KneppNasty

Snappin’ necks & cashin’ checks....
Sep 10, 2017
Seal Beach, CA
Name
Jeramy
Boat
Trophy 2509
Just got back home to SoCal after my trip up to the Kenai Peninsula area of Alaska. (Will be heading back up there toward the end of July when salmon fishing on the Kenai River is traditionally the hottest. 🤷🏽‍♂️)

Went out halibut fishing on my own boat (18’ Hewescraft SeaRunner) out of the tractor launch at Deep Creek on June 12, 14, 17, with myself, my buddy Miles, and my dog, Jepetto.

Was eager to test out a couple of upgrades I had just completed on my boat to see how everything would work.
(Installed a new radar arch with ample overhead rod holders, also installed a new ECM computer module on my outboard motor to take it from 90hp up to 115hp. Gotta love 25hp extra from 2 minutes of easy labor - plug & play! 🤣 Also had some new halibut reels, rods, and jigs to put into the rotation.)

Was also eager to head back out to what we named “the Covid hole” to see if it was going to have an epic halibut bite like it had last year, each every single time we tried fishing it.
(The Covid hole is only a couple of miles from the launch and sits in 80ft of water…..hard to beat a super productive spot that only requires 2 gallons of gas to be burned all day, even when running at full speed.)

Let me tell you, the Covid hole did not disappoint this time around either! It was so good that we ended up going back and fishing it again the next 2 days in a row.
I’m absolutely in love with this spot! 🤣
Even with other boats in the close vicinity it has every single time produced steady 25-45lb halibut with the occasional 60-90lber.
Can’t complain about that!

As always, we would hang a chum bag on the anchor line filled with herring, and we would soak frozen herring on the bait rigs, with the new jigs deployed getting absolutely CRUSHED all throughout the tide. Was very glad to see that my new jigs were quite deadly.

With just Miles and myself on the boat we were able to catch our limits of (2) halibut each (any size) rather effortlessly on each of the trips.

All in all it was a very successful adventure, with regards to having an absolute blast and filling our freezers with fresh fillets.
(With only Miles and myself fishing from my own boat for those 3 trips, ultimately we were able to bring home a total of 200lbs of vacuum packed halibut fillets.)

So looks like it is shaping up to be a tremendous summer of fishing in Alaska. Can’t wait to get back up there when those fatty-pig-fatty salmon start making their way through those regions in mass quantities.

4B846186-583D-41D2-A290-82C603268213.jpeg

0A86953E-AF6E-4756-9620-6F82DC91B5A4.jpeg

05FE9C9B-1B65-44C5-A9AD-AFCA63A93445.jpeg

8361576F-745A-4EC4-B13F-6C108371C1F1.jpeg

EA48A649-DD20-4894-8D6B-3B8C63503646.jpeg

F8CB33F1-487C-4AB5-9736-D32E1E3AC336.jpeg

4A45FAE1-FFC4-4825-A486-5D83E6A4BC64.jpeg

8C36E7EB-7693-43CA-BC58-64FBAC2121D8.jpeg

FC12F4A7-D9EB-42E6-9643-CA275F3F2E99.jpeg

88F6F318-11AB-4860-8789-961E3A3D8D05.jpeg

FEA589C5-A6E2-4DDB-A4D3-3945198B352D.jpeg

49A54A7C-011D-4C5C-A90B-E5E77311CF53.jpeg

A704A1B6-1025-4DC5-B6FC-391726738CA6.jpeg

D456EF25-1B31-4A53-8C68-0D438E04268E.jpeg

A712D294-0C28-421A-9C1D-C6134250E4E6.jpeg

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    ’m absolutely in love with this spot! 🤣
    Even with other boats in the close vicinity it has every single time produced steady 25-45lb halibut with the occasional 60-90lber.
    Can’t complain about that!
    Very cool, sounds like you had a worth while trip!

Reactions: KneppNasty
    Upvote 0

KneppNasty

Sep 10, 2017
    Seal Beach, CA
    Name
    Jeramy
    Boat
    Trophy 2509

Pretty hard to beat flat calm sunny days on the Cook Inlet like this!! ☝🏼

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    It was incredible to say the least…..

Hows your season been shaping up so far??
    I'll be heading north for salmon, silvers, and king's! I go party boat in CA, it's been about 1 per rod, Cali halibut, out of San Fran.

Upvote 0

URN

Almost A Member
  • Feb 20, 2018
    Anchorage
    Name
    URN
    Boat
    Whaler 25
    Looks like hell of a trip. My ol man will be in Seward all of July and doubt we'll make it down to Deep Creek/Homer with the boat. Maybe dip netting on the Kenai is the closest we'll get. If timing works out it would be fun to meet up when you're up here next.

Upvote 0

KneppNasty

Sep 10, 2017
    Seal Beach, CA
    Name
    Jeramy
    Boat
    Trophy 2509
    Looks like hell of a trip. My ol man will be in Seward all of July and doubt we'll make it down to Deep Creek/Homer with the boat. Maybe dip netting on the Kenai is the closest we'll get. If timing works out it would be fun to meet up when you're up here next.

