Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Not Blown-up Yet!"
Last time out fishing with my daughter a few weeks ago we got a 1/2 scoop of anchovies for bait. About 200 3-5" fish. Needless to say we used only a portion of those fish. Since I'm going fishing for a full week in BOLA in May, I decided to salt-brown sugar cure the remaining bait for use down there. Well, I tried them out today about 5 miles out of San Diego Bay. After a few mis-hooks she comes up to the surface fighting and head-shaking all the way up. 36"/22lbs.

Upvote 0

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
Temecula
Name
Mackerel Marauder
Boat
18' Stringari Skiff
Cool!! If u dont mind sharing your recipe...how exactly do you salt/brownsugar your chovies. And secondly, are u just dropper looping or three waying 'em down there all dead and salted up??! Thanks

Upvote 0

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Not Blown-up Yet!"
The cure is 50:50 salt and brown sugar. Buy a 25lb bag of salt at Smart & Final or another package store. Mix cure. In a bucket put 1" of cure. Line the bait straight in a row as many as you can in a single layer to fill the 1st layer. Cover with 1/2" cure. Repeat until all bait is covered in rows. Cover last baits with 1" of cure. Place bucket in a cooler in the shaded backyard or garage to age. There is no smell. They should be ready in a week and good for awhile. They will stay straight and firm and harder to pull off hooks than live. Take out as needed. I put them in a zip lock. Not a good as live but better than no bait. Ill be bringing them down the end of May to BOLA along with 15 lbs of frozen squid. I'll be targeting 1-3 lb bottom fish there.

I used a 2-loop surf leader with 2/0 hooks and a 8oz cigar sinker. Pretty much what I use when I fish the Whistler area and in Baja. At Walmart or sporting goods store I look for 30-40 lb surf leaders. For Snell-type hooks I prefer the 12" leaders, 25lb minimum, with long shanked 2/0 hooks with a red bead that slides up the leader. You will be surprised at the size of a fish that will bite on a 4" anchovy with action. So be prepared for the big one when it happens!

Upvote 0

RyanErb

Love to fish!
  • Aug 7, 2012
    All over the 805
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    OnTheWater
    Wow, nice flattie, on dead bait to boot!!

You think all that works any more around here is live, glad to see you proved us wrong!

(Now thinking of it, tuna were eating sardine chunks last year... haha)

Upvote 0

Second Row

You Should Have Been Here Yesterday
    Aug 8, 2008
    Newport
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    21' Grady White - Rusty Hook
    That's a tight light butt Howie!

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
    Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    The cure is 50:50 salt and brown sugar. Buy a 25lb bag of salt at Smart & Final or another package store. Mix cure. In a bucket put 1" of cure. Line the bait straight in a row as many as you can in a single layer to fill the 1st layer. Cover with 1/2" cure. Repeat until all bait is covered in rows. Cover last baits with 1" of cure. Place bucket in a cooler in the shaded backyard or garage to age. There is no smell. They should be ready in a week and good for awhile. They will stay straight and firm and harder to pull off hooks than live. Take out as needed. I put them in a zip lock. Not a good as live but better than no bait. Ill be bringing them down the end of May to BOLA along with 15 lbs of frozen squid. I'll be targeting 1-3 lb bottom fish there.
    !

Nice Halibut!
    Been using frozen bait for years. As the day goes on they do get mushy though. I'll have to try your recipe.
    Salted chovies/Sardines have to be rinsed slightly. After a week of curing you do freeze yours right?

Upvote 0

High n Dry

Dec 13, 2003
    Poway
    Visit site
    Name
    J.T.
    Boat
    24 Skipjack" JT's special T"
    Nice Halibut!
    Been using frozen bait for years. As the day goes on they do get mushy though. I'll have to try your recipe.
    Salted chovies/Sardines have to be rinsed slightly. After a week of curing you do freeze yours right?
    Last time out fishing with my daughter a few weeks ago we got a 1/2 scoop of anchovies for bait. About 200 3-5" fish. Needless to say we used only a portion of those fish. Since I'm going fishing for a full week in BOLA in May, I decided to salt-brown sugar cure the remaining bait for use down there. Well, I tried them out today about 5 miles out of San Diego Bay. After a few mis-hooks she comes up to the surface fighting and head-shaking all the way up. 36"/22lbs.

Way to go Dennis nice fish. Good man sharing info. Hope to see or fish with you soon. JT

Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    I put them in a zip lock. Not a good as live but better than no bait. Ill be bringing them down the end of May to BOLA along with 15 lbs of frozen squid. I'll be targeting 1-3 lb bottom fish there.

I used a 2-loop surf leader with 2/0 hooks and a 8oz cigar sinker. Pretty much what I use when I fish the Whistler area and in Baja. At Walmart or sporting goods store I look for 30-40 lb surf leaders. For Snell-type hooks I prefer the 12" leaders, 25lb minimum, with long shanked 2/0 hooks with a red bead that slides up the leader. You will be surprised at the size of a fish that will bite on a 4" anchovy with action. So be prepared for the big one when it happens!

Thanks for the info. I am heading down the baja coast for some yak fishing in May and will be taking these salted baits with your recipe.

Your Cabo trim is kick ass!

Upvote 0

Latest posts