Barking Spider
Jul 18, 2006
Tehachapi, CA
www.landofmayo.com
Name
Mark
Boat
Vagabond & Royal Star
I have made quite a few cedar plugs and these may be my best. I guess practice makes perfect sometimes.

A friend is going to mount these in a frame as a gift instead of fishing them, but they catch fish too. These are 4” models and 5”, 6” and 7” have been made.

C25F1248-0338-4FDD-B88F-38F47EBB8822.jpeg 09A72F15-F313-409D-8BCC-EB6F8443297F.jpeg 1D19270D-EC8F-47F2-B2C1-3AA6B1ED9482.jpeg 04FEFADC-2025-44D9-A228-88BE56327540.jpeg

CaptJgray

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
Never understood the fishing lure decorations like retiring a good jig or not fishing with a Trueline. If it gets bit fish it... It sucks to lose a great jig so use it when the fish are a little more picky.

Personaly I think its a nice gesture to display those, but I would be displaying them in a picture with it buried in a fishes gullet...

very nice work!

Reactions: stangclassic66

jdmanowar

Mar 29, 2009
so cal
Name
jason
Boat
none yet
You may want to make another batch and put up for sale here...I'd be interested, that's for sure!

mmayo

Barking Spider
Jul 18, 2006
Tehachapi, CA
www.landofmayo.com
Name
Mark
Boat
Vagabond & Royal Star
All his non fishing friends will think he framed fancy dildos
The person receiving the framed plugs is a yatch owner who has caught countless fish on cedar plugs. He loves them and will not confuse them with objects for the bedroom.

Reactions: One_Leg

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Apr 24, 2005
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat
Franks ho
Awesome work.
2nd pic, far right. Is that Myrtlewood?
I used to get MW out of Oregon.
Love me some "Jesus" wood.

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
The person receiving the framed plugs is a yatch owner who has caught countless fish on cedar plugs. He loves them and will not confuse them with objects for the bedroom.
Nice stuff Mark, I have always wanted to fish a Barking Spiders trip, schedule has never lined up. A question: what varnish are you using on your plugs? I am looking to build some stuff using wood for the first time in my life.
My first Albacore came off a cedar plug back in the mid 90s. They were just coming back in style for the albie years, found out about them as they were featured in the old SouthCoast magazines. Days of yore nowadays.

Reactions: mmayo

mmayo

Barking Spider
Jul 18, 2006
Tehachapi, CA
www.landofmayo.com
Name
Mark
Boat
Vagabond & Royal Star
Nice stuff Mark, I have always wanted to fish a Barking Spiders trip, schedule has never lined up. A question: what varnish are you using on your plugs? I am looking to build some stuff using wood for the first time in my life.
My first Albacore came off a cedar plug back in the mid 90s. They were just coming back in style for the albie years, found out about them as they were featured in the old SouthCoast magazines. Days of yore nowadays.
On these, since they were always destined for display I used three coats of oil based polyurethane followed by a three stage buffing process ending in carnuba wax.

I usually use boiled linseed oil and CA glue and buff.

Come in the Spiders Trip in the Star and carefully sample Spider juice, caution is needed. Fun group since 1999 on the Star and 1993/4 on the Vagabond.

Last edited:

strackle99

Mar 20, 2008
Villa Lepro, Baja
Name
Todd
Boat
The one on the fish
Looks like they would make great pens.

Albeit a little large and heavy

mmayo

Barking Spider
Jul 18, 2006
Tehachapi, CA
www.landofmayo.com
Name
Mark
Boat
Vagabond & Royal Star
Good 8 day trip on the Star and we trolled. My “cedar“ plugs we bit very well. Purpleheart and bloodwood were used to catch both bluefin and yellowfin.

DA8F44FB-DBF7-4372-BE66-3EAAFDBFEEF3.jpeg

Previously on troll at Santa Barbara Island we managed close to 50 tails on my plugs. Here is a big one.

889717B8-186D-4667-B3C5-F7BCF7C89F34.jpeg

Last edited:

jayyyy

Oct 7, 2008
NorCal
Name
jay
Boat
'04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
Nice show piece but I'd rather fish those.

Saba

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 30, 2006
Millcreek, UT
Name
Charlie
Boat
Hyde drift boat
I was on the 8 day trip on the Star with Mark earlier this month and these jigs are as effective as they are handsome. I saw them catch several fish. Not for me though, because someone always beat me to the rod with Mark's jig on it. It was popular.