Norcalfish80

Almost A Member
Aug 24, 2011
California
Name
Austin
Boat
Boston Whaler Montauk
I am looking for a new rod and reel specifically suited for fishing(mostly drifting, for halibut and striper in the Bay Area. I'm wondering what you use mostly and what you'd recommend. Thanks!

Upvote 0

DoubletroubleII

Fish On!
Nov 18, 2008
Placerville, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
19' Harbercraft
Drifting and bounce balling for Butts does not take a lot of finesse, I use a under $80 rod......Shakespeare Ugly stick. For stripers I would use the same thing but I use the spin caster version of Ugly Stick with a spinning reel in case I change up and want to cast bait to the reeds or rocks.

Reactions: Norcalfish80
Upvote 0

jvillain904

Almost A Member
Oct 31, 2007
vacaville, ca
Name
smitty
Boat
none
Drifting/trolling for halibut I use a penn 209 and a 7 foot rod with a soft tip. soft tip aids in better bite detection and allowing your rod to load as the halibut takes the anchovie or shiner. I use the penn because you really don't need much drag, if the fish runs let it. For Striper if we are bouncing the rocks or specifically targeting striper I use a 7 foot rod and a saltist 30 reel becuase the bite and drift over rockpiles is so fast and you must be in constant contact with your gear and the bottom to not get snagged, set the hook and pull the striper away from the rocks.

Smitty

Reactions: Norcalfish80
Upvote 0