Hauling a boat to Los Barilles

saltydoc

Oct 8, 2008
Arroyo Grande, Calif
Name
Harley Boos
Boat
25 ft Bahia Davis Boat 28ft Farallon whaleback and 19 ft North River
After 8 years of fishing out of Palmas de Cortez I have fallen in love with Los Barilles. I am in the process of buying a house just north of town across the street from Los Pescadores hotel. Plenty of room to store my 25ft Davis boat Bahia. Since I have never made the drive, I plan on making a trial run without the boat when escrow closes. I have a lot of questions. Is there a service that facilitates all the paperwork before you get to the border? How safe is the drive? Where are the safest best places to spend the night? I plan on staying on hwy 1. Is diesel readily available? I have a 2007 5.9 dually that doesn't need low sulfur diesel. How are the roads? Lastly, what is the availability of temporary slips at La Ribera marina? Thanks in advance for any advice or words of wisdom. Harley Boos aka Saltydoc.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 29, 2009
BAJA SUR
Name
DA RAT
Boat
NONE
hola saltydoc,

great choice ! i lived in los barriles for about six months at a time from 2004 until 2010 and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. launching your boat can be problematic and leaving it in the water if you have outboards is chancy at best. used to be lots of boats stolen there and up and down the coast for the outboards. don't know about now.

a friend of mine used to launch his super panga by himself north of town but i'm not sure where. otherwise, you may need the services of a skiploader in and out of the water.

may i suggest that you sign onto bajanomad.com and post your queries there as it's probably one of the best baja sites and you should get lots of responses and ideas. also, bajaponyexpress.com is a los barriles generated site.

lots of envy for you.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Reactions: MinnesotaPhats

Elige

Turns on the prop
Oct 30, 2013
Bay Area, CA/ Los Cabos, Baja California Sur
Name
Nick
Boat
27 Jupiter
Congrats! My buddy Mike handles our Baja logistics, he's brought a boat and vehicles down to San Jose for us recently. He's based out of SD and covers the full peninsula, a true wealth of knowledge. Send me a PM if you want his contact info.

surf launch

Dec 27, 2006
San Diego
Name
Rob
Boat
14 ft Livingston and 12'aluminum skiffs
You will need a TIP permit (among other paper work) for the boat, can take up to 2 weeks to get as it comes from Mexico City. Contact Discover Baja travel club tomorrow and they will take care of everything.

BTW; Safest place to keep a boat in Mexico is on a trailer behind a high wall.

Last edited:
Reactions: yellowklr

blowncar

Sep 8, 2013
Ocean Shores Washington/Mexico waters
Name
james
Boat
52' Hatteras C Lobos Del Mar
I've done this several times its not an easy trip with a boat that size but very doable if you are a careful. You can order your TIP (import permit) online with Banjercito, cost around $60 and good for 10 years. I'd cross the border around 4am and take toll road to Ensenada. Lot's of fuel on the way so no worries there. First day you could make it to Catavina, nice hotel in the dessert and safe. Next Day to Loreto plenty places to stay. 75 miles after Loreto the road gets much better. Loreto to east cape 3rd day. Its a great adventure

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
It will be a tough haul with that size of boat. You should have electric over hydraulic brake actuator, else you will smoke the brakes going down the grade to Santa Rosalia.

Hope you did your homework on the real estate down there in Los Bariles. I have seen a person lose a mansion under construction due to claim/lawsuit by an ejido.

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
What is the plan on storing that Davis?
Best have a concrete block wall bodega with bars on all windows and doors.

Seriously
Yeah theft was the reason I stopped towing a boat down to the East Cape. The source is imported laborers from the southern border areas of Mexico.

saltydoc

Oct 8, 2008
Arroyo Grande, Calif
Name
Harley Boos
Boat
Thank you for all the words of wisdom. My trailer is in the shop now. I have new tires, bearings, and electric hydrolic brakes. I will have 2 spare tires and rims. One will have have bearings and hub preinstalled. I do have an exhaust brake on my 4 wd one ton dually. The property in escrow is turnkey, 1800sq ft 3 bed, 3 bath with plenty of room for boat storage. The owner had to sell for health reasons. I really appreciate all the advice and knowledge.

