Nineball

That's a keeper!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
Just bought new t9.9. Had initial problems with a brand new motor (major failure on first start). Dealer took a while but came through with another new motor. Went crabbing with it over the last few days. Enjoying the crap out of it.
Then I go to retrieve pots tonight and quickly found out the wind was kicking and my pots wanted to migrate elsewhere -gone!
Well I search for a bit and head back in only to hear an odd hum as I approached the ramp. Look back to make sure the pee stream was good and- F&ck me sideways- Spittin steam! Dropped down to idle and she died. I cleared this baby piece of kelp off the intake and cross fingers it starts. It did start and I let it idle to cool down. Then brang it home.
Changed the oil. A little dark but no sign of bearing failure. Now the oil light is out. I'm thinking rings. Any other opinions/experiences? It sure did happen quick. Where's the hi-temp shutdown on these expensive rigs?

I work on everything and not scared to crack into it. That's not the premise. At least I had my boys making me crab dinner and cake/ice cream.

T2shortB

Nice fanny pack Fag!!!
Jul 6, 2009
Belfair, WA
Name
Todd Brown
Boat
Defiance 250EX GOT FISH?
The oil Light on the front lower cowling? That should not be lit up unless there is a loss of oil pressure. It is a warning light, not a "it goes out if there is a problem light" Do a compression check to see if there was ring damage. I would bet that you are fine other than toasting your impeller or at least taking most of the life away from it. If any severe engine damage was done, you would have heard some noise. I would also keep a close eye on my oil to make sure the head gasket survived. Does it pee fine now? Stay at temp? any harmonic sounds while running?

T2shortB

Nice fanny pack Fag!!!
Jul 6, 2009
Belfair, WA
Name
Todd Brown
Boat
Defiance 250EX GOT FISH?
You are right down the road from me, I have a compression test gauge you can use.

Reactions: Devilphish

Nineball

That's a keeper!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
I wish that were the case.

Quote from manual:
Low oil pressure warning indicator

The oil pressure lamp is on when the engine is running and oil pressure is normal. If oil pressure drops too low, the lamp goes off. As an additional alert of the low oil pressure condition, the engine runs roughly and will not exceed about 2000 rpm.

If the oil lamp goes out or does not come on when the engine is running, stop the engine as soon as it is safe to do so. Check oil level

-----------
Pee stream is fine. Haven't tried revving past 2000 rpm's yet. My calibrated nose tells me the exhaust is no longer 3-star CARB compliant. Seized rings still seems logical.

I have compression gauge. I will give it a go maybe tomorrow

Reactions: cacahuates

Tom Kim

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 5, 2008
Fairfield CA
Name
Tom
Boat
Grady White 272 Sailfish
was there suppose to be a break in period? take it back to the dealer again. let them figure it out.. you are spending big money, you should receive the service and reliability you deserve

Nineball

That's a keeper!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
Procedure for 4-stroke models

Run the engine under load (in gear with a propeller installed) for 10 hours as follows. 1. First hour:
Run the engine at 2000 r/min or at approximately half throttle.

1. Second hour:

Run the engine at 3000 r/min or at ap-proximately three-quarter throttle.

2. Remaining eight hours:

Run the engine at any speed. However, avoid operating at full throttle for more than 5 minutes at a time.

3. After the first 10 hours:

Operate the engine normally.

----------------

I was following this pretty good. Scooting around close out of olalla. I'm an honest guy and I can admit there was intake blockage. I just find it hard to believe that mine is the only one to get kelp around the pickup.

Heck I was actually having a hard time not watching it because I was pretty proud of my first piece of brand new equipment!

It sucks because they told me the first engine mishap was 1 in 1000 so I already felt bad about how things went. Now, it's not manufacturing defect.....just bad luck. Somebody needs to add safeties/shutdowns to these buggers. I'd go with them....this yami rocked tho!

Reactions: SureThing
O

oldfisherman#1

Sounds like you need to take this one back to the dealer also...good luck.

NWGuy

Kid's smiles are the best!
Jul 31, 2009
Lake Tapps
Name
Bryan Grant
Boat
16', ancient, money pit
Major BUMMER!