marlyn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
Zip-ties and spare underwear for when your buddy pukes so hard he shits his pants. barf
I dont even want to know what the zip ties are for...

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
well Kurt you didn't list one of the most important things... unfortunately you can't buy it either... good common sense. sounds like a joke I know, but using this would eliminate about 90 percent of the problems people have on the water.

longbordz

May 3, 2008
Dana Point, CA
Name
David
Boat
farallon
Zip ties were the hero in a recent publication. A prop shaft log failed and the boater wrapped a plastic bag around the hose several times then secured the plastic with zip ties. It reduced the inflow enough that the bilge pump easily kept up with it .
Another great item is the silicon rubber tape sold at boat shows. It can be wrapped around a ruptured hose or bellows in an emergency, and it takes up minimal space.

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Zip ties were the hero in a recent publication. A prop shaft log failed and the boater wrapped a plastic bag around the hose several times then secured the plastic with zip ties. It reduced the inflow enough that the bilge pump easily kept up with it .
Another great item is the silicon rubber tape sold at boat shows. It can be wrapped around a ruptured hose or bellows in an emergency, and it takes up minimal space.
I saw that! You can fix most ruptured hoses with an al can too. You just cut off the top, bottom and hose clamp it to the ruptured hose. Use tape to finish sealing it off and you will be able to limp back in.

Reactions: marlyn

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Sunscreen and a spare pair of sunglasses ! Great list!

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Gonna need a bigger boat :D

Boat Hook? Boat hooks are gay, the only thing i've ever used a boat hook for was to fish-out another boat hook that I found floating in the water, just sayin' :D
Only time my boat hook gets used is for grabbing lobster net ropes

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
Rubbers you forgot rubbers..Always wear a rubber.... safety first !

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
I dont even want to know what the zip ties are for...
Saw the zip tie used for a cock ring once... just once. Yeah bring lots of booze, that way it won't matter if you have everything on the list or not... makes about as much sense as using that zip tie for a cock ring.

If you didn't get that, it went over your head, or you can't leave the booze and the drugs at home... it just means your too stupid to be on the water in the first place

Reactions: aussiefisho

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Lots of good suggestions. Along the lines of the "common sense" suggestion, I would add experience commensurate with the mission -- it's great to push your limits but only to a point. I would also add McGiver skills when it comes time to address a problem.

The suggestions of things to do every trip were all good ideas, but I must admit, I don't do everything on that list. I never check bilge pumps as part of pre-departure routine, and have never once filed a float plan. My wife will know if I am overdue, but she will have no idea (at least not within 1,000 sq miles) where to look for me. On the other hand, my AIS leaves a pretty good record of 95% of the places my boat goes. Between that and EPIRB, I think I am covered.

IMHO, one of the most important things, particularly on overnight trips, is the pre-departure speech. The essence of mine is almost 100% safety: 1) no drugs or being impaired while at the helm, 2) know where the fire extinguishers and life jackets are, 3) don't adjust electronics without specific authorization, 4) engine room check procedures, 5) standing watch procedures, 6) focus on safety with examples of how much can go wrong, from hooks to knives to falling overboard at night, etc. But there are two non-safety items A) this isn't a sport boat -- everyone must pitch in with cooking and cleaning and driving and standing watches, B) don't leave a bait net in the bait tank, C) take care of my boat: don't hit the gelcoat with sinkers or jigs, don't slam hatches or bring rods (or anything else that can scratch the woodwork) inside, D) feel free to make suggestions about what our fishing plan should be, but don't feel bad if I don't take your suggestion and don't argue with me about it, and E) HAVE FUN! Maybe a thread on pre-departure speeches would be useful?

