Halibut fishing....Too Stinger hook or not?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Simon Bon Bowery, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Simon Bon Bowery

Simon Bon Bowery Lizard Fish Hippie

Name:
    Simon
    Boat:
    Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
    that is the question............

First off my son and I consider ourselves conservationists when it comes to fishing.. Our buddy Carl that fishes with us all the time, thinks the same as us. We don't want to harm to much by-catch, IE short butts, sandbass and what not. However, we will eat our targets....

So my question to all of you halibut Guru's. Too stinger or not?

Oh ya, Calico's are tasty......:rofl:

Second Row likes this.
  2. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    NOT!

Trap hooks, treble hooks, trap rigs.......

Not a fan myself, but that's how I was brought up fishing halibut from some of what I consider the best R&R halibut guys in SD (The Binghams).

I like single hooks and keeping it very challenging. I love feeling those solid sharp thumps and knowing a halibut has just grabbed and mouthed your bait and is now sitting on it...... then waiting and very slightly thumbing the spool and pulling the rod back ever so lightly waiting to feel the slight tug back and quickly feeding the halibut line again knowing it's about time to go for it...... then doing the slow count down and hoping when ya swing the hook is set....... GAWD I LOVE THAT!!

There is a great back issue article in the Nov/Dec 2011 Pacific Coast Sportfishing (Travel Issue) by Bob Woodard, in which he picks the brain of local halibut Guru Michael Bingham..... if you get the chance and can get ahold of a back copy, read it, it has some very good info in terms of fishing halibut in a very sporting manor....light line & no trap hooks.

Honestly, fishing them with the single hook method makes them one of the most challenging inshore fish to catch IMO.

The unknown fisherman:p:

flytie likes this.
  3. invictus

invictus AVD

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    X 2 on the PCS article.

4. JFK

JFK Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    14' Livingston skiff
    Up here, trap rigs are the rule. Two size 4 Owner 3X stingers is all I use. That said, we don't have the number of shorts that you guys have down south. I rarely catch an undersized flattie, but if I was catching a decent number of them I would probably stick with single hooks, or maybe use two circle hooks. Even using stingers I can't remeber the last time I gut hooked one. Normally get them right on the chin or inside the mouth. Small trebles are pretty sporty because you never have that much hook in them and need to fish a loose drag or you'll pull hooks. Once the fish is on I'd much rather be using a J hook....Trebles will get you more hook ups but you loose some fish using them because you just never know how well they're hooked. You don't need to swing on them either. Rod holder works best when using trap rigs.

5. sdjfish

sdjfish Deck Ape

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    2320 Parker, Tracker
  6. wildbunch

wildbunch MOFO

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    23' "Hardcore"
    Trap rig with big bait and reel in gear. All mouth hooked and few small ones. Good luck.......:hali_olutta:....MOFO

nefarious235 likes this.
  7. alwaysbendo

alwaysbendo Newbie

Name:
    Vinnnnn
    Boat:
    23' seacraft
    yep..... but if you have chovies just go with a single j hook in the nose

strackle99 likes this.
  8. agarcia

agarcia Member

Name:
    Art Garcia
    Boat:
    rowboat
    Depends on the bait and technique. Trap rigged stinger for sure if I'm bounceballin (herring/anchovies), drifting dead baits (herring, squid), or drifting larger live baits like jacksmelt or baby macs.

If live anchovies/sardines are available its a single j hook....although I've experimented with a single treble and had good results.

9. geomike

geomike Mouth Breather

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    broken
    NOT!

As a diver I've watched halibut feed.

Halibut have large mouths, sharp teeth and are agressive feeders. You really dont need a trap. Legal halibut have no problem sucking in a big brown bait, squid or sardine with one gulp...... so smaller baits are no problem.

Traps catch way too many shorts, especially along the coast in so cal. And the shorts are more likely to be hurt by a trap.... especially a treble, than legal fish.

Like the WSB, we are getting a lot more big halibut thanks to the gill net band.

So please..... No trap hooks for halibut.

thanks,

One_Leg and flytie like this.
  10. polfishski

polfishski Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    20 SkipJack (Tail Chaser)
    I prefer no trap. Extra hook takes away from action of bait . Hard to remove from the shorts too.

11. Simon Bon Bowery

Name:
    Simon
    Boat:
    As far as a Big Bait, what size are you using trap rigs?

Salami sized mackerel?

That has been my/our thoughts on the way the larger Halibut feed.. I just wonder some times, when a bait that was nose hooked only comes up shredded from the gill down.. I know the little ones are probably doing it but, I just wonder sometimes..

12. Simon Bon Bowery

Name:
    Simon
    Boat:

You want to go fishing?<label for="rb_iconid_10">[​IMG]</label>

13. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Instigator General

Name:
    JMH
    Boat:
    Always a good one
    Halibut are ambush predators, they will inhale the entire bait. And certainly by the numbers, the more pointy parts in the fishes mouth, the more likely the fish gets hooked. Nevertheless, trap hooks are a PIA IMO and I can't ever remember losing a fish and then thinking, I wish I had a trap hook. Additionally, trap rigs generally increase the number of potential "weak links", i.e. knots. Regarding bait size, I prefer a nice 6" sardine but I don't think many keeper halibut are going to turn down an easy 10" sardine or mackerel. However, I do recommend that when fishing the bigger baits, fish bigger hooks too, just make sure there's plenty of pointy part to do the work. But! If the fish are targeting 4" anchovy you may be shit outta luck :D

14. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    Be honest. You're pissed because you've been catching fewer Lizards with the big 'dines we've had lately.I know you can't be disappointed over the two 20+ models you've caught in the last few weeks.
    A trap hook will get more of those bait rakin Lizards.....

15. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    I love this reply.... thank you!

I hear ya and know exactly what you mean, but here is a small piece of the PCS article I was talking about. The below aren't my words nor Mike Binghams (Mikes would be even stronger :D).... these are from Bob Woodard who wrote the article in PCS titled "Drifting Up BIG HALIBUT On Light Tackle" Here is a little blurb.....

Trap Hooks

Many anglers use a trap hook in the tail of bait, because halibut fisherman frequently get back-raked or marred baits, some think it's a great addition. It might be - if you are targeting small fish, which cause most of the rakes.

I have, and know others who have, experimented with traps, single, and treble hooks. I believe the upside of the trailer is outweighed by the downside, which is the bait presentation. With a trap hook, the presentation is nowhere near real, and should you belong to an angling club, most will not allow them because the trebles are not IGFA - compliant. Sure, the bounce - ballers use them as they are pounding miles of sand, simply looking for a reaction bite. They pull all kinds of heavy gear around. To me it's not a challenge to catch a halibut with 50 pound test and a 20 ounce sinker, but if you are just looking to fill the freezer, it's an option.

For the drifting application, I do not believe they give you any advantage (unless you target small fish). Halibut can be fickle, especially in clear water, and dropping down in line size and a natural presentation can be the difference to catch a fish or make a day.

Sure, lets go sometime!

Oh, and I think I have a spare Issue of the PCS article I am referring to if you want me to send it to you. Let me know and I will, as it's a great read and refers to the Bingham family who are good friends of mine!

Love this response even more..... Perfectly said IMO!!

It's about three things for me..... first is less harm to the smaller fish, second is a better live bait presentation, and thirdly and most important to me is the sporting aspect of it. I like things to be a bit challenging, and for me halibut are one damn challenging and tough fish to catch by rod & reel, live bait and a single hook...... throw in 15# line or less and that's a whole nother story, but I wouldn't want it any other way....... it's far more rewarding in the end for me, and as I get older I like to show the same different fish I target a bit of mutual respect in the ways I target them. That's not saying I don't ever stray, as once in a very great while I will BB or maybe even mess with a trap rig, but I am talking very very seldom.

The unknown fisherman:p:

16. Simon Bon Bowery

Name:
    Simon
    Boat:
    So, If we were to fish some 12 to 15 inch salami mackerel, would a trap hook be appropriate or a single 8/0 j-hook?

17. Bank Robber

Bank Robber Hyperbolist

Name:
    Dean
    Boat:
    F/V Bank Robber
    I have used trap rigs for years and yep they are a short catcher if you ask me. I'd say 90% of the larger halibut that I've caught have had the front hook in their mouth and the treble either swinging or snagged in the fishes face.

That being said 2 of the best halibut guys I know swear by the trap! Their numbers are closer to 50/50 treble only or both. These guys fish artificial more though as well. It could be technique but I have been fishing more and more without the trap.

18. Bank Robber

Bank Robber Hyperbolist

Name:
    Dean
    Boat:
    F/V Bank Robber
    You don't need a trap just pull the ends together :D

19. Simon Bon Bowery

Name:
    Simon
    Boat:

Outstanding......:rofl:

I still have your hat in the back of my truck......<label for="rb_iconid_12">[​IMG]</label>

20. Bank Robber

Bank Robber Hyperbolist

Name:
    Dean
    Boat:
    F/V Bank Robber
    Don't let it blow out!