 14, 2009
    San Diego/Tacoma USA
    Name
    Marcel
    Boat Name
    Limited load cattle car
    Marcel 2~2.jpgIMG_20200704_173721.jpgIMG_20200704_135637.jpg
    Bagged a few fish over the last two seasons but that's only because I decided to specifically target them on open party boats or limited load private charters, starting in 2019. I realized these fish were sticking around for a bit since their food wasn't going anywhere, might as well give it a shot. Definitely unprecedented in my lifetime and the old salts will tell you the same thing, as I fish only a handful of open party boats I'm loyal to out of SD. I no longer do trips more than 2 days, I prefer flying down 3-4 times each season and booking multiple shorter trips. If you head out often enough, you'll find a majority of your YFT and BFT tuna brought over the rail will be football size up to 50-60 lbs grade. (educated guess for me is that I'm at a 4-1 ratio, school size vs bigger grade) I find that once they get to be 75-100+ or more, it's a different challenge to your game. Religiously put in your rail time, prepare your gear and mindset, because these large BFT will humble you in a heartbeat. The bigger ones will make short work of an inferior hook/knot or connection, school you the hard way if your reels are not serviced or your drag's not set properly, or just physically toast you for using the wrong rod and reel combination. (When you were forewarned by every captain and close angling friend, not to drop in with that rig!) Not to mention chew offs, occasional pulled hook, tangles with "that guy"' etc. 😂 The 140 lb'er was caught June 2021 on Ping's boat, Alicia Sportfishing out of H&M Landing. The 171 and change (gilled/gutted at 5 Star), was caught on the New Lo-An, July 2021. Custom Thrasher Rods TRMF-76H/Metaloid 12ii and spiral wrapped Thrasher CrowBar railrod/Andros 16ii, respectively. Both on 6 & 8 ounce sinker rig, 50/80 flouro leader with the sexiest sardine in the well, pinned to a Hayabusa #1 or 1/0 circle hook, Springer and SD jam knots, FG for leaders. (65 and 80 braid filled at SquidCo) Haven't officially caught a "Cow" yet and no real desire to. (Deckhands Ben and Sean on the NLA used the length/girth formula on the 171 and that fish came in just under?) No biggie, I'm kind of over it now and yes, we're definitely spoiled with this local BFT fishery ever since it emerged in late 2015/2016. I actually get more enjoyment taking newbies, financially challenged anglers and retired/active duty veterans out on fishing charters in order to catch school sized pelagics. (Which I'll get back on since COVID threw a wrench in all kinds of opportunities) 🤔 Personally my favorite angling moment is hanging a 20-25+ lb yellowtail on an artificial, although nailing a solid YFT on the popper is always a close 2nd! So you should really book and get on that 5th trip this year, you're overdue for a triple digit BFT! Go get you some while the getting is better than good right now...😁

CHECK your knots, WIND in your face, TIGHT lines and FOLLOW your fish! 🐟

Last edited:
    Upvote 0