Has anyone been kicked off a LR boat?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by stickbass, Apr 3, 2018.

1. mcrae

mcrae Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    McRae
    Boat:
    none
    Wouldn't it take a lot to get banned?

One_Leg likes this.
  2. Adrien Baker

Adrien Baker Born to get down.

Name:
    Adrien Baker
    Boat:
    Ultra
    I must have missed the good stuff.

Adrien

3. Elitetv1958

Elitetv1958 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Music
    I always sort my own fish back at the landing. I color my tags. Don’t want to carry around other people’s fish. Hey, I only watch out for Number 1. Everyone else can carry their own freight. Only one captain has tossed me from future trips because I am so selfish.

4. rccalhoun

rccalhoun Newbie

Name:
    bob
    Boat:
    none yet
    there is one trip where the fisherman share the bounty. does anyone know the name of that? its sounds fun and non-pressured/ego

5. RockHopperNCKA

RockHopperNCKA Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    Do kayaks count?
    I know Alan Tani runs, or used to run, a charter like that. Not sure which boat. SOA maybe?

Bill W likes this.
  6. soabd

soabd Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    NA
    Alan Tani's group is the one that "shares" the bounty. This year he has transitioned from a 5 day in the spring to an 8 day in the fall on the Spirit.

karlk1125, Steve K and RockHopperNCKA like this.
  7. speyman

speyman Iron Chucker

Name:
    jack-e
    Boat:
    Intrepid, Ms Magoo
    We share on our Albacore trips on Magoo

Squid Sammich likes this.
  8. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    I find that when I drink, I am more tolerant of assholes. So, I consider drinking to be my gift to others. (All joking aside, although we drink on my boat, no one takes the helm unless they are sober.)

9. jigsaurus

jigsaurus Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Boat:
    12' plastic cod killer
    Even medical pot on land does not work when on a boat. It definitely still gets you high

Bill W likes this.
  10. conchydong

conchydong Untitled

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Rock Bottom
    Whether it gets you high or not, pot is still illegal on a boat. Federal laws are enforced on the high seas. Having pot on board endangers the Captain, crew and passengers as a voyage could be terminated if found by the Coat Guard or Homeland Security. It would be very inconsiderate for someone to bring it on board.

Rodless_Jim, Bubba, Tunacious and 3 others like this.
  11. jigsaurus

jigsaurus Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Boat:
    12' plastic cod killer
    This is true. No need to ruin a fishing trip due to getting high.

12. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    I just want to get back to hearing these story’s

Chrisben likes this.
  13. The Great PF

The Great PF Member

Name:
    Roy Todd
    Boat:
    None
    I've enjoyed this thread. Two points:

Although not banned from a boat, per se, my first LR trip was a 10 day on the Excel. We had a great chartermaster who had about 90% of his crew coming back year after year. On this particular trip there were 5 open spots, and he had to personally approve anyone wanting to get on the trip. He showed great courtesy to us 4 Texans, and upon arrival at the dock that there was another Texan on the boat who was also a newbie. I quickly became ashamed for Texas for having the fifth Texan living in the same state as I do. At the end of the trip, the chartermaster came to us (at least me) and told me that the 4 of us would be welcome in the future, but the fifth Texan (aka 'That Guy') would not be 'invited' back, i.e., 'not welcome'. I've done my best to put him out of my mind, but I remember he talked loud, often and said things absolutely not appropriate. An absolute know-it-all. Because I have some clients and friends in San Diego County who are on staff at a church, I had asked everyone of the boat to please donate one fish for the church's food pantry. One guy gave me 6 nice yft, the chartermaster donated 2 big bull dodos, but That Guy kept every single fish he boated. He was single (for good reason) and certainly couldn't have eaten that many fish in 3 years; nevertheless, he caught a lot of fish, and he kept every one.

Second point: I think all of the stories related on this thread can be distilled down to one simple principle--treat others the way YOU want to be treated. If you think about how you're coming across to others, you will do everything you can NOT to be That Guy!

14. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    I don't disagree with this but when was the last time a voyage was terminated because of weed ? I'm pretty sure sure every trip i've been on in the last 40 years had pot smokers on the boat.Never a problem.

strackle99 likes this.
  15. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    Weed was smoked on the Q and Rodney the captain knew who was doing it. Instead of talking to them, he waited until 1:00 am to wake up the entire boat with a mandatory attendance and told us that he knew SOMEONE was smoking weed and that if it didn't stop, he would turn the boat over to the Mexican authorities. John Klein must not have been too happy because I never saw Rodney on the Q again.,

16. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats

I think we can apply that to life in general, thanks Roy

17. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    Gee i can't imagine why a boat owner wouldn't like that....

18. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    I liked Rodney, but he might not have been the right fit at the time. At least that's what my boss told me, last time I was fired.

picasso, Brad I, ripped and 2 others like this.
  19. 3GunSalute

3GunSalute Nocturnal Snow Monkey

Name:
    Peter
    Boat:
    14' Valco, Excel
    I always chuckle when I remember the way Norm on the Shogun approached the drug issue.
    In the safety meeting he explained that illicit drugs were not tolerated so the violator had a choice:
    Explain it to the Shore Patrol upon return.
    or
    Do it all up right now!

20. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    My 1st LR trip wasa 10 day on the RR3 in the early 80's with Danny Palm skipper and Jorge (RIP) in the galley. Chuck Garrison,the writer, was on the trip too along with some other talent. My longest trip to that point was a 3/4 day but I spent day's in Jerry Morris's (RIP) tackle store who had me set up pretty good. Trip was a blast, albies the 1st day, the lupe for some big yellows and the rocks for whaoo and yft. I was treated very well and all the crew and passengers were more than helpful teaching me everything to make it a great trip.
    Ten years, marriage a couple kids later I figure I'll go again, book a 10 on the RR3. Get to the boat there's Jorge, dude remembers my name after 10 years, and a whole cast of characters. There's coach who's pretty much filled all the good spots with his shit, 2 already half drunk LAPD metro cops who were drunk the whole trip and this big dude I'll call Gronk cause he was big and looked pretty much like him. The 2 cops are pretty much Aholes to begin with, and coach firgured he owned the boat I guess. Gronk must have stopped at big 5 and cleaned out all the big penn spinning reels and white spinning rods cause that was his entire quiver.
    So coach and the 2 drunk cops become fast friends right off the get go, coach the leader and these 2 following like puppy dogs. They start in on gronk right away and the three were aholes the whole trip, absolute misery the whole time,THAT GUY x 10. I stated eating meals 2nd shift just so I didn't have to listen to them. There were merciless to gronk, every stupid Jaun Valdez crack just fucking with him at every oppurninty. That shit wasn't funny but while that big dude was irritated he was a pretty mellow guy and let it slide.
    End of the trip everyone is breaking down gear, coach takes gronk's water bottle without asking to spray down his gear, Gronk nicely asked for his bottle back and coach squirts him right in the eye with it. It's on like Donkey Kong now and gronk just catches coach with a haymaker and down goes coach. Fucking epic. Skipper and crew step in at this point and keep them seperated for the ride home.
    We caught fish but those three made the whole trip miserable, the crew could have stepped in at any point and didn't and that was my last trip on an open party and that boat. I know alot of people like the boat and crew and that's just my expierence I'm sure it's fine and Andy is a fishy dude,just not my cup of tea.
    I've heard some other epic coach stories, hoping to see a few more.