Halibut fishing south island

michael e. bingham

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 26, 2015
Name
Pura Vida
Boat
Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
Took a break from bluefin fishing and fished south island by myself Friday for halibut , I caught 5 with 4 of them keepers and kept 2 with the biggest going 23lbs and a 15 pounder , there are so many barracuda , rat yellows and calico bass in the shallows 33 to 49 feet it made it tough too fish flatties, it was non stop pain in the ass but still fun on 12 pound test big game green , I hooked a heartbreak fish and was able to get her 15 feet from the boat , 40 plus pounds but she decided she didn` t want to play anymore and started the head shake dance ant that was that , I was happy I got too see the fish thou , fished same area yesterday with my son inlaw and pretty much the same thing , caught 6 halibut , kept 2 with the biggest just under 30 lbs and no heart break this time , fish in the 30 to 48 feet of water and have fun

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Purr-Sea-Stance / Montauk 170
    Sounds awesome! Thanks for your report. What type of rig are you tying for Halibut and how much weight were you using? I’d like to try that area but have never had much luck with the flat fish.

Upvote 0

michael e. bingham

May 26, 2015
    Name
    Pura Vida
    Boat
    Sounds awesome! Thanks for your report. What type of rig are you tying for Halibut and how much weight were you using? I’d like to try that area but have never had much luck with the flat fish.
    I was using a 3 ounce sinker , I use a crane swivel to a 8 inch leader to a 3 way thundermist swivel that I order from Canada , the best 3 ways made , I have a 15 to 18 inch sinker leader and my bait leader is 5 to 7 feet , this rig will never tangel no matter how fast the drift is , I use big game triline 12 or 15 pound test , I try to keep my leaders as stright as possible and big game has very little memory

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    I was using a 3 ounce sinker , I use a crane swivel to a 8 inch leader to a 3 way thundermist swivel that I order from Canada , the best 3 ways made , I have a 15 to 18 inch sinker leader and my bait leader is 5 to 7 feet , this rig will never tangel no matter how fast the drift is , I use big game triline 12 or 15 pound test , I try to keep my leaders as stright as possible and big game has very little memory
    I know you have this dialed.
    How do you land the fish with a 6' leader?
    I'm visualizing swivel at tip and fish too far to reach with gaff.
    Walk it up the side?
    I'm familiar with your boat. I've fished on it with your nephew. In fact I was there for Wyatts inshore slam.
    Thank you btw😁

Reactions: michael e. bingham

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Purr-Sea-Stance / Montauk 170
    Thanks very much! That sounds very detailed and dialed in. Would love to see a photo if you have a minute to post?

Upvote 0

michael e. bingham

May 26, 2015
    Name
    Pura Vida
    Boat
    I know you have this dialed.
    How do you land the fish with a 6' leader?
    I'm visualizing swivel at tip and fish too far to reach with gaff.
    Walk it up the side?
    I'm familiar with your boat. I've fished on it with your nephew. In fact I was there for Wyatts inshore slam.
    Thank you btw😁
    I run my leader from the first guide from the tip of the rod all the way to the reel , iv`e been fishing this way for over 40 years , sometimes I have to back up a little bit for the gaff , I fish with a lot of scope which is why I prefer the longer leader , iv`e been lucky enough to fish with the same group of guys for over 50 years and these guys are awesome halibut fishermen and wevall fish the same way , every year in and out we land several fish ovet 30 lbs and 2 to 5 fish over 40 and the last couple of years we landed halibut over 50 lbs , this is all on 12 to 15 pound test , we start our halibut season in December fishing in 98 to 128 feet of water and we pay attention to the water temp and as it goes up we move in to shallower water , so try longer leaders if you like , I know its been good too my family for a lot of years , I think this is the most information iv`e ever given out like this so I hope it improves peoples fish count on the bigger side , we never keep fish under 10 pounds and it`s common practice for us too release fish over 20 lbs depending on our day

Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
    Apr 27, 2003
    santee
    Visit site
    Name
    dwayne
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    I run my leader from the first guide from the tip of the rod all the way to the reel , iv`e been fishing this way for over 40 years , sometimes I have to back up a little bit for the gaff , I fish with a lot of scope which is why I prefer the longer leader , iv`e been lucky enough to fish with the same group of guys for over 50 years and these guys are awesome halibut fishermen and wevall fish the same way , every year in and out we land several fish ovet 30 lbs and 2 to 5 fish over 40 and the last couple of years we landed halibut over 50 lbs , this is all on 12 to 15 pound test , we start our halibut season in December fishing in 98 to 128 feet of water and we pay attention to the water temp and as it goes up we move in to shallower water , so try longer leaders if you like , I know its been good too my family for a lot of years , I think this is the most information iv`e ever given out like this so I hope it improves peoples fish count on the bigger side , we never keep fish under 10 pounds and it`s common practice for us too release fish over 20 lbs depending on our day
    Brings back a lot of memories. Tony Pena, Harry Okuda, Troy Grant, Gary Graham all loved to do that years ago in the lee of south.

DOGHOUSE26
    DOGHOUSE26
    Don't forget Don & Shirley Blackman I think she holds a couple of records from down there
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

michael e. bingham

May 26, 2015
    Name
    Pura Vida
    Boat
    Lot`s of old time Halibut fishermen ` Don Chin , the Blackman' s , Jay Brewer, Bill posey and so on , we fished with the Blackmans a lot and always shared information on depth , bait and so forth , my Dad Jim Bingham was a great halibut fisherman and we fished them year round , FYI Halibut fishing is really good right now

Upvote 0

TsTime

May 9, 2006
    IB
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    28' Alblemarle SF Ex
    Thanks for all the info, it takes a boatload of patience with the right crew to fish the Butt's!

Upvote 0