RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
I had a guy tell me on a trip that all of the fireman that went into the world trade center towers deserved to die. They should have known better and not have gone up.

As a fireman I climbed across the table to smack the guy. Fortunately people held me back. Andy was none to impressed with the guy and had a talk with him. I believe he was invited to never fish on the boat again.
Forget that, that guy deserved a swim.

Tom Honaker

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
a guy i know says he booked a spot on a 15 day boat and im thinking someone will want to kill him by the time its over
Most boats just tell that guy the trip is full! After trying to to book a spot on several full trips with no luck, he will get the hint and book a trip on another boat!

gnehekul

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 23, 2012
los angeles
Name
Fishead
Boat
cash carrying ho
I had a guy tell me on a trip that all of the fireman that went into the world trade center towers deserved to die. They should have known better and not have gone up.

As a fireman I climbed across the table to smack the guy. Fortunately people held me back. Andy was none to impressed with the guy and had a talk with him. I believe he was invited to never fish on the boat again.
I would have tried to stop you and if I couldn't hold you back... When the coast guard shows up. Yea I saw him fall because of the ocean and blame poor Paul because as a fire fighter he was trying to help him.. yea I'll be a witness in court

Tom Honaker

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
I would have tried to stop you and if I couldn't hold you back... When the coast guard shows up. Yea I saw him fall because of the ocean and blame poor Paul because as a fire fighter he was trying to help him.. yea I'll be a witness in court
It would be a crying shame if his house caught on fire!

freegaff2

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 31, 2014
Name
Craig Simcox
Boat
none
2 guys were obviously hitting the pain pills a little hard, but then I'm no Doc, and lots of guys with bad backs, shoulders, knees still love to fish. These guys took it to a whole other level when they tried to sell pills to some of the other passengers, and even one crew member. Skipper suggested they throw it all over, as cops might be waiting at the dock. And that there names were going to be passed to all of the boats. They were both looking over there shoulders when we hit the dock, and I don't think they waited for their fish...

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
sou cal
Name
Frank
Boat
Kayak
Was on a 10 day on the RP, this guy I roomed with because I hopped on the trip last minut, ran up to the Captain as we were leaving the harbor. Demanded that they he turn the boat around to let him off because he had a "heart condtion". Well, the captain refused...long story short, I think he regretted not turning the boat around because he drove the captain and crew nuts by the end of the trip...the farther south we went, the greater his anxiety became and the more trips up to the wheelroom he made to complain about his condition. Anyways, I went up to the wheelhouse as we were approaching the harbor, at the end of the trip, to see if I could buy an extra tee shirt or something, and there was this one passenger who was an emt taking his vitals, and conversing with a doctor over the sat phone. There were paramedics and a stretcher waiting when we arrived at the dock so he was wheeled off the boat, not kicked off. I recall the Captain walking through the galley, mid-trip, in the middle of the night, only a couple of us were awake, just shaking his head and saying, "why do I get all the nuts?!?" Wasn't such a bad room mate though because he slept the entire trip up top on the galley seats because he said he suffered from claustrophobia, so I had the stateroom to myself, except when he went down to change.

hilltop

lurking in the shallows
Jan 1, 2010
sb 805
Name
hilltop
Boat
sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
My first LR ever on the Shogun, we had a stowaway that was noticed in the middle of the night of the first night. I woke up the morning after leaving the morning before and we were clearing the Nados headed south for the second time...........I was like WTF????

stickbass

Mar 14, 2008
mesa, az
Name
richard
Boat
none
lol he's just kinda wild and loud and i can picture him being a general pain. i was thinking there must have been a time over the years someone had been dropped off in puerto vallarta or something

strackle99

Mar 20, 2008
Allied Gardens
Name
Todd
Boat
The one on the fish
I was on the Royal Star 7 day a few years back.

We started with BFT, and the seas were choppy. Not too rough, but choppy.

One older guy had a bunch of spinning reels, and only one conventional. An old Penn 6/0.

Every stop, he was struggling with fish, just getting his ass handed to him with spinning reels.

After the third nights dinner, the Chartermaster announced this guy was getting out of LR, and all his gear was for sale.

No one wanted any of his stuff. This guy 86'd himself.

Reactions: One_Leg

hilltop

lurking in the shallows
Jan 1, 2010
sb 805
Name
hilltop
Boat
sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
I was on the Royal Star 7 day a few years back.

We started with BFT, and the seas were choppy. Not too rough, but choppy.

One older guy had a bunch of spinning reels, and only one conventional. An old Penn 6/0.

Every stop, he was struggling with fish, just getting his ass handed to him with spinning reels.

After the third nights dinner, the Chartermaster announced this guy was getting out of LR, and all his gear was for sale.

No one wanted any of his stuff. This guy 86'd himself.

jeez, a literal "86'd himself" or a figurative 86'ing??? at least he was getting bit......

Reactions: stickbass

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
To answer the OP's question, yes, some anglers manage to get themselves blackballed from the boat. Do the boats share this information, not certain, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Oh, any one here think the captain isn't in charge on the boat?

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
I’ve been on trips where a guy was asked not to return. They don’t necessarily share the info with other boats because the guy just may not be a fit with their clientele. Other skippers may be better at nipping the problem in the bud early. I’ve had chartermasters tell me they weren’t letting a specific guy return, again not a good fit with the group.

Reactions: $norkle and Bill W

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
I don't know for sure that a certain fisherman was blackballed, but he should have been. Several decades ago, while on patrol in the national forest just east of Los Angeles, a fellow game warden received a call from a concerned citizen that a really big fish was on the side of Angeles Crest Highway. Going up and looking, he found a very big yellowfin tuna, still mostly frozen, and with a boat's passenger tag in it's cheek. After calling for assistance, it got loaded into the back of the pickup and a further drive up and down about five miles of road found several more, just dumped along the side of the road.

It didn't take much investigation to find out that the fisherman had just gotten off of the LR boat in the tag, and his name and contact information were on the galley roster. In contacting him, he told us that he thought that it was OK to put out free food for the bears since he had caught more fish than he could use.

I forget how much the fine was for "wanton waste of game" but I remember that it was pretty stiff.