has anyone built a musky rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Building Forum' started by MR2Navy, Nov 20, 2010.

1. MR2Navy

MR2Navy Newbie

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    na
    So this guy my father n law knows is considering getting a musky rod built by me. Imagine that a coonass from louisiana building a rod for a WI boy. Anyways I got on Batson's website and see they offer 10 different models of blanks specific for musky. Besides the type of blank is there anything else I need to know for building a musky specific blank?

2. Zombie

Zombie Member

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    Bennington
    Josh,
    It's really not much different from building any other rod. Much of the difference in blanks is the size of the lure that will be used. I'd try and find out what the guy is throwing and what reel he uses. Most Musky sticks have a somewhat longer straight cork butt grip.

3. MR2Navy

MR2Navy Newbie

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    na
    yea I spoke to him on the phone tonight. He's a pro tourny guy and he's been there a few hundred different rods in the past 10 years trying to dial in what works and what he likes. Its just crazy that little ole me maybe building his rods. He's gonna get back with me on the specifics of what he wants etc and we're gonna go from there. I emailed him pics of my work thus far and my stuff isn't as impressive as what you guys put out but I'm getting there. The batson site has a pretty good detail of what each of there models is far and what they offer so that will help figure which is gonna be sutable for him. I appreciate all of you guys inputs and support for me thus far.

4. Terry G.

Terry G. old fart

Name:
    Terry G.
    but that "coonass from Louisiana" builds some nice stuff from what i have seen, heck go for it.

5. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Atlantic Custom Tackle

Name:
    Richie
    Boat:
    32 albe
    I have built several..They make great Striped Bass & fluke rods...

I would look at the Lamiglas blank...Fuji MNSG guides ...Cork grips Fuji Trigger seat ..

Phenix Swimbait..United Compoistes US70MH they make a US78MH clip it back about 2" off the tip take the rest off the back wow what a rod...

St Croix maybe the best ............

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  6. FAT CAT

FAT CAT FAT CAT

Name:
    Bill Burkett
    Boat:
    22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
    Just geterdun coon ass!

7. MR2Navy

MR2Navy Newbie

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    na

Well a curve ball to it is he wants all U.S. made products.

Thanks guys

8. Capt Richie

Name:
    Richie
    Boat:
    32 albe
    Smart Guy..Go with The St Croix...Lamiglas or United Composites...All USA made..

Components Fuji Japan made best quality...You cant find Guides made in the USA..Even if the company selling them has an American name...

9. MR2Navy

MR2Navy Newbie

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    na
    not even American Tackle?

10. mike garone

mike garone Newbie

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    none yet
    Yep, not even American Tackle.

11. MR2Navy

MR2Navy Newbie

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    na
    On there site it says....

Q: Where are American Tackle products manufactured?

A: American Tackle Company has manufacturing agreements with a selective group of independant OEMs from the United States and Asia.

So I wonder what products are made where?

12. Capt. G

Capt. G BD Outdoors Contributor

Name:
    Capt. G
    Boat:
    黒潮No.2
    If a company makes 99% of their product in China, and 1 percent in the good 'ol USA, they could state that "X Company has manufacturing agreements with a selective group of independent OEMs from the United States and Asia"
    Or they could make 100 percent of their product in China--the may have a manufacturing agreement in the USA, but not choose to actually manufacture there based on any number of reasons.

BtW, I see nothing wrong with the Taiwan or China made American Tackle guides-I believe there is good value base on price. If the aforementioned came from their website, they need to hit the word in red with "Spell Check".

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  13. MR2Navy

MR2Navy Newbie

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    na
    I was thinking along those same lines as far as how much may or may not be made here. I'm a horrible speller myself. This guys was wanting 100% U.S. made products but I'm not seeing how thats going to be possible. There is several blank companies and other parts but the guides seem to all be made overseas. Even St Croix has a shop in Mexico.

btw G how much those big ass lures weigh you are always using to bass fish with? I've always used a lot smaller lures for bass etc. Maybe I should rethink my lure choices.

14. Capt Richie

Name:
    Richie
    Boat:
    32 albe
    All the St Croix blanks I have say Made in USA...When this this start & what blank are no longer made in th USA....

15. Bill Batson

Bill Batson Bill Batson Advertiser

Name:
    Bill Batson
    Boat:
    Bayrunner, Leiana Rae
    I would go with St Croix if the blank needs to be made in the USA>> They have mastered the Muskie market as they are in the heart of it. As far as componentry is concerned i would use the ALPS product lines before anyone else>just my opinion. I would like to see more folks give ALPS a try i think they would be very impressed with the quality. IMHO the best components on the market.
    Bill Batson

Bill Batson>>

16. Zombie

Zombie Member

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    Bennington
    I agree with Bill that the Alps stuff is some of the best stuff out there. I just got a couple of Alps triangle seats (from Mark at Acidrod) which have the carbon fiber cutouts and finger notches. High tech to say the least. Very cool.

17. MR2Navy

MR2Navy Newbie

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    na

This is off there site, says that the current models built in the U.S. will continue to be built in the U.S.

ST. CROIX VALUE. KEEPING IT ALIVE IN NORTH AMERICA.
    Of course, there are only so many hands in Park Falls, Wisconsin and over the years, the undeniable value of St. Croix rods has meant more and more people have wanted to fish one. Which means every year, more and more rods leave Park Falls for waters throughout the world. Well, it’s gotten to the point where we simply can’t make enough in our Park Falls factory. It’s a small town. (And we’d like to keep it that way.) Faced with a decision of opening another factory or outsourcing to Asia, we concluded the only way to ensure a St. Croix rod remains a St. Croix rod was to construct a second factory in Fresnillo, Mexico. If you happen to be traveling through Fresnillo, you’ll find an almost mirror facility to our state-of-the-art Park Falls operation – same equipment, same manufacturing procedures and the very same quality control protocols. Our Fresnillo facility manufactures a select group of rods that are designed and engineered here in Park Falls. These rods offer the chance for an even greater segment of the fishing population to get their hands on a St. Croix. Rod models currently manufactured in Park Falls will continue to be made in Park Falls. By making sure all our rods are “Handcrafted in North America,” we are able to continue providing anglers with the best value in angling

18. MR2Navy

MR2Navy Newbie

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    na

Well I'll talk to him about the St Croix blanks. I had told him about the Batson blanks. Both seem to have specific purpose blanks like what he's wanting. Not sure which would be a better brand fit for him. I have never personnelly used either so I have no expierence with them. Alps is going to be hard to beat as far as quality goes. I have a set of Alps guides on my offshore stick and the fit for them was great.

19. Capt Richie

Name:
    Richie
    Boat:
    32 albe
    Wow news to me..Good to hear the rods & blank made here are staying here...

I did read somewere there coming out with some new blanks ...Sad new about mexico..

I think it stinks American companys feel the need to move out of the US...I try my best to buy American made blanks...But also finding it hard..China is going to eat us up...

But what American can live on $50 dollars a week....

20. MR2Navy

MR2Navy Newbie

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    na
    Yea its getting that way with anything not just rod building supplies. I've seen more and more companies farming there stuff out to elsewhere.

I read on a site article about the number of factories that have closed down in the U.S. and relocated elsewhere. I can't remember the number but it was a large number since the turn of the century.