Happiness is a dry bilge!

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by BCTony, Mar 30, 2017.

1. z1nonlyone

z1nonlyone Newbie

Name:
    chris bergstedt
    Boat:
    North River 2700s
    thanks for all your help guys! I am going to call my dealer tomorrow. They sold the boat to the original owner and then sold it to me. They know the boat. Lets see how this works out! Since I am not the original owner, the warrantee on the hull is not in effect... A north river policy. The engines are, but not the hull. I guess I could whine about the integrity of the warrantee, but I don't know what good it would do. If something like a cracked hull is found,,,then the game is on.

2. Chasin' Tail

Chasin' Tail ~Jumpers!!~ <*)))><

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    17' Thor-Built Sled, 27' NorthRiver OS
    My guess is a leak in one of your water pickups. Either the one to the wash down or the bait tank.
    Did you pull the access floor under the back panel & examine those connections?

Or open the access on the OS bracjet & see if you see water tricking in around motor mounts or the bilge drain plug?

Since your last water intrusion incident, your auto bilge pump may have been evacuating water to keep the level low.

3. goatram

goatram Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest

Name:
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat:
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Chris my boat is not dry in the bilge. I have 5 pumps on board for the 4 compartments. With a spare pump wired to plug into a Scotty plug with enough hose to reach the side. She is moored for a couple of months at a time.

My leak/leaks are connected to my bait tank/pump set up. I close my seacocks when I'm done with the weekend fishing. I do have a Promariner 40 amp charger that charges 3 banks. I have her connected to shore power with that galvanic Isolator.

Look up Fraser Founders in Marysville Washington for their weld in screw down hatches for your offshore bracket. That plastic POS that NR installs is a screaming Leaker.

PS I'm not swimming under my boat at the dock. I'm scared of the Sealions that stare at you while your cleaning up or doing maintenance. Fuck that shit. Dumb dog don't know better; she'll jump in after bitching at em. Labs!

Nick Rudnick and z1nonlyone like this.
  4. Realdeal

Realdeal Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    25’ NR OS
    I’m wondering how many have replaced the black plastic hatch access panels with the weld on type goat is talking about. I don’t leave my boat in the water for extended periods time. With that being said I always have a little water covering the access panel on the motor bracket. I don’t have a dry bildge, there always seems to be about a 1/2 gallon of water.

5. z1nonlyone

z1nonlyone Newbie

Name:
    chris bergstedt
    Boat:
    North River 2700s
    I appreciate all the comments! I called my dealer today and he/they were very supportive and concerned. They are looking for the nearest service center to my location and will call me back asap.

bigdood and goatram like this.
  6. z1nonlyone

z1nonlyone Newbie

Name:
    chris bergstedt
    Boat:
    North River 2700s
    Yea, those hatches are pretty flimsy. They have a oring, but don't fit tight enough to compress it in my opinion. Luckily, they are above the normal waterline.

7. goatram

goatram Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest

Name:
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat:
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    https://www.fraserbronze.com/product/inspection-hatch-round/

Inspection-Hatch-Round-300x201.jpg

https://www.fraserbronze.com/product/inspection-hatch-rectangular/

Inspection-Hatch-Rectangular-300x201.jpg

https://www.fraserbronze.com/product/strainer-scoop/

Strainer-Scoop-300x201.jpg
    Fraser Foundry casts all of their products on site along with doing the machine work right in house. Your local Welder can weld them up if you can't.

Chris here is the hatches I use. They have screws that use Orings on them cost extra but. I put Corrosion Preventive grease on them and screw them down. I have 4 of the rectangle ones on the boat. 3 on my swim step and one over my fuel tank connections. Next year I will put another one down over my SB Engine Connection. The Scoop Strainer is welded over you water pickup. There is two sizes I have two one of each size on mine. The Smaller one will suffice for a 1.5" thru hull.

FINATIC 21, z1nonlyone and TonyG like this.
  8. z1nonlyone

z1nonlyone Newbie

Name:
    chris bergstedt
    Boat:
    North River 2700s
    Well, I found something. When I had my big problem with all the water in the bilge, the main fish hold was flooded. I drained it that day and the next day my bilge was "dry". Yesterday I filled all fish holds while the boat was on the trailer and noticed water running out of the bilge. It wasn't quite a steady stream, but a fast drip. I drained the fish holds one at a time until only the main was filled. after I drained that one, the leak stopped. I filled it again and the drip resumed. Using some food color dye, I eventually found a pin hole in one of the welds in the main fish hold that was leaking. I have to assume that this is the culprit! Any easy fix if it is.

9. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    I think if I had a moored NR, I would make a point to leave the big fish box emptied when I left the boat.Just so you don’t give the elements a head start on sinking the boat. Glad you found a smoking gun!

TonyG likes this.
  10. z1nonlyone

z1nonlyone Newbie

Name:
    chris bergstedt
    Boat:
    North River 2700s
    Yes, I agree. I guess it was "out of sight, out of mind" since I had flooded it the weekend before when halibut fishing. I will make sure all fish holds are dry from now on when moored or berthed for a amount of time!

goatram likes this.
  11. BCTony

BCTony Member

Name:
    Anthony Harvey
    Boat:
    Hoochie Koo II
    I have just found this update of my original post. In my case I replaced all of the plastic deck hatches with weld-on type metal hatches. For the deck hatches I used the same type as recommended by Goatram but for the engine-pod hatch I used a far more expensive Freeman 8" Compression Hatch. The hatches recommended by Goatram (and used by North River) seal very well but are screw-down and my experience with water ingress until then suggested that I needed to be able to access the engine-pod more readily. The problem with the Freeman Hatch was that it no-one seemed to know how to correctly adjust it to seal. I had several marine technicians who proclaimed knowledge adjust it at $120 an hour but it still leaked. All were over-tightening the adjustment which when correct is an easy hand twist.

My boat is fitted with side fish-boxes in addition to the huge main fish-box. Initially leakage into the bilge was also from the these side fish-box valves. This was fixed but still water in the bilge. Then the deck hatches were changed. Still water in the bilge. Then the engine-pod hatch changed still water in the bilge. It was driving me crazy!!! Accompanied by unhelpful comments like 'you will always get water in the bilge; it can't be helped' and 'it's probably condensation'.

Eventually I was able to determine that the main culprit was deck soft-pad covering the fuel tank. Why this panel is called a soft-pad I have no idea. The boat was returned to North River with the proviso of 'do not return it to me if it still leaks'. North River replaced the soft pad and of course there was still some leakage. I replaced the Freeman hatch gasket and then correctly adjusted and after this went through a whole Pacific North West spring with the boat in moorage - and no water whatsoever into the bilge. Eureka!

I thought I had it cracked. Then the boat was out of the water for a re-wire and when returned to moorage and it rained - it leaked. GRRRH! Just like everybody said it would. GRRRRH! The electrician promised that he had not needed to disturb a hatch or remove a panel. I was almost homicidal - it fucking leaked! Not a lot - about a cupful every time I looked - which I then tried to break the habit of doing. It becomes obsessive! This small amount of leakage continued throughout the rest of summer, fall and winter, but …….. as temperatures rose this spring all of a sudden no water whatsoever in the bilge a state which continues. Obviously expansion / contraction is involved and I suspect I know where.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    goatram likes this.