Have the tides turned on coffee grinders?

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
Shimano 4500 baitrunner... If you know, you know. :food-smil

Reactions: kbray001
Upvote 0

Xue

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Xue
Boat
None
I took my almost 11 year old on a rock fish trip recently and I think a 6'6" with a size 20 levelwind would be best suited for someone that age and learning curve. A spinning outfit I don't think would have been the best, as it looks like you would actually need more effort working on the rail. We didn't have spinners but I had him initially use a fathom 25N star/8' Teremar combo (my jig setup) and it was a big too big for him. I handed him a 6'6" Tallus/saltist 20 combo and it was much more easier for him to control. A levelwind would have made it better as he wouldn't have had to worry about line lay. Short butt, small levelwind on a stiffer rod is what I'm looking to get for him from this experience. We had rough seas too on that trip so everything was magnified and I could see what would have been better.

Upvote 0

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
Use whatever you're comfortable with. Spinning reels technology has come a long way since I was a kid. They're more than capable of handling our fishery. With that said...the West Coast partyboat fisherman in me will always think WTF whenever I encounter 'seasoned' fishermen on boats using spinning gears for surface iron.

• Haha
Reactions: cortezpirasea
Upvote 0

Noms

Dirty taco maker
  • Aug 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Angel
    Boat
    15 foot tin can
    If the 3/4th day is targeting rockfish get them a short rod with a levelwind. In San Diego even a cardiff 400 or something won't have a problem with 8oz of lead. If the boat also does some live bait fishing then just use a 15-20lb line set up spinner. Might lose a few fish to the kelp but it sure is easy to cast a sardine. I use my bay bass gear for calicos sometimes. Or even a spinner slow pitch set up for shallow water. Sure does a good job at pissing off certain folks.

Upvote 0