saltydoc

Oct 8, 2008
Arroyo Grande, Calif
Name
Harley Boos
Boat
Yeah theft was the reason I stopped towing a boat down to the East Cape. The source is imported laborers from the southern border areas of Mexico.
Very good insight. I am across the street from Los Pescadores Hotel owned by a gringo who stores her pangas for her charter service next door. All my neighbors are gringos. the property is fenced with a locking iron gate in front and there will be a caretaker,a gringo, living in a trailer. I do plan on building a boathouse once I get established.

pura vida

Pura Vida II
Jan 29, 2005
Murrieta
Name
Gene Miller
Boat
Pura Vida II, 500 mile range
Towing in Baja can be very interesting, but if you are very comfortable towing in the US then you just need to be more cautious, and take your time, no your stopping spots, fuel spots and never drive at night..

I've towed the Baja since the 70's and put 40,000 miles into towing my 10 X 29 (sold last year) to Canada, Alaska and Baja
and yes I've towed it to some of the tougher areas: Ensenada, (easy) Turtle Bay, a real challenge, Santa Rosalia, a more challenging road with all of the switch backs, but very doable.

Give me a pm if you want my additional opinions

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
You can get TIP at the border at either Otey Mesa or Mexicali East gate it's good for 10 years
Places to stop along the way
San Quintin, Catavina, Guerrero Negro, San Ignacio, Mulege, Loreto, LaPaz
We drive to San Quintin for the night then to Guerrero Negro for the night. Then to Loreto but you can make it to LaPaz from GN in one day. Spend the night in LaPaz then You can Cruz into Los Barilles in the morning.

[email protected]

Feb 27, 2008
Dana Pt / Los Barrilles
Name
Greg
Boat
23 diaz Superpanga/20ft Blackman
I have pulled a 26 skipjack to LB plenty of times. Be sure to have extra set of springs for your trailer also. We have had to chain up our axle before after we already broke on set. I have always crossed TJ at 5;30 and cruised into Mulege before dark. If its your first time the Cactus hotel in El rosario is way easy then Mulege then LB. Have fun we will be neighbors. Greg

a7ewizard

Jun 4, 2009
SAN RAFAEL,CA USA
Name
WARREN WEISENBURG
Boat
251,PRO-LINE, WIZARD
More info:
Places I like along the way:
Don Eddie's in San Quintin. Boat and trailer friendly off the Baja 1 in a fisherman friendly cluster of hotels and charter operators. Inexpensive rooms and restaurant on site.
El Morro hotel in Santa Rosilia. Just off highway but has high walls and keeps your boat a bit more out of sight.
Probably make LB after these 2 overnights in Baja without pressing too hard.

I would get your boat to your home in LB. Then take your paperwork to the ferry terminal in La Paz. There is a customs office there and can process your TIP on the spot. Search on line but I think all you need is passport, title, FMM, registration and engine serial number. Nothing regarding trailer as best as I recall.

2 spare tires is a very good idea. Trailer rated tires are not available in Baja. My 2 yo Carlyle tires had tread separation failures and I had to trailer home on standard car tires at 35 psi.

Road lane is barely 10 feet wide most of the way. Oncoming semis that run La Paz to the border in one day. Stay alert!
Driving at night is tough. I don't like to. Plus the donkeys, horses, goats, and cows are also more of a threat.

Diesel is no problem unless after a recent hurricane.

Military check points are spaced the entire route. Closer inspections heading North vs traveling south. No firearms! No empty cartridges either; I had some empty 243s in my glove box. I had some explaining to do!

I declare and pay import duties when I bring stuff down. I figure I'd rather pay and have the receipt than maybe get shook down enroute.

Truck and trailer in top shape. The grades and switch backs and the temps will put a strain on your rig. Drivers will blind pass a slow vehicle. Stupid and really dangerous. Be prepared to hit the brakes for a stalled vehicle coming around a blind turn.

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
Talk to Harold Davis he will tell you exactly what to bring for your trailer.
Also find or hire someone another car to travel as a lead car ahead of you with walkie-talkies. Offer to pay for gas someone is always looking for a travel partner to go down..
By the having a boat there is a great way to go. I have had a boat down there with zero hassles the past 5 years!

