halibut troughs

Discussion in 'Surf Fishing Reports' started by lovefofish, Aug 23, 2010.

1. lovefofish

lovefofish Peanut Gallery

Name:
    Drew
    Boat:
    15' whaler
    hey,my name is Drew and have been fishing for hali's in the surf for a few months now.I still think I am fishing empty water.If some one can take a picture or explain a little in detail about these troughs,how to find them ,and what to throw in them.

my usual rig is a sahara 4000fd matched with a 7' volterous rod.

I usually fish 8# test but moving to 6# floro.

I fish sardine,white,and pretty much every other color LC 110 flash minnows.
    also what my usual is a split shot with a mosquito hook and small surf smelt.
    or a zuke super fluke (pearl white) drop shot.

any info is greatly appreciated.

2. Bank Robber

Bank Robber Hyperbolist

Name:
    Dean
    Boat:
    F/V Bank Robber
  3. Jigonometry

Jigonometry Newbie

4. Ultimate Catch

Ultimate Catch One life to live!!

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    Sea swirl Striper
    I got this "butt" on squid, triangle 3oz, 12# and just launched past the 2nd break and I was on. It was caught at SILVER STRAND STATE BEACH in san diego.

downsized_0324001100.jpg

cortezpirasea likes this.
  5. Jig Strike

Jig Strike . . . new and improved

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    Ho Ho Ho
    Well, your location is 'California'.

If you want specifics, give specifics.

6. lovefofish

Name:
    Drew
    Boat:
    15' whaler
    nice man.

7. atfish

atfish Newbie

Name:
    michael
    Boat:
    none
  8. Knotch

Knotch Newbie

ive been fishing for Halibut as well,
    I have hit up the following beaching using my bottom feeder rigs, surf rigs, and BIGGAMMER lures with a trap hook.

Sunset beach, Bolsa chica, Mission bay, Newport beach, and just today i went out to san onofre state beach.

I spent a good 4 1/2 hours there and for 3 of those hours i was using a Carolina rig, with a plastic worm with anchovy bait scent. Then i switched to my big hammer after i lost 2 Carolina rigs with a snag. THE SURF WAS ROUGH, and it has been due to some hurricanes happening far away. Well at least thats what a surfer told me. I'm going to wait till next week to go back to surf fishing. He claims it will calm down.
    Although i have found many places where the pearch are sitting. I just haven't caught any yet :*(.

i have been catching sandsharks and rays though hahahaah
    at mission beach i caught some decent size sea bass. yum yum

9. lovefofish

Name:
    Drew
    Boat:
    15' whaler
    nice man , we should set a day where we go to bolsa chica or hunnington there is good structure there

10. Knotch

Knotch Newbie

Yea i'm down. I have all this week off. And i can drive i don't mind :p

Or we can meet out there. I live really close to both of those beachs. I want to head out to bolsa chica in the morning sometime soon. But in all honesty it might be a bad time. This surfer was telling about some hurricanes that are making the Surf almost un-fishable, un-surfable, and dangerous. And even though a lot of them occurred days ago, its just now hitting the surf.

For instance. Today my pal calls me and tells me him and his dad are going to hit up hunington beach pier. And i'm down so i go, figuring that at the front of the pier you can catch some perch with fresh muscle or a plastic and some bait scent. ANYWAYS the point is the swells were hitting 5-6ft, and Breaking from 3/4ths down the pier. just Crashing down on the beach and into the support beams of the pier. Overall it was a skunk, i had to move to the back of the pier and fish with standard 2 hook surf rig with a 2 ounce pyramid due to those clashing waves. AND still my line was knocked all around. i used my Carolina rig on the side of that pole and got some strikes without getting a hook on one :(. a skunk time over all. It was nice just being on the pier though haha

It's suppose to really die down on Friday though, so hopefully I'll be able to hit up bolsa chica at the crack of dawn and stay out there till i hook one :p