Papa "J"

May 8, 2003
OffShore
Name
Jason
Boat
Grady White 272 Sailfish
Fleshlight

JoshInSD

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 22, 2015
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
Mackerel Magnet (Sailfish 21' CC)
Something I do not think I've seen listed above is a gallon size Ziploc bag filled with a couple cups of uncooked rice. Useful for when you are in idiot and cast your rod into the water then jump in after it with your phone in your pocket. Turn the phone off and drop it in the bag of rice, that should save you. Unfortunately I did not think of this last week, so this is a recommendation after the fact

JustOneCast

Arnold
Sep 11, 2017
Newhall CA
Name
A CAST
Boat
Cabo 216 "BloodCo"
Fleshlight......
Funny

Good list to make - always helps to have some sort of checklist when it is 5am and you are hungover. Each persons will be different , but major safety items remain the same

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
Mar 14, 2010
San Clemente
Name
Devo
Boat
Trophy
TRIP CHECKLIST
Must Have
Wearable Life Jackets (Types I, II or III)
Throwable PFD (Type IV for boats 16’ or longer
Fire Extinguisher
Spark Arrest on Carb
Ventilation System for I/O engines
Whistle or Horn
Navigational Lights
Registration Document
Boat Number, Permanent Decal and
Validation Decals

Every TRIP
Run engine compartment fan for at least one minute.
Complete check for leaks; boat plug in
Engine starts/runs well
Propeller in good condition
Fuel tanks topped off
Bilge pump check
Weather conditions check
emergency procedures speech; life jacket count
Fishing license check
Trailer tires/axle/lights/bunk/tie down check
Properly stored and secured gear
Float plan left with responsible person
Radio check

Best Practice
Throw Rope/Bag
Signaling Mirror
Whistle (on life jacket)
Light/Strobe (on life jacket)
Rescue Blanket
Extra Warm Hats, Mittens, Socks
Emergency Position-Indicating Radio
Beacon (EPIRB)
Matches (in a waterproof container), Lighter
Water Purification Tablets, Filter or Purifier
Flare gun
Kicker
Emergency Food and Water
Dry Bag(s)
Sunglasses
Sun Screen
Hat
Food
Water
Cooler
Warm Clothes
Seat Cushion(s)
Drysuit or Wetsuit & Boots
Binoculars
Secondary bilge or bucket
Anchor and Line
Mooring Lines
Extra Lines
Toolkit or Multipurpose Tool
Navigation Equipment (maps, compass, GPS)
Extra Paddle/Oar
Spare Parts (as appropriate)
Spare Prop (motorboats)
Weather Radio
Knife
Flashlight/Spotlight (with working batteries)
Handheld radio
First Aid Kit (in watertight, floating container)
Prescription Medicine
Repair Kit/Duct Tape
Boat Hook
TP for the head

If anyone can think of more let me know

aussiefisho

Always learning to fish smarter.
May 19, 2011
South Australia, Australia
Name
Russell Iles
Boat
Sold
Life at sea can be lost in a nano second.
You can not have a replay lets do it again now that I have X or Y equipment or I NOW know how to do CPR etc. or I now include such & such that I never carried before. Hindsight is wonderful after the event or tragedy & I am well aware that you tailor your gear/equipment/safety items according to the law & where you go fishing, but overkill is better than oh shit, if only.

As an aside, but connected.
It has never happened to me, but my late brother gave his safety speech/rules when taking out some clients on his 26 footer, they were back at the marina inside half an hour as a couple could not control their 16 year old son. Dropped off, told off & pissed off. (My words, he was never as rude as me whilst dealing with idiots, but they were severely reprimanded. He lost them as clients, but my younger brother maintained he & the others on board were far more important than the kid )

Have enjoyed reading the above serious comments & I appreciate your remarks.

Last edited:

Robert Muniak

May 12, 2019
Name
Robert muniak
Boat
Trousertrout
Proper cleaning items for Fleshlight. If your goo sits in it for over a day, it turns moldy quickly. Also lube because if you dry gulch it, it will tear. Especially the anus one. A friend of mine who had one told me that. Yeah my friend.