Halibut on the fly suggestions

Scooter69

Jul 28, 2021
Lemoore
Name
Scott Randall
Boat
Crestliner Superhawk
So, we've been doing well trolling for halibut in San Francisco Bay in about 10-12' of water. We know they are there so now we are trying it luck at fly fishing for halibut in the same area. Any suggestions on set up? We have an assortment of rods up to 10wt, and these California halibut we've been catching on the troll haven't gone above 12#, yet. Type fly, sinking line, etc?

Reactions: flytie
Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
So, we've been doing well trolling for halibut in San Francisco Bay in about 10-12' of water. We know they are there so now we are trying it luck at fly fishing for halibut in the same area. Any suggestions on set up? We have an assortment of rods up to 10wt, and these California halibut we've been catching on the troll haven't gone above 12#, yet. Type fly, sinking line, etc?
Clouser, heavy sinking line. Never tried it but sounds like fun in a protected water area.

What kind of trolling set up are you using?

Upvote 0

DennisV

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
Integrated T-14 line and a big boobie fly dragged on bottom at slack tide.

Upvote 0

Scooter69

Jul 28, 2021
Lemoore
Name
Scott Randall
Boat
Crestliner Superhawk
Thanks for the tips. My wife is a pretty good fly fisherwoman as well as a custom fly rod builder. She built a 10wt TFO for our Canadian pike fishing trip, which unfortunately was cancelled, So, she's trying to catch that world record California Halibut in San Francisco Bay. Oh, didn't you know? There is NO entries for female fly fishing records for California Halibut. That would be cool. Oh, our trolling set-up is hand-tie flies, hoochies tipped with herring, behind a dodger on a 3-way swivel and 8-10oz wts.

Reactions: flytie
Upvote 0

Scooter69

Jul 28, 2021
Lemoore
Name
Scott Randall
Boat
Crestliner Superhawk
She's capable of catching a pretty decent Kenai River salmon on the fly.

fly salmon.JPG

Reactions: pgangler and doccod
Upvote 0

DennisV

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
Thanks for the tips. My wife is a pretty good fly fisherwoman as well as a custom fly rod builder. She built a 10wt TFO for our Canadian pike fishing trip, which unfortunately was cancelled, So, she's trying to catch that world record California Halibut in San Francisco Bay. Oh, didn't you know? There is NO entries for female fly fishing records for California Halibut. That would be cool. Oh, our trolling set-up is hand-tie flies, hoochies tipped with herring, behind a dodger on a 3-way swivel and 8-10oz wts.
Have you fished Pyramid Lake in Nevada for those giant Cutthroats yet?

Upvote 0

Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    Hi! Scooter69 you might not remember me, but you sent me a patch of Elk skin and some other stuff back in the day. I have donated over 500 flies since then to Casting for Recovery and Healing Waters.

Anyways, I wanted to suggest a floating fly on a sink tip also. I caught an 11# Halibut from the surf at New Brighton Beach near Capitola a few years back. It ate a Crease fly on a 4' leader and a T6 head on a 6wt. With the right weighting you can make a Crease fly hang horizontally and with the right dressing of Mohair and flashabou it will imitate a smelt quite well.

Upvote 0