Halibut in SoCal

Discussion in 'Surf Fishing Reports' started by nfd27, Jun 26, 2018.

1. nfd27

nfd27 Newbie

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    1988 17' Mako
    Planning a trip this upcoming spring to San Diego and LA area and looking to try for some halibut from shore. So my question is I've seen the traditional baits seem to be Luckycrafts, Sp minnows, spoons, and live baits. I'm curious if anyone uses any bucktail jigs for them on the west coast. Over on the east coast I spend a lot of time targeting flounder and I'd like to say I'm somewhat decent at it and bucktail jigs are my go to. Now I think its safe to say that both halibut and flounder share predatory similarities being ambush predatory and this method would work. From the information I gathered it does seem the halibut prefer their structure more importantly horizontal structure. I've seen kelp beds, jetties, sea walls, and rocky to sandy bottom transitions are good places to target. Also I'd assume like flounder they like holes or bottom transitions like drop offs. I'm sure where ever I'm suggested to or decide to fish a lot of leg work will be done scouting low tide looking for structure along with holes. Is there a preferred tide to target these fish? I know that for flounder the incoming normally out fishes the outgoing 9 times out of 10.

I am looking to fish what we call a "tap dancer rig". Essentially its a 5-8ft flouro leader with one dropper loop at the end and then another about 6-8" above it. Now from a boat I'll attach the bucktail on the first dropper loop then a long shank hook on the bottom dropper. But for the surf application I will more then likely fish the bucktail jig on the bottom and long shank hook on top. The bucktail jig in the 1-3oz range and would be tipped with a 5-6" swimming mullet and top hook a 4" swimming mullet. As for colors for whatever reason in my experience flounder seem to key in on white so I normally throw that color. Could be it possibly resembles a squid. As for bucktail colors I'll probably fish white but also think that blue spearing colored spro bucktail could pass for a grunion and a sand eel one could pass for a mack. I'd also imagine chartreuse would work. Are there any absolute go to colors for these fish? From what I've seen sticking natural works best. If this technique does not produce too well I will certainly fall back on traditional methods to catch them.

Last does anyone know general areas I should focus on fishing in both San Diego and LA area. Obviously beaches would be my primary target but I've heard some jetties and marinas are good to target. I have seen that some of these areas can get a little sketchy so I'd like to avoid them at any cost. Hopefully with any spots you can send me a PM I'm not looking for anyone to get spot burned.

Sorry for the long winded post but I'd like to have my ducks in a row prior to heading out west. I'm super excited and really looking forward to adding new fish to my list. I appreciate any suggestions, input, or information any one gives.

2. cortezpirasea

cortezpirasea Pangero

Name:
    Russell
    Boat:
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    Don't over think / rig it. I catch them constantly on an 18in leader to a swivel with a bead and a 2 oz egg sinker. Live bait or fresh dead. Squid also seems to work. Orange 3in swim baits. 5in swim baits get bit too. Fish San Diego bay where you can find decent current. Believe it or not some of the biggest come out of the shallowest water.

3. DMcD

DMcD Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis McDougall
    Boat:
    None
    That white stuff works! I like white tubes, rigged drop-shot style.

4. Brass_Slacks

Brass_Slacks Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Hank
    Boat:
    Public
    White jerk shad 5”
    Lucky craft pointers 110

If those don’t work be stoked on the sun you got and try another day.