halibut troughs

Discussion in 'Surf Fishing Reports' started by lovefofish, Aug 23, 2010.

1. cmar

cmar Newbie

Name:
    C mar
    Boat:
    nope
    They are few and far between in open beach breaks. Need to find places they can relax and find prey. If you have ever been walking around and found the deep hole right off the beach, or the flat area between the inside and outside breaks that have lots of holes, that's the spot. Arrive at low tide to see the pock-holed flats. The trough right off the beach is easy to spot. Rips are good also, and diving birds, even if you can reach them, the bait is sometimes bore scattered than the birds.
    I fish the open beach breaks because I often cant make the drive to places with better structure.
    Ive gone many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many trips without a halibut, then caught 3 or four in a trip.
    but even just throwing the LC you will be surprised what will eat it. Ive caught the largest surf perch, corbina and yellow fin croaker , and even a bonito once in Bolsa area casting 200 ft shy of some terns.

I fish 20lb braid straight to a LC, but will use 8-12 lb fluro or mono leader for drop shot and swim baits.