I'm probably just going to get stuff ready for Halibut and Surf perch, I'm going to bring out my 5ft rod and my 8Lb braided test, with the Carolina rig and look for troughs. SO Drew im down if someone else is down to coast up and down the shore with some light tackle. My friends are bad fishermen and are impatient and need me to tie there knots all the time, so it gets tiring with TOTALLY un-experienced people.
    so PM me we'll schedule a trip. Plus i know 2 troughs at Bolsa, I did some studying last time i was there haha

11. bsp

bsp Member

Name:
    Marc
    Boat:
    None
    If you find a trough, dropshot it with Zoom Flukes on 2/0 straight shank hooks and 3/8oz or 5/8 weight. Hit the beach up at a lower tide as the troughs will be more visible. Find a nice outer sandbar for easy trough locating and work between it and the beach. If there aren't any sandbars, like others have said, watch to see where the waves aren't breaking close in or just lay down for a bit and work there. I can't give any structure updates as I moved in at college last week, but Huntington traditionally gets some very, very deep troughs that hold good size fish. Work it thoroughly and you guys should have some success. I'd be glad to help out if you have anymore questions.

Tight lines,

Marc

12. Knotch

Knotch Newbie

thanks marc, I'll definitely hit you up if i have anymore questions :D

13. lovefofish

Name:
    Drew
    Boat:
    15' whaler
    hey i think we are heading down to bolsa on sunday.

14. eddier68

eddier68 Member

Name:
    Eddie R.
    Boat:
    fish n dive/mini x
    What Marc said although i caught this one on a megabait. ( baja)

Attached Files:

15. bsp

bsp Member

Name:
    Marc
    Boat:
    None
    Eddie, nice Baja flattie! Megabaits are good surf lures and I should fish them more, along with Krocadiles when there are deep troughs and channels. Small swimbaits on 3/8oz leadheads are fun too.

Also, LFF, stick with the 8lb and up for halibut hunting. Once you get down past it, you'll have a very exciting time trying to land larger fish. Not saying it can't be done, but they aren't too line shy in the open surf environment, and your bait won't benefit from the extra movement of 6lb as there will be quite a bit of current. I use 8lb and the other guys I fish with say that's light. I'll bump up to 10lb fluoro once I swap out my line.

Knotch, no worries.

16. lovefofish

Name:
    Drew
    Boat:
    15' whaler
    ok,ok 8lb it is :( just spent freakin 15$ on 6lb 300 yards

17. Ultimate Catch

Ultimate Catch One life to live!!

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    Sea swirl Striper
    I've gotten them on 25# as well. it is hard for them to see the line in the surf. and a little heavy line is better in the surf IMO.

18. Mr. Fish

Mr. Fish Native San Diegan

Name:
    Keith
    Boat:
    14' crestliner angler
    I just stick to the rips at the higher tides and look for dark water at low tides. What lure you use is just a matter of what you have confidence in or are willing to pay for (in some cases $23/lure). I use a 5/8 Kastmaster or Kroc ($3/ea.). 1/2 ounce swim baits in smelt/grunion pattern ($1.75/ea.) work as well. Carolina rigged weedless baits for the salad work also.

I use 12 magnathin (like I did for this one at an undisclosed local beach) or 20# Power Pro with a 20# Flouro leader just in case the leos want to play. They are a bit of a load on 12# as I found out when I caught 4 one day at the same beach. All on Kastmaster and 12#. Started taking my 20# set-up from then on.

10 lb. Black's butt.jpg

19. lovefofish

Name:
    Drew
    Boat:
    15' whaler
    ok so ill fish 12# izor on saturday

20. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Newbie

Name:
    Betelgeuse
    Boat:
    Stratos
    My experience has been in a big swell and surf the halibut move out deeper. You can go a long time and catch none, then bam, bam, bam. I haven't tried it but I heard it can be good when the grunion are running. I have had the most luck on 4" swim baits .Good Luck and post em if you catch em.