Has anyone made a list of fishing gear you should have on your boat?

sueno

Go Fishing!
Jun 3, 2003
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
Parker 2310
Has anyone made a list of fishing gear you should have on your boat?
Thanks
Doug

matta57

hack
May 30, 2010
goleta
Name
matt
Boat
none
maybe you could be more specific with your question. what type of fishing? what type of boat?

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
If you're hooping, bring a verified gauge and a ball point pen.

sueno

Go Fishing!
Jun 3, 2003
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
Parker 2310
Those are all good things to bring on the boat especially live bait!

sueno

Go Fishing!
Jun 3, 2003
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
Parker 2310
That's good to have! Last trip I forgot my Jig box! Lucky I had some other stuff on the boat!

sueno

Go Fishing!
Jun 3, 2003
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
Parker 2310
You can say that again. On my friends boat he has every piece of fishing gear that he ever collected on his boat. It must add about 500 pounds of weight to his boat plus it's all cluttered and you never can find anything

middleofnowhere

Gopher Killer
Sep 16, 2008
Yucca Valley, CA USA
Name
Scott
Boat
Twin Vee "MamaMia"
Like Simon, I always have the following on my boat and bring additional trays out when I'm targeting something specific:
Net
Gaff
Flying gaff
Tray of bass goodies (swim baits and lead heads)
Tray of lead (12oz down to 1/4oz sliders)
Tray of hooks
Tray of iron
Tray of misc. casting spoons/buck tails
Flouro from 20-60 lb
Sabikis and tool to remove bait from hooks.
Pliers, bolt cutters, fillet knives, sharpening stone, game shears (safer to cut bait on pitching deck), buckets, ziplocks, paper towels and too much other stuff that has been rat holed in every crevice on the boat by family and friends over the years LOL

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
Only things you are prepared to lose to scumbag tweeker thieves.

What I leave onboard...

Flare kit, life preservers, first aid kit, heavy lead, paper goods and a well worn Led Zeppelin CD.

Everything else fishing and electronics related I load and unload each trip.

sueno

Go Fishing!
Jun 3, 2003
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
Parker 2310
That's a good tip. Especially when I'm considering leaving it in the water this year at the marina.

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
I like Scott's list, with two modifications: I don't have a flying gaff, and have never needed one; and I lost a bunch of hooks to rust when I put them in a nice tray, thinking it would be convenient. Hooks are kept in their little plastic packs inside the closed tackle box that I bring aboard, and after it is taken out of the pack on the boat it NEVER goes back inside, whether it catches a fish or not. And like Joe, when I had a boat I would unload damn near everything, every time.

Oh, and unless the boat is a Boston Whaler or similar absolutely unsinkable design, a nice big white cooler to cling to while everything else sinks. I think more fishermen have been rescued clinging to white coolers over the decades than all of the rafts and life preservers put together.

Reactions: 26grumpy

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
I have a system that works for me.

I leave all the tools (gaffs, pliers, gloves, etc.) on the boat all the time.

Then I load the basics, terminal tackle, leaders, weights, hooks, small selection of iron, small selection of lead, bait making stuff, 20-40# rods etc. on the boat all the time.

As the season progresses I slowly add more crap as needed. Iron, tuna lures, rod riggers, squid gear, marlin stuff, flying gaff, swordy gear, spear gun, etc.. Most of the big stuff I take home after I'm doing with that fish or season.

By the end of the year the boat is loaded with a ton of crap. When spring comes, I go through every hatch and hold and take out all non essential crap.

Then the cycle repeats....

Also, these things aren't cheap but if you have the room they are AWESOME.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/impact-zone/custom-tackle-box/

They have met my every ADD tackle whore dream and then some.

That works well for me.