Harnell 626R information

Feb 1, 2020
Florida
Name
Pete
Boat
None
About 25 years ago, I inherited from my grandfather, what I am assuming is, a vintage Harnell 626R two-piece spinning rod. It’s been well taken care of, no rust and the cork, thread and wraps are all in pretty good condition.

Any help with the following would be greatly appreciated:
When was the rod produced?
Is the fiberglass still safe to use without fear of breaking?
And if it is still usable, what is the appropriate tackle for it?

The value to me, is that it’s one of the few things I still have from my grandfather and I’d love for it to get some use again. Alternatively, if it’s going to break under load, then I will find a way to display it.

2426B273-8CA4-4607-BADF-921A9371ADD9.jpeg

swami 805

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
9’ two piece each piece about 54” tip 8-9. Butt .635. The catalog price for a blank was $17.35, couldn’t find the factory built one in the catalog just the blank. The “R” means a factory built rod. It says salmon steelhead bonefish. Does that sound like it?
Couldn’t tell you what year, maybe someone could give you a range when they used that label
Sound be fine to fish, it shouldn’t break. Give it a try!

swami 805

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
As for a reel is it spinning or conventional? If spinning see if you can find an old penn “Greenie” or a Heddon if you want something cheaper If conventional maybe a spincast reel would work, they made some decent ones back then
I’m sure Gramps would want you to fish with it again

Mtnfshr

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 20, 2011
Thornton
Name
Chuck Mc
Boat
none
Slap a vintage Mitchell 302 or 402 on it and go fishing. The rod will be fine.
There is a good reason why the old Harnell 10 ft rods or blanks fetch good money in resales. That's because they're still up to the task of slinging iron and pulling on fish.