Reactions: Elige

Mo Betta

Offshore Prop Changer
Feb 6, 2003
El Cajon
youatplay.com
Name
Frank
Boat
25' Wellcraft sportsman "Mo Betta", 14' Livingston"Caballito"
Why not launch the boat at San Felipe and fish your way down? Sounds like a great adventure! I mean if your going to be living the dream, you might as well right? Los Barriles is my favorite place in Baja, can’t imagine living there. Your going to want be friends with Greg.

Reactions: [email protected]
Feb 7, 2010
Minneapolis/Gilroy/Buena Vista
Name
J. David LeCompte
Boat
20' Triton
Hola amigo, just a couple rambling thoughts. (I too fell in love w/ E. Cape nine years ago. And after all the hotels and camping, bought a place in Buena Vista.)

DEFINITELY join Discover Baja Travel Club -- they are a huge help with everything!
The La Ribera marina seems full and expensive, but they have a ramp, and they're building a ramp at the campground between LB and BV (across from the Pemex/Oxxo).

For the drive, have your trailer ship-shape, with double back-ups.
And FUCK Hwy 1. Find your way to the 210, to 10, cross at Calexico/Mexicali. Quick and easy.
WAY easier to cross, any time of day. And Hwy 5 is much preferable. (I drove it two weeks ago).
Yes, the notorious dips/arroyos still exist, but they're mostly paved/repaired. And the stretch from Gonzaga back to Hwy 1?
Fucking epic!
It will save you time and stress, if you're into that sort of thing....

I digress.
Lotsa great ideas mentioned above.
Towing a boat, taking my route, I'd stay in Gonzaga Bay, Guerrero Negro, Mulege (Hotel Serenidad), Loreto (Hotel Oasis), from there it's 6-7 hours to Los Barriles.

Definitely, take your time driving! STAY IN YOUR COMFORT ZONE!!! Don't drive at night. Animals are especially prevalent after recent rains....
Drunken idiots are especially prevalent, jaja!

Saludos y suerte, amigo. Felicidades y bienvenidos!! - d

Reactions: bparker1225

BAJA.DESERT.RAT

Oct 29, 2009
BAJA SUR
Name
DA RAT
Boat
NONE
Hola again,

be careful watching the sides of the roads, there are usually no shoulders.

what i mean is if your tire goes over the side, you need to stop somewhere safe and check the INSIDE of the tire ( s ) to make sure they aren't scraped or damaged.

on one of my many trips to los barriles, i was following someone pulling a good size boat that the tires went over the side of the road. i was pulling a trailer and couldn't flag him down.

about a week later, i saw him at verdugos and advised him of what i saw and he said thanks and will check out the tires.

just take your time and drive safe.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Reactions: twotrack

billklaser

Lopez Bill
Dec 9, 2009
Chula Vista, California, USA; Loreto, BCS
Name
bill klaser
Boat
25' Davis "Reel Duck Too"
Salty, sounds like you have thought out a good plan for be prepared with spare parts for your trailer. I have a 25 ft Davis Pilot house boat that I keep in Loreto, however have traveled back and forth to Southern Cal many times with it. I assume your trailer is a 15k pound 3 axle Pacific Trailer? These are strong trailers and well equipped for the trip up & down baja. Mine tracks very straight and stable, which is a great benefit for this road. Just drive cautiously and smart, and enjoy your trip!

[email protected]

Feb 27, 2008
Dana Pt / Los Barrilles
Name
Greg
Boat
23 diaz Superpanga/20ft Blackman
One more thing I have had a problem with was 16.5 trailer tires! I had a hell of a time looking for one in La Paz. Billklaser made me think of it when he mentioned the Pacific trailer.

Ducks4jimm11

Feb 6, 2013
Graham/WA/USA
Name
Jim Mavity
Boat
Arima SR 19
Hola Amigo,

I don't tow to LB, but I have a casita there and have been going for almost 20 years. I didn't see whether you said your boat was outboard or I/O, but outboard theft must still be an issue mooring in LB considering local charter pangueros launch and retrieve daily. You may want to consider mooring at the manmade marina down by La Ribiera. Don't know what it costs, but it's not far from LB and beats beach launching a large boat any day.