PENN

Hey-19

Aug 31, 2020
HUNTINGTON BEACH
Name
barry skaggs
Boat
C-Dory TomCat
As the year of “firsts” continue for me, we made our first foray into the world of lobster hooping last night in Long Beach Harbor. Having read everything I could on the subject, I decided to start with 5 hoops for the two of us figuring we could work our way up to 10 as our skill and proficiency improved. (Glad I did cause we had our hands full with 5). We had made our “first” trip to Catalina island last week which provided the Bonito for our bait tubes. We elected to fish in shallow water 20-25’ for the first go at it, figuring that it would ease us into the world of net retrieval.

We honestly felt it would be a victory for us to capture and release a short lobster in the hoop, and a legal lobster would likely cause us to faint. So with that, we threw out our first set of 5 hoops at around 6:30, and then commenced retrieval at 7:00. Those first 5 hoops came back clean....We moved down a bit and re-set again, waited 30-40 minutes, pulled our 1st net, empty, but then at the bottom of our 2nd net was a beautiful, thumping legal lobster. We stopped for a group hug, we were giddy like children. In that second set we also got a large spider crab. We moved down a little for the third set and got one more legal. What a great experience!

As a side note, it REALLY helped my comfort level with using radar at night by practicing using it during the day.

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Congratulations I was out there tonight also with
    Some old friends and had smiles all around ending with five nice keepers, keep practicing stay the course we have a great fishery here😉

E35DC26B-29DE-48CD-BE65-BF9612E52796.jpeg

95D7BAB0-47E3-4FF4-B042-0EC831B2956F.jpeg

E447715A-3F81-47B7-93A7-4E517DF46FB6.jpeg

Upvote 0

Zika

Chum-Master
    Aug 17, 2006
    North County
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    21 Bayliner Trophy (Cheap-BassTurd)
    I would say let your set soak a bit longer like an hour or so especially your 1st set if your bait looks untouched move to a different spot. If you had success on a trap place a few more traps in that area!! Good luck and great job !!

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    Traps with the inverted sides require a minimum of an hour soak.

Collapsible hoops that lay flat, only 15-20 minutes. Got to have a good non-hesitant pull from the bottom, then they work great.

Reactions: turn the handle
    Upvote 0

HESBROS

Oct 13, 2005
    Lancaster
    Name
    EDDIE
    Boat
    17 Invader "Casting Queen"
    As the year of “firsts” continue for me, we made our first foray into the world of lobster hooping last night in Long Beach Harbor. Having read everything I could on the subject, I decided to start with 5 hoops for the two of us figuring we could work our way up to 10 as our skill and proficiency improved. (Glad I did cause we had our hands full with 5). We had made our “first” trip to Catalina island last week which provided the Bonito for our bait tubes. We elected to fish in shallow water 20-25’ for the first go at it, figuring that it would ease us into the world of net retrieval.

We honestly felt it would be a victory for us to capture and release a short lobster in the hoop, and a legal lobster would likely cause us to faint. So with that, we threw out our first set of 5 hoops at around 6:30, and then commenced retrieval at 7:00. Those first 5 hoops came back clean....We moved down a bit and re-set again, waited 30-40 minutes, pulled our 1st net, empty, but then at the bottom of our 2nd net was a beautiful, thumping legal lobster. We stopped for a group hug, we were giddy like children. In that second set we also got a large spider crab. We moved down a little for the third set and got one more legal. What a great experience!

As a side note, it REALLY helped my comfort level with using radar at night by practicing using it during the day.
    Very Cool, reminds me of and is very similar to our first hooping adventure.

Upvote 0

WilliamL

Aug 1, 2018
    HB
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    21 WA, nothing special
    So awesome, congrats! I just purchased my first hoops this week, some from Craiglist and 2 brand new set ups. The feedback on BD is priceless and this post answered a few questions I was just about to ask.

I don't need to know spots, but how was the crowd? People cool? For sure use glow sticks?

I hear all sorts of stories, good and bad. Like anything local try and go during the week to avoid the crowds?

Upvote 0

Dhix43

Jul 7, 2016
    OC
    Name
    Derrick
    Boat
    Your’s.
    most people are pretty cool you get the occasional ass hat , Practice good etiquette and don’t set up closer than 50 or so yards to another anglers bouys.

this! Had some guys roll up on us and drop 10 yards from our hoops last weekend, then tried to BS us by saying the lobsters wouldnt crawl where we were set, and encouraged us to move down somewhere else. They then sent a diver to roam around where we were set. We held our ground and got limits, and they eventually left. Unbelievable though. Last night we went out and there was a boat on every spot we wanted to hoop. No biggie. We didn’t bother anybody and gave them their space. Ended up hooping new water and caught 8 legals and a mess of shorts.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Hey-19

Aug 31, 2020
    HUNTINGTON BEACH
    Name
    barry skaggs
    Boat
    C-Dory TomCat
    Thanks for the input on longer soak time! When we go out next week,I’ll give it a full hour. With more soak time we will probably be able to add a few more nets to the line up.

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Timing is everything on your first soak, 30 minutes or so before sundown n let em soak till its good n dark if first set dont produce I usaully give it another soak before moving on, Last night we got one legal on the first set and 5 more legals n 8 shorts 30 minutes later.

Reactions: Shewillbemine
    Upvote 0

SPChamp1

Oct 20, 2017
    San Pedro
    Name
    Cabel
    Boat
    Non
    Yeah we always let them soak for about an hour. We try to get to our spot right before sundown. Over the last couple of years, we have generally seen that if we have some signs of life on the first soak, then the second one usually comes up better. If no life after two soaks, then move them around where the life is on the rest of the string.

I also recommend bathing your bait chunks in some fish oil or using what used to be Gooch Pads. The Gooch Pad company got caught up in some legal action and are no longer in business but there is at least one other company selling those “pads”.

Reactions: Shewillbemine
    Upvote 0