Has anyone built one of these things?

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by Odin7, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
  2. Reel Hooker

Reel Hooker I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Benjamin
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'
    nope, looks like an xtero. ask Travis maybe he makes them?

dragonballs likes this.
  3. hawksfan75

hawksfan75 More questions than answers

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Hydra Sports 2200 DC
  4. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    From what I understand, you buy the CNC files and HIN from them, take the files to a CNC shop, they cut all the pieces and then you put it together like a giant model boat kit.

5. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    I think it might be one of those kits. The one on your link is beautiful.

6. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    Yep. Looking further along the thread, that is where it came from.

7. Fog Ducker!

Fog Ducker! Misanthropical member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    4 and counting!
    Goat??????????????? Looks like a fun weekend project.

Ducker!

8. Swede

Swede Yachtless

Name:
    Swede
    Boat:
    Kristen Lee
    Cope Designs is the other that makes designs to build

9. Spokaloo

Spokaloo I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    I build my own
    There's actually quite a few outfits that make either kits, CNC dimensioned plans, or straight up plans and you cut them out. Cutting your own plans is pretty easy because common woodworking tools with carbide tips are able to cut almost all alloys of aluminum. I cut it with circular saws, table saws, jigsaws, etc., regularly.

But then there's the skill level of stacking dimes...

E

Odin7 and goatram like this.
  10. goatram

goatram Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest

Name:
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat:
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Plus plus the skills, a 350 amp MIG, plus a 200 amp TIG or bigger, a water cooled TIG torch, meat axe, clamps, grinders, saws, a few friends in the business that can get you a deal on some parts. 8 months or more of your time. AND AT LEAST $100,000 IF NOT $135,000 TO GET THE BOAT FINISHED.

Check on the boat Hull Number issue. The state issues that. The plans don't come with. Reel Song on I fish built his. There is one being built now down in Vancouver he is posting on BD in the boat section.

Odin7 likes this.
  11. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    What's In The Package? You'll receive a set of very detailed, easy to follow assembly drawings in PDF format and CNC Cutting Files in AutoCAD format that you can take to your local Cutting Shop who will cut the plates for you. A Certificate Of Authenticity to prove you have a legal license to build one boat, and a Hull Identification Number are also included.

John, although you started with a new hull (if I remember correctly), you put a ton of work into her none the less, and the result is impressive.

Would you do it again?

12. Spokaloo

Spokaloo I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    I build my own
    Licensing is actually really easy in the state of Washington. Their predominant concern is that you paid tax on all materials used in the build. You provide receipts to them showing the materials costs, they issue you a HIN in the next serial order. It will be coded HM on the title for 'homebuilt'. They also tell you the two locations required to have the HIN located (one on transom in view, one hidden).

Licensing is a piece of cake.

Now if you are going to be a passenger vessel for charter or commercial use, you have to be USCG inspected, and it's a whole different ball of wax.

E

goatram and Odin7 like this.
  13. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    Thanks. I am currently working on a little project boat from an old hull I bought that does not have a HIN on it and I was wondering how I would register it. I will make sure to keep receipts handy for all the material I put into it when the time comes.

14. Nick Rudnick

Nick Rudnick Member

Name:
    Nick R
    Boat:
    17' Aluminum Skiff
    I have designed and sold boat plans before, nothing along the lines of a pilothouse, usually a simple skiff or shallow running sled. A lot of the companies dont give you the cad, they have it cut at a place like Alaskan Copper and Brass or Specialty metals, and you get the pre-cut parts from them. They couldnt make up for the cost in developing the cad otherwise.

Goat is right, the cost in a purchased pilot isnt the price of the metal, that believe it or not is one of the least expensive parts (i purchase aluminum on a daily basis). There is a cost involved with purchasing the welder and learning from mistakes (experience). The rest of the cost comes from accessories, glass, ect. (the list goes on).

You can build a 26' pilothouse hull for about 15-20k in aluminum (conservatively). The cutting would be 5-6k. A hull with an experienced welder takes a lot of time and skill that isnt cheap. It gets really easy to get to 70k for a completed hull, and then you have to add fit and finish, rigging, and what not.

Coming from a guy who has designed and built his own boat, I can promise you, it is usually more cost effective to purchase one built...

TonyG and goatram like this.
  15. goatram

Name:
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat:
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    I would but I am not well endowed with money. I have the tools and place to do so. My Welder; Jim wants to but I need Money to buy the all of the parts and pieces.

Edited: I tried to get Bean Marine Fabrication to issue me a HIN. He would only do so If I had him finish it out. Coldwater wanted to weld out a Hull of theirs to give me a HIN. That HIN is golden. A Home Built HIN Designation Is Harder to Insure and costs more each year. Plus the Question of what Make and Model is it comes up quite often. RBW=Rizzerizzor Boat Works.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    Odin7, Fog Ducker! and Nick Rudnick like this.
  16. Nick Rudnick

Nick Rudnick Member

Name:
    Nick R
    Boat:
    17' Aluminum Skiff
    I am solving that issue for my next one right now... I have started jumping through the hoops so I can make my own HIN's...

goatram likes this.
  17. Chtucker

Chtucker Lowe boat denter

Name:
    Howard
    Boat:
    Double Trouble 28' Armstrong
    Keys to success in my mind are:

Keeping the parts flowing during the build so it doesn't get held up. Boat builders have inventory

Buy parts below retail

Don't change things didn't the build, redoing things costs $$

Sometimes what you want, might not be what is practical or economical

The trailer cost about 20% over my initial estimate and took 6 months due to me not having in hand when I needed it

Nick Rudnick likes this.
  18. Walker Inc.

Walker Inc. I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Patrick Walker
    Boat:
    33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
    @cgregerson is building a kit boat right now in Poulsbo, WA in his garage. UPDATES?

goatram likes this.
  19. goatram

Name:
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat:
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
  20. pfam

pfam Newbie

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Shamrock Mackinaw
    Finished building a 17' skiff two years ago and discovered getting the HIN could be an issue if you don't keep receipts. I kept just enough to make the licensing folks happy. Be ready to find someone at the licensing department that has a clue. First clerk couldn't get it through her head that it was made from scratch....Finally an older more "seasoned" clerk overheard our conversation and took over. She had even heard of Glen L. The things I learned: It costs more in the end to build from scratch if you are going to use new equipment (electronics, motor, trailer etc.). It takes longer than you think (you could be fishing instead of building). Would i do it again. Yep. I enjoyed the process. If you are doing it to save money or time, wait for the boat show and find one that is really shiny and makes you smile and buy it. You will save money and time.