Halibut rod for electric reels

MatthewJ

Dec 25, 2015
Snohomish
Name
Matthew
Boat
North River Seahawk
What kind of rod is everyone using for there deep water halibut rods with Diawa 750’s. I am thinking Ugly stick tiger 100-200 heavy wondering everyone’s opinions. Thanks

Upvote 0

t_dub

I remember when I used to fish.............
Jan 3, 2010
Kenmore
Name
Ty
Boat
20' Hewescraft Searunner
I've used an Okuma SST Halibut rod with my Tanacom the last 4 years. 5'6". Listed for $85 I believe. Rod is inexpensive with a surprisingly sensitive tip but plenty of backbone to snap a 3# pipe jig. Has held up very well.

Upvote 0

fishing fanatic

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 12, 2008
Alger, WA
Name
jason
Boat
28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
10’ medium action mooching stick. Probably a loomis in the 300$ plus range, sensitivity is key when jigging pipes.

I use a Okuma sst as well and love it

• Haha
Reactions: Siv and bdrlgion
Upvote 0

punted coho

Jan 29, 2013
buckley wa
Name
josh
Boat
Yes
Thrasher HTR. Rainshadow ts66mh. I’ll be testing a Thrasher Crowbar this weekend.

Reactions: ☆THRASHER☆
Upvote 0

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
255 BW Conquest “Double Header”
Tons of good American manufacturers if you're into that sort of thing.
I know Jason makes heavier rods if your into that sort of thing but that 7’6” MH that sency mentions above truly does everything. Enough backbone for pipe jigs yet sensitive enough for live bait tuna.
Jason you still doing the tuna cord handle option? I may need to add one or two more to the arsenal before Tuna season.

Reactions: ☆THRASHER☆
TexMojoII
TexMojoII
Just how much sensitivity do you need for tuna? Lol
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
255 BW Conquest “Double Header”
I know Jason makes heavier rods if your into that sort of thing but that 7’6” MH that sency mentions above truly does everything. Enough backbone for pipe jigs yet sensitive enough for live bait tuna.
Jason you still doing the tuna cord handle option? I may need to add one or two more to the arsenal before Tuna season.
I enjoy feeling if the anchovy is still swimming well on a long soak... not every day they get inhaled right next to the boat right?

Upvote 0

☆THRASHER☆

Thrashing Some Rods.
Jul 23, 2014
Renton WA
Name
Jason Champion
Boat
GW 272 sailfish
Yes sir, full on custom with cord handle is totally an option, we're trying to get more budget friendly on a production version of these rods as well.

Upvote 0

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
I just built a couple of Thrasher HTR 60's for this. I'm happy with them... good backbone and enough sensitivity in the tip to tell what's going on down there. Here's a pic of one of them doing work.
DanDoingWork.jpeg

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    that's the norm + best bang for your buck at well under $100.
    Ugly's, are hard to beat, for a Factory Rod, and price, as bdrlgion: say's!

Upvote 0

ledbed6b

Jun 21, 2010
    Shoreline WA
    Name
    Eli
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    I just built a couple of Thrasher HTR 60's for this. I'm happy with them... good backbone and enough sensitivity in the tip to tell what's going on down there. Here's a pic of one of them doing work.View attachment 1283341
    Steve, when did you start fishing with Kid Rock?? Looks like he's let himself go a bit.

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    1621975594270.png

Upvote 0