Has anyone fished in Baja the Yozuri sashimi 3D squid skirt

sharky007

Apr 2, 2010
Whittier ca
Name
Roger
Boat
NONE
So I just baught this amazing lure. I read some product reviews on line of some anglers using it back east with great success, from Pelagics to White Seabass. Does anyone have any feed back using it here in the West coast or in baja or anywhere else? I am taking 4 colors to San Quintin and do a test run out there and see what hits we get. There not cheap but than again all good tackle is pricey.

Thanks again and tight lines everyone.

Check this video out

R1069_CPHP.jpg

Upvote 0
May 13, 2014
Name
Diana
Boat
24 mako
Used in Florida Keys and got a 300 pound marlin on first pass. To bad it was on lightest gear on boat , didn't last long..And we only had one lol..

Upvote 0

marcortez

No soy yo
Jul 15, 2007
loreto bcs mexico
Name
dale
Boat
Gregor
When the conditions are right, and the bait is presented as naturally as possible and your quarry are in a feeding mode....most any lure or bait will get you bit.
Color is not as important as action IMO, and in the right spots where the fish live and feed.

Some anglers swear by a particular color of lure, yet I have found that color is not nearly as critical as presenting that lure in the best possible manner, and in the best possible location known for holding fish. If your lure selection is not anywhere near feeding fish, the world's finest lure is not going to be calling them from afar to "bite me, bite me"
Location location location......that is the ticket to success offshore.

A cheap squid skirt or "hoochie" set up can and does work as well as any other high dollar lure for trolling, at times.

A hungry Dorado, in the right place at the right time, will bite most anything trolled.
Known, proven color combinations that work consistently in the Sea of Cortez are pink and white, purple and black and the color called "Zucchini".
The black/purple in early morning low light, then as things brighten up, the pink/white is the go to color.
Billfish bite these same colors also...from small 6" models to the bigger "marlin" size jigs.

Year after year, a "jet head" model seems to outproduce a plain bullet head in my opinion. Something that rises up and comes out of the water for a moment is the hot ticket.
Personally I like a Sumo jet head lure with a concave jet face in 6" length and in the colors mentioned. The vinyl skirt will slip off the head sometimes, but a shot of superglue on the vinyl and the bottom end of the metal head will do the trick for that.
And a cedar plug will catch most anything offshore.....plain cedar color.

I used to be a lure whore but gave that up when I found out (rather quickly I might add) that a cheapo collection of known and proven lures will put just as many fish over the side as a whole suitcase of high dollar lures that often turn out to be just a "fisherman catcher" vs a fish catcher.

That lure your interested in looks might fine and I sure hope you score with it.
For yellowtail....maybe not so much as they are primarily bottom feeders down well over a 100' at most times of the year here on the SOC. From the looks of that lure, it might get down 10'-15' feet or so with that diving lip??

I am more of a bottom fishing style now vs offshore, but have trolled endless miles, south and north off Loreto in the past.

There are a few guys on here who are avid offshore anglers and who live down here full time.
Maybe they will pipe up and can help you with your lure selection if that is what your seeking to improve your chances in the SOC offshore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sharky007

Apr 2, 2010
Whittier ca
Name
Roger
Boat
NONE
When the conditions are right, and the bait is presented as naturally as possible and your quarry are in a feeding mode....most any lure or bait will get you bit.
Color is not as important as action IMO, and in the right spots where the fish live and feed.

Some anglers swear by a particular color of lure, yet I have found that color is not nearly as critical as presenting that lure in the best possible manner, and in the best possible location known for holding fish. If your lure selection is not anywhere near feeding fish, the world's finest lure is not going to be calling them from afar to "bite me, bite me"
Location location location......that is the ticket to success offshore.

A cheap squid skirt or "hoochie" set up can and does work as well as any other high dollar lure for trolling, at times.

A hungry Dorado, in the right place at the right time, will bite most anything trolled.
Known, proven color combinations that work consistently in the Sea of Cortez are pink and white, purple and black and the color called "Zucchini".
The black/purple in early morning low light, then as things brighten up, the pink/white is the go to color.
Billfish bite these same colors also...from small 6" models to the bigger "marlin" size jigs.

Year after year, a "jet head" model seems to outproduce a plain bullet head in my opinion. Something that rises up and comes out of the water for a moment is the hot ticket.
Personally I like a Sumo jet head lure with a concave jet face in 6" length and in the colors mentioned. The vinyl skirt will slip off the head sometimes, but a shot of superglue on the vinyl and the bottom end of the metal head will do the trick for that.
And a cedar plug will catch most anything offshore.....plain cedar color.

I used to be a lure whore but gave that up when I found out (rather quickly I might add) that a cheapo collection of known and proven lures will put just as many fish over the side as a whole suitcase of high dollar lures that often turn out to be just a "fisherman catcher" vs a fish catcher.

That lure your interested in looks might fine and I sure hope you score with it.
For yellowtail....maybe not so much as they are primarily bottom feeders down well over a 100' at most times of the year here on the SOC. From the looks of that lure, it might get down 10'-15' feet or so with that diving lip??

I am more of a bottom fishing style now vs offshore, but have trolled endless miles, south and north off Loreto in the past.

There are a few guys on here who are avid offshore anglers and who live down here full time.
Maybe they will pipe up and can help you with your lure selection if that is what your seeking to improve your chances in the SOC offshore.
Thank you very much for such a detailed article. It gives me a clear insight on Jet heads among the reality of fancy lures like the one mentioned above, which I have no knowledge period. You mentioned above that a concave face jet head is better than bullet head, is that because of the action it does rising and coming out of the water. How much sucess did you have doing that here in the west coast and down south. I was looking to buy some I was looking for the brand Sumo ir something similar. I am amazed that Yellow tail where bottom feeders now it makes sense whats going on In San quintin a fellow BD contributor named clyde text me some pictures of a bright red crab called Tuna crab and he said that the belly of the Yellow tail where full of the tuna crab. Had no idea they ate Crustaceans again thanks again for the article.

Upvote 0

marcortez

No soy yo
Jul 15, 2007
loreto bcs mexico
Name
dale
Boat
Gregor
The jet head has several small holes on the face.....those cause water to pushed through them while at troll speeds.
The water that exits those holes comes out as bubbles and leaves what is known as a "smoke trail"
That attracts any nearby fish who are curious to see what all the bubbly fuss is.
Plus at the proper speed, those heads come out of the water and then dig back in again.
Much like a flying fish coming out of the water and then diving back in again.
Commotion is a good thing in this trolling method.

Yellowtail on the Pacific side have different habits and feeding methods than those on the SOC side and I am not that familiar with their feeding habits and will leave that to the Pacific side experts.

For example, on the Pacific side the yellowtail can be found frequently under kelp paddies offshore, whereas on the SOC side......there is no seaweed per se, only sargasso weeds and I have never seen or heard of yellowtail offshore here.....not to say never never but for me personally, I have yet to see this.

Upvote 0

Waterdog3

Almost A Member
Apr 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Name
Needham
Boat
War Eagle
So I just baught this amazing lure. I read some product reviews on line of some anglers using it back east with great success, from Pelagics to White Seabass. Does anyone have any feed back using it here in the West coast or in baja or anywhere else? I am taking 4 colors to San Quintin and do a test run out there and see what hits we get. There not cheap but than again all good tackle is pricey.

Thanks again and tight lines everyone.

Check this video out

R1069_CPHP.jpg
Had guys fish them on my Tony Reyes charters in the past. They worked great.

Upvote 0

Waterdog3

Almost A Member
Apr 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Name
Needham
Boat
War Eagle
Y
What kind of fish did they end up catching? Yellow Tail Dorado Tuna ETC
Yellows and Grouper and everything else that they troll for around the shoreline and open water. There isn't any Dorado when I have my charter in May. However I am sure that they would work. The only problem trolling them on Tony Reyes along the shore is that you get rocked sometimes by a large grouper. With that in mind my guys like to troll Mirro Lures heck of a lot cheaper.

Upvote 0

sharky007

Apr 2, 2010
Whittier ca
Name
Roger
Boat
NONE
Y

Yellows and Grouper and everything else that they troll for around the shoreline and open water. There isn't any Dorado when I have my charter in May. However I am sure that they would work. The only problem trolling them on Tony Reyes along the shore is that you get rocked sometimes by a large grouper. With that in mind my guys like to troll Mirro Lures heck of a lot cheaper.

Wow had no idea groupers would hit this type of lure did they tie them directly to mono or to a swivel? Thanks for the info on Mirro lures I will check them out any particular favorites? Thanks in advance and well now we know they work quite well in that part of Baja hope they work on this side of the pacific when we hit San Quintin.

Upvote 0