Well-Known "Member"
Jul 5, 2011
Tacoma WA
Name
Dave Anderson
Boat
People know me.
image.jpeg
A huge shout out to Steve. You showed me something that you've had to yourself for 30 plus years. I can't say how much I appreciate it.

It all started with a fishing trip on Patrick's Cold Water for ling cod. Steve and I started to have a conversation about elk hunting. We swapped hunting stories and I told him I had been building points for quality tags and had 8 quality bull points. He recommended I put in for the Observatory tag, so with 8 points I figured it was worth a shot. Apparently it takes an average of 7 points to draw the Observatory quality bull archery tag (the tag I ended up drawing).

May comes around and I apply for all the normal tags. We put in for moose, quality deer, second deer (antlerless) and quality bull. During the week of the draw, I like everyone else was checking the draw results online 3 or more times a day. Once the results were posted, I took a look at the results and I immediately saw I was selected for the quality bull tag. I was so stoked and shaking with excitement when I saw what I drew. My first call was to Steve. When I told Steve what I drew he was just as excited as I was.

I considered myself lucky for drawing this tag and soon discovered the percentage of success for this tag from other tag holders was actually pretty low. I knew we needed to prepare and start early in order to make this hunt a success. In June, I decided to go ahead and research trail cameras. After looking at different reviews, I ended up going with the Browning trail cameras (specifically the Strikeforce HD and Recon Sub Micro series) I'm so glad I went with these cameras. The quality of the images and videos are top notch!

Mid July Steve, his son Christopher, my wife Kristina and I started our round trips to the areas Steve thought were best. Leaving at 4:00 am and getting back home around 7:00 to 8:00 most nights.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

We left the cameras to soak for a few weeks before we headed back over. Steve and I both were busy tuna fishing and living life. We had several conservations pondering what we might see on the cameras when we returned. We planned to head back over on July 31st. When we got back over we discovered we really had no need to move any of our cameras. Just like a game of battleship Trail Cam 1 HIT! Trail CAM 2 HIT! And Trail CAM 3 HIT!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

image.jpeg

Each trip we went over we kept finding more bulls and by the end we had the same bulls on different cameras and we were feeling great. We probably drove over about a half dozen times. Each time it was like sitting around the tree at Christmas in anticipation of the greatest gift you could ever ask for. Even Dr. Tangles came over to help check cameras and carry in goodies.

image.jpeg

Opening weekend was just around the corner and I had planned on getting everything prepared early. However, I ended up getting a call and invite to go on a few fishing trips, including: "Making Tuna fishing great again," out of Llwaco with Tommy, Steve, Josh, Todd, Dave and Patrick. I ended up finding myself scrambling the last few days getting everything packed and ready to go. Definitely won't be doing that again! All in all everything was packed and ready to rock come Friday morning (the day before the hunt).

Friday my buddy Rodd and I headed over to set up camp. Dr. Tangles left early so he could secure us a camping spot. We ended up heading over the pass late morning and after getting the trailer set up we drove up to check cameras in another GMU where the rest of the group would hunt for cows and spikes. While we were checking the first camera, there was a bull that was trying to walk in on us. We didn't want to disturb their patterns, so we decided to back out and let it ride till morning. That evening everyone started to trickle in including my wife Kristina, Steve, and the world famous Tommy Donlin aka Cornfed. That evening I fired up the Traeger and made some tasty elk burgers for everyone in camp. We were in bed somewhat early since the plan was to be up early for opening day.

3:30 am alarms went off with a bang! Everyone was up and getting ready to take off to our different areas. Steve and I went together and we were hiking in the woods at about 4:30 am getting to our determined location as the sun was coming up. Within a few minutes we heard a faint bugle in the distance. Steve responded with a bugle and few cow calls. We could hear elk above us and below us. After a little calling back and forth we could hear a bull below us, you could hear his antlers running into trees. Steve locked eyes on the bull first as he was slipping in not even 20 yards below us. I felt like he was going to come directly into my shooting lane and not stop, so I decided to draw my bow back as his head was behind a tree. At that moment, he looked up. I had to hold my bow back for several minutes to the point I had to let it down. The bull must of caught our scent slightly, as he decided to take off below us. I knew he would stop and turn back as they almost always do when they are unsure of what something is. Sure enough, he stopped about 40-50 yards below us. In that split second, I saw a window of opportunity. I spun and drew my bow from behind the tree, found my mark and released. Immediately we heard a loud whack and knew I had hit him. We let him sit for about an hour and slowly made our way down to where the point of impact was. We immediately found bright red blood. We started tracking him from this point as there was a great blood trail. We ended up tracking him for several yards following good blood. We ended up coming up to a place where he had laid down and there was probably at least a gallon of blood. We most likely kicked him up from that spot and ended up having to search minimal blood spots, most of the time crawling on our hands and knees searching for blood. Next, we came to a creek crossing where he slowed down and started spewing out blood again. That blood quickly fizzled out and we were back on our hands and knees again searching for the smallest specs of blood and smears on brush. We got to a point where it was tough again. I was on my knees with my head looking up at the sky saying please let me find this bull.