Right on! I’ll be back up there July 18 through August 7.

I’ve been wanting to take some buddies out to Seward to fish that region for something new and different for them, but no firm plans on the calendar for a trip there yet.

You should most definitely holler if you do make it down to the Kenai…..I’ll be spending a good amount of time on the river fishing reds whenever the 2nd run happens to peak.

Last week I went and fished reds on the Russian for the first time in quite a few years…..all that did was make me really miss fishing the Kenai with those big fatty Kenai reds and areas that are actually deeper than your ankles 😂

Do you do your dip netting from shore or from a boat??

Upvote 0

URN

Almost A Member
  • Feb 20, 2018
    Anchorage
    Name
    URN
    Boat
    Whaler 25
    Right on! I’ll be back up there July 18 through August 7.

I’ve been wanting to take some buddies out to Seward to fish that region for something new and different for them, but no firm plans on the calendar for a trip there yet.

You should most definitely holler if you do make it down to the Kenai…..I’ll be spending a good amount of time on the river fishing reds whenever the 2nd run happens to peak.

Last week I went and fished reds on the Russian for the first time in quite a few years…..all that did was make me really miss fishing the Kenai with those big fatty Kenai reds and areas that are actually deeper than your ankles 😂

Do you do your dip netting from shore or from a boat??
    Last year was the first year dip netting. We did it from shore. Our plan is to focus on lings and kings out of Seward. It seems Seward has the most variety closest. Halibut are 25-30 miles easy enough. Rockfish are 10 + miles out. Kings will be around whenever they're around and there are some resident feeder kings that stay year round. If you can find them. Its a magical place for sure.

Upvote 0

KneppNasty

Sep 10, 2017
    Seal Beach, CA
    Name
    Jeramy
    Boat
    Trophy 2509
    Last year was the first year dip netting. We did it from shore. Our plan is to focus on lings and kings out of Seward. It seems Seward has the most variety closest. Halibut are 25-30 miles easy enough. Rockfish are 10 + miles out. Kings will be around whenever they're around and there are some resident feeder kings that stay year round. If you can find them. Its a magical place for sure.
    Sounds like a solid plan for loading up your freezer for the year! 🙌🏽 Love it.

I really was hoping to be able to get into some kings this summer. Last year’s king fishery on the Kenai was pretty much non-existent, so that was a total bust.

Was hoping to do some trolling off the beach there in deep creek to try and hook a slob of a king while still in the salt.
    I caught a nice 60lb king on the Kenai a few years ago, and ever since that I’ve been itching to try and catch an even bigger one….although it’s seeming more and more like that feat will be impossible to achieve with every year that passes, like those monster kings are a thing of the past from ‘back in the good ‘ol days.’
    Sad.

D1DCB367-4BFF-4E0E-8770-5960FB234CBA.jpeg

Reactions: Tunahead and dsl
    Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Sounds like a solid plan for loading up your freezer for the year! 🙌🏽 Love it.

I really was hoping to be able to get into some kings this summer. Last year’s king fishery on the Kenai was pretty much non-existent, so that was a total bust.

Was hoping to do some trolling off the beach there in deep creek to try and hook a slob of a king while still in the salt.
    I caught a nice 60lb king on the Kenai a few years ago, and ever since that I’ve been itching to try and catch an even bigger one….although it’s seeming more and more like that feat will be impossible to achieve with every year that passes, like those monster kings are a thing of the past from ‘back in the good ‘ol days.’
    Sad.

View attachment 1292958
    Very nice! :urno1: I would settle for a 25lb!

Upvote 0

Randal

randal
    Nov 29, 2004
    California
    Name
    randal
    Boat
    19' Marine Specialty
    You guys killed it! Really nice fish. You guys need to get that poor guy cleaning fish on the deck a better table before his back goes out.

Upvote 0

KneppNasty

Sep 10, 2017
    Seal Beach, CA
    Name
    Jeramy
    Boat
    Trophy 2509
    You guys killed it! Really nice fish. You guys need to get that poor guy cleaning fish on the deck a better table before his back goes out.

Baaahahahahaha! 🤣
    Hey, thanks much.

Actually we have a super nice & dialed in commercial grade stainless steel fish cleaning station…..however that particular day Miles had decided to just knock em out there on the boat real quick because:

1. That day there happened to be (140) total boats that got launched by the Deep Creek tractor launch because it was a gorgeous sunny flat calm day with good halibut tides. So we had to wait over 1 hour for our turn to get picked up on our trailer.

2. In early June it is still very wet which means absurdly bad mosquitoes. Out on the boat/ocean there are no mosquitoes, so there was motivation to clean the fish and dump the guts real quick so as not to have to deal with it amongst a swarm of mosquitoes back home.

So while we had time to kill sitting there on the boat idling around waiting to get picked up we decided to forgo the use of our fish processing facilities in favor of the comfort and ease of getting it handled right then and there. 👍

Reactions: esgeo
    Upvote 0