Hammerhead Shark! Caught & Released - Channel Islands

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by BigPlay, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Viva El Nino!!! Was on a good bonita/yellowtail bite when my buddy brought up a nicer grade bonita that was half chewed. No dogs in sight, meant one thing. Sharks! - But what kind?

A few minutes later this hammerhead swam right up to the swim deck looking for more. Totally nuts! Finning the water like Jaws. I grabbed the 80lb stick, tossed on the shark rig and drifted a whole bonita. A few minutes later we were hooked up and going for a wild ride. I fought it for about 30 minutes, got it to the boat (along with the $100 worth of power-pro I didn't want to give up and cut it loose. It was a scalloped hammerhead, they are legal to take as far as I know, but we didn't feel like dealing with a 7ft pissed off hammerhead shark mid way through a 2 day yellowtail trip. It lived to fight another day and/or eat a scuba diver. What a Trip! I have some great video and will post it later.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Views: 2,490

Evan Feely, json, reel loco and 5 others like this.
  2. reel man

reel man Common sense

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    Spirit of Adventure
    That spread head was a little far north and west from where it normally resides. What was the surface temp out there, and were you near Cruz?

3. ivane068

ivane068 Professional hide and seek player..

Name:
    Ivan
    Boat:
    Parker 2520 Fin Reaper
    Very cool

4. Temp was71 degrees. Fishing the gap between anacapa and santa cruz. was closer to the santa cruz side

5. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Stefan
    Boat:
    Mako 224 CC, FULL RACK
    Very common right now, some big ones down here too.

6. Riding High

Riding High Professional Curmudgeon

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Parker 2120 - Riding High
    That's really cool. I like to fish for sharks but for some reason Hammerheads freak me out; they are just weird. Nice job on the C&R.

7. When we first spotted it, it swam right to the boat and did not care about us one bit. It willingly took a drifted bait and was swimming on the surface the entire time. Very aggressive for sure.. The most creepy part was the shark was a good 75 yards away from the boat finning on the surface when I tossed the bait in the water. When it heard/felt/saw the splash it immediately doubled back to the boat. It that was a snorkeler, it would have been a bad day. Incredible fighters. My Talica 16 was locked down and it was still pulling drag like i had it on free spool. I'm fairly convinced I only got it to the boat because it was curious to see if we had anymore bonita and let me haul it in. It was otherwise dead weight or just peeling drag.

8. bajaandy

bajaandy Condition One

Name:
    Andy
    Boat:
    Parker 2530 "WET-O's"
    Has anyone ever eaten one of those things? Are they any good? I checked the DFG regs and there is no listing for hammerheads. Cool for C&R I guess.

9. I've had them before, but caught in the Gulf. Same species of shark though. They taste amazing if cooked correctly. You need to soak the meat for a couple hours in lemon water and change it a few times to leech the urea out. From there you can grill it up like swordfish. Firm, flakey, super mild and holds any marinade or sauce you put on it. Similar to thresher.

NO WHINERS likes this.
  10. hendo7

hendo7 jackass

Name:
    NEIL
    Boat:
    25 downeastern pilot house
    nice report

BigPlay likes this.
  11. MarktheShark56

MarktheShark56 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Skipjack 22
    Harmless to divers, even the big ones (sharks, not divers). I've been in the water with 'em many times in Baja and a few times around here.

12. marlyn

marlyn I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Good luck with that!

rhamilton210, SoCalAvet and BigPlay like this.
  13. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    With all the Makos around I'd rather eat one you don't have to mess with so they don't taste like piss/blue shark. Hammers are unpredictable just like a tiger.

14. Big Bird

Big Bird Newbie

Name:
    Carlos Contreras
    Boat:
    Regal runabout 21
    Johnlgarrison and marlyn like this.
  15. bas13

bas13 ...

Name:
    bas13
    Boat:
    Looking
    very cool!

16. Matto

Matto Newbie

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    15ft Bellboy Spongebob
    The guy that got bit --probably did not know they are harmless to divers

17. Yea, I dont buy that for a second. Anyone who has ever spearfished knows how menacing and aggressive something as cute and harmless as a small harbor seal could be. If its hungry, and thinks you could be food, it's certainly going to try to eat you or whatever you have in your hands.

18. Team Ball's Out

Team Ball's Out Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ray Collier
    Boat:
    23' Sea Swirl Striper
    Hooked into one Wed. off the domes!

BigPlay likes this.
  19. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Member

Name:
    Karl
    Boat:
    A 51, a 32, an Avon, , and a couple paddle boards :)
    got a double on tuna between 182 and clemente, and a 7 foot hammerhead followed the fish to the boat .. I would dive with them as they are mean when they are hungry, Hammerheads do attack humans and you can goodgle and see that the navy used to consider them the third most dangerous shark after whites and tigers, but now there are higher sharks on the list