At this point, I got up and Steve and I regrouped. Steve ended up getting a hold of Austyn, a young man who hunts with Steve during modern season, but happened to have an archery tag for elk this year. Austyn was only a few hundred yards away from us so we met up and he joined in on the search. I ended up finding the tiniest patch of blood as I was walking back and forth on the road ended up going off my gut instinct. I said, "Bingo!" Following a thicket of brush I walked about 75 yards and holy shit there he was piled up. I let out a yell you could hear for miles. Steve did the same. We were hugging and screaming and blown away by the size of this magnificent beast. Funny thing is, we didn't even have this bull on camera. I immediately saw where my arrow hit and I knew I had severed a main artery causing him to bleed out. I can not say enough about Trophy Taker broadheads. They are by far the best broadheads in my opinion.

We ended up sending Austyn back towards camp and the other GMU to contact the rest of our group. He actually ran back to camp - what an animal! He ended up making radio contact to the rest of our group and brought them all back to help pack out this 800 plus pound bull. Steve and I already had it broke down and in game bags for the most part. 7 of us had him in packs and we slowly made our way down the trail and back out to the truck by 4:30 pm.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This experience is something I will treasure forever. Definitely my all time top hunt for myself. From drawing the tag to putting in the leg work literally! All my friends who were there to share in this experience, I can not thank you all enough for the friendship and support. Also having a wife who was there with me and supports everything I do without hesitation or questioning. Most of all, again to Steve I owe this bull to you and can't wait for many years of hunting to come.

I don't know what I did to deserve so many good people in my life but it feels great. You all Rock!!!

Observatory Bull tag ✔

Montana Dave Over and out!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
What Dave didn't quite point out in the story above is that the bull pegged us as soon as Dave drew back. Either he winded us or saw the movement but either way we ended up in a staring contest for about 2 minutes with the bull mostly behind a tree while Dave was at full draw. Once Dave had to let down, the bull spun, ran back about 15 yards and stopped. The opening Dave had to shoot through was only 12" to 18". All within 1 or 2 seconds, Dave stepped to the left, drew, aimed and let fly. It was not a shot that I could have made in any way and is a testament to the amount of time and work Dave has put in to shooting his bow and getting good at it.

Nothing holds more magic for me than the elk woods... hearing a bull respond to a bugle or cow call, having them come in within yards of me, even their smell. It's been a life long love affair for me and there's not a lot that I'm more passionate about than chasing elk.

Well done and congrats on an incredible shot and a beautiful Bull bud. Thanks for putting some faith in my elk stories. You took a chance applying for a tag in an area you were unfamiliar with and let me be a part of your hunting group... that is gold to me. I couldn't have imagined a better outcome and this couldn't have come at a better time for me since the passing of my long time hunting partner last month.

Now that you've set the bar, next year is my turn to use my 16 points and get that 7x7 with the kickers out each side (he'll have 8x next year i'm sure) . Game on!

oh... and you're welcome for the $1200 taxidermy bill. :)

Wild Bill

Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Excellent work men that is a great bull!

silver slayer

I've posted enough I should'nt have to edit this
May 12, 2009
kitsap county
Name
Josh
Boat
25' starcraft expedition
Awesome work guys and gal! That is one hell of a bull

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
Vacancy
Seems to me that killing somethings with such heavy and inedible body parts would just be a pain in the back to pack out and then a horribly expensive taxidermy bill. Bad planning dude!

I'll stick to the babies.
:finger:

Oh, wait. You had a Cornfed with you to pack it all out. I bet that bastard hauled it out whole. :rockin:

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
Well done sir...but I'm a little disappointed. If I knew Steve was offering up honey holes I would of used my 13 points for bow season ...and why is Tommy packing out the rack. Do they make grundens in camo????

I'm kidding geez...well done guys. Fishing is addictive but there is something truly special about elk camp..I'll take elk camp over fishing any day of the week.

Nice bull buddy, enjoy the memories.

Reactions: Montanadave

Waterdog~

Just one more
Sep 1, 2009
Hollywood
Name
Brian
Boat
Tiderunner
Dave nice work!!!!
As always.... you surround yourself w a great team....

Nosecrets

Blackmouthers good side
Jul 6, 2012
North of seattle
Name
Blackmouther
Boat
9' bullfrog "mr big"
The amount of work you guys put in makes for perfect. Especially how much time you guys allocate tuna fishing. To find time to knock a bull of that caliber down and not miss a beat. Impressive shit guys. The only part of the story i dont quite get is "making tuna great again". Tuna was always great. No one made it great again. Just make sure Cornfed knows there is a limit on elk and his white grundens only work if snows on